Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charvel Socal, San Dimas 1, or Jackson SL2H?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

get a dk1 . kinda a mix of them all. i dont like neck thrus .

Comment

Both great guitars but i vote SL2H

Comment

Alright SL2H it is. Luckily I just got tons more hours next month that will help to pay for the Soloist.

So should I stick to eBay and here when I look for one or is there anywhere else that would be good? I almost never see any in shops around me. Also, it seems like $1400 is the average price for a standard no special run one, is this about right? I don't even mind finding an old beat up one as long as it plays well.

EDIT: I actually might broaden my search to include the SL1 as well. It would be nice having the ability to better play some more classic and clean stuff as well as teh normal metal. I don't usually use my neck pickup much anyway when I'm playing metal.
        Last edited by Sheddingskin; 07-29-2009, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Yep, I have ZERO guitars with a normal block heel. Deal killer for me in a guitar. Soloist by far. They all sound good but, it's easier to play the higher frets on a Soloist than on a SoCal.

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
          For me, it's not so much the "missing 2 frets" but the "how easy can I get to the usual 22" that makes the difference.

If you play in E up high on a typical bolt-on guitar like a Strat or San Dimas, you'll be angling your hand and trying to cram it into the cutaway, etc. At least I am. On a Soloist, I just "go right there." Nothing really gets in the way.
          Last edited by Robotechnology; 07-30-2009, 01:33 AM.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

here is better then ebay. also 1400 is too much for a used one. if theres none available here then ebay is a decent second choice. just make sure you see lots of pics and the sellers feedback is good. Ive bought plenty on the bay with good luck. Still I think you are better with a dk1. Can get 1 of those used for 1000 or less. sl2h anywhere from 1000 to 1200 depending on finish and condition.

Comment

I'm always looking for used Soloists (I like Soloists!) and I've posted several "E-fraid of Ebay" threads with Soloists for ridiculous prices.

I have even seen some beat-up ones go for close to $1000.

Occasionally someone sane puts up an ad for a nice one for a reasonable price. I think $1200 or so for a REALLY clean one is reasonable but the price drops quick as far as I'm concerned when there's big chunks of paint missing or functional issues.

Comment

In Charvel/Jacksons own a SL1, DK1 and two So-Cal's. I find myself playing the So-Cal's much more lately. All have Jumbo frets, compound radius fretboards and Floyds. I have grown quite found of the maple fretboards and learned that I do prefer the DiMarzio's Tone Zone over the JB's. Oiled backs of necks are sweet too.

The new So-Cals rock for $1K, much more so that say a Standard MIA Stratocaster. These are like the original Super Strats and feel more like a Strat than the Soloists do. A very easy transition if you've already been playing on Stratocasters.

My favorite bang for the buck guitars are:
                1. Charvel So-Cals ($1K)
                2. Carvin DC125/DC127 ($1.2 w/ Floyds)
                3. ESP MI Standard ($1.3K)

Comment

I picked up a so-cal for under $700. (mint, store demo, never sold). all i've done to it is schaller straplocks, upgraded pickguard, new knob and d-tuna w/ trem stop in rear.

OTOH, My soloist SL1 was around $1200 (mint, used)

of the two, SL1 is a better guitar. but guess which one gets more stage time? the Socal is a FUN guitar to play. I feel like i'm sacrificing nothing playing that out, bolt on or not its a sweet axe. In fact, i think it has a brighter tone than my SL1, which is partially due to the dimarzio pickup vs the JB in the SL1.

here's a vid of my Socal in action:
                  Mario, Highline's guitarist, whips out a classic Van Halen solo at the Number 5 Lounge's 80's night party in Binghamton NY. 7/24/09

And i don't worry about it getting sweated on, beer spills, dings / scratches. my fretboard is getting a nice brown color from all the mileage i'm putting on it lately. here's a pic of what it looked like last month (after owning it since ~ april 2009)
                  Last edited by maltomario; 08-06-2009, 11:48 AM.
                  Proud endorser of:
                  Steve Clayton Inc. http://www.steveclayton.com
                  GLS Audio http://www.glsaudio.com
                  Orange County Speaker http://www.speakerrepair.com/

Comment

i've had a few.. dropped my esp m-II collection for san dimas instead.
                    ....i bought #J0258 & #J1063 both are 100% org Kahler & H/H config and wouldn't even think twice about using anything else.

Comment

Working...
                    X