So which one is better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So which one is better?

I JUST put a Jackson Soloist SLSMG on layaway at a pawn shop for a STUPID cheap price(Lets say Under $300). She is in very cood condition. I have a Candy Apple Red Charvel Model 2 as well,and I was just kinda curious which one is better?I mean not as a player,but worth money in the long run,charm,etc? I like both of them,but I was "Kinda"thinking about selling the Charvel,IF the Jackson is the "better"guitar,,,in the long run. Anyhoo,lets hear some feedback!!
    HIGHLY MODDED Peavey Ultra Plus 120
    Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt Amp
    (2)Vader 2x12 Cabs
    Late 80's-early 90's Ibanez Tubescreamer
    Boss TU-2
    2005 Jackson SLSMG Soloist
    1986 Black Cherry Charvel Model 4
    1988 Blue Charvel Model 3DR

I'd take the Model 2 any day of the week (unless it was an 86 with that funky Kahler fulcrum).

Why:
    - Strat body
    - Bolt on
    - Maple board
    - 1 hum, 1 vol
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

another vote for the Charvel..far more charm in my opinion than the SLSMG.

Comment

Too different for an "apples to apples" comparison. Although I don't care for the bridge and pickups of the SLSMG, I think it's a very nice guitar.
        sigpic

Comment

I'll take neck-thru, ebony, and binding any day of the week, and twice on Sunday.
          Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

See The Charvel is not original (1986 "TM" Headstock,1987 or 1988 Body loaded with a jt-6) so the value wont be as near as a all original, and since I am a player,I am wondering the "long-term"value.I have bought and sold many guitars and I am just trying to find the "one" and I figured since the Charvel is considered "Vintage",,,BUT the Jackson is a Bonafide "Soloist"(Made in Japan Though). I am burnt out of Floyds(My Yamaha Baritone has a Floyd) and on the fly a Charvel cant be drop tuned compaired to the Jackson,,plus string changing. I have heard the Charvel model 2 are not that good on low tunings(I have never tried it,I always left it at E) and I really dig the "Smurf" headstock. I guess the Charvel is for the "Hard Rock/80's metal"while the Jackson is considered for the "heavier"side of music. The pickups on the SLSMG can be changed out in a matter of a Hour or so,and the bridge,well I can get used to that. Can anyone else chime in on this?? If I DID decide to sell the Charvel,should I part her out,since it isnt original,and/but I figured a Candy Apple Red Model 2 with a Maple Neck would be just orgasmic.
            Last edited by Dan; 07-28-2009, 05:45 AM.
            Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt Amp
            (2)Vader 2x12 Cabs
            Boss TU-2

Comment

sounds like you've made your mind up here that the Jackson is the keeper..best advice I can give is wait until the honeymoon is over with the Jackson and then decide...personally I have never sold a guitar that I didn't want back later down the road.

In the meantime send me your model 2 and see if you miss it when it's gone!!
              (I'll send it back when you ask...honest)

Comment

Did Model 2's come in "candy apple red?" I only remember ferrari red...

Anyway - neither of these guitars are collector pieces. Sure, one or the other may go up in value a tad, but you're kidding yourself if you think either of them are "special" guitars.
                -------------------------
                Blank yo!

Comment

Yes in 1988 they offered the Candy Apple Red and the Champange Pink.I know about selling guitars that I regret,but I hardly ever play the Charvel anymore. I have seen stupid prices on Charvels/Jacksons on (you know where,,,, even though most are inflated) and I would hate to let the Charvel go knowing that in 10 years will be worth alot(I have done that with cars).
                  Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt Amp
                  (2)Vader 2x12 Cabs
                  Boss TU-2

Comment

Slsmg

Comment

Neither will be worth a lot down the road IMO.They are both great high quality guitars none the less.I would keep both.
                      I find it odd when people say well I only need one guitar whats the use in having two or I'm so tired of floyds you can't drop tune them.
                      Sure you can do lower tunings with a floyd equipped guitar I do it all the time.
                      Neither guitar you have is better than the other just different.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

This would be a tough choice, but I think my vote (if it were me) might go to the Model 2. I love neck thrus, but that headstock is meh.

Now getting back to you and your decision, what should matter to you is which guitar would be the better fit for the style of music you play. Do you need a neck pickup? You say you don't need a Floyd...

Also, I think it would be easier to decide with pictures of each.

Comment

Working...
                        X