Ever given away a guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've done that before.

I just want to see them used instead of collected.

Esp if it's a kid who may not get the chance to have one for various reasons.
    If it's someone young, I'll usually throw in a 1st guitar lesson book too.

Who knows, they may be the next EVH or something.
    Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

my old kramer striker

i gave away totally against my will lol.but i agree if someone needs something alot more than you do,it feels good to give .

Comment

My buddy plays in a band but only had one guitar. I kept telling him he needed a backup when gigging so the last time he visited I gave him a black PS1 that was upgraded with dimarizios. Pretty solid backup IMO. I guess I converted him because he has since caught the Jackson GAS and purchased a couple of other Jacksons since then and he's looking at a snakeskin soloist now.

Comment

I gave my Dad a Martin HD-35 for Christmas three years ago.

Comment

yep...gave my older brother a focus 1000 years ago when he didn't have a guitar...actually i traded in a nicer kramer vanguard for 2 of the focus guitars expressly for the purpose of giving him one of them...sure i downgraded a bit but it made him happy...d.m.
            http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Gave away my first guitar to this ragged kid who used to always hang around, and he was so into metal and music, always wanted to hang with us of course we always gave him shit - but he was like 14 and his family poor as dirt - not that i wasn't but...i'm talking living in a shack, with parents never around ect...kinda felt bad for him cause my life wasn't so peachy either.

Before i moved away i said...here and handed it to him - he wasn't expecting that, and man i thought he might cry - looked about as happy as i did when i got it, parents probably never believed him that someone just gave it to him, lol, anyway- hope he's out there still jammin.

Comment

I'm going to build a Jackson mutt and give to a good friend of mine, for his birthday. He's heavilly into Ibanez, so...

Comment

Originally posted by tanpsi View Post
                  I gave away a peavey VTX classic, I was going to lug it to the store to sell, it was a hot day, the amp wieghed approxamtly 250 pounds, so this dude walked by with a RUSH shirt (I live near Berklee in Boston) so I said "do you want this? - it has heinous distortion"
                  My first "tube" amp.

Been over 20 years since I've heard one, but I've been wanting to get one again. They usually go for $200.

Comment

I gave an American Tele to a friend when I left for boot camp. He was a really good friend who I knew (due to family and economic situations) would never afford a good quality guitar. We have now been friends for 15 years and he still loves it. No regret.

I gave an American Strat to a girlfriend (who damaged ot prior to this in a fit of rage). She was crazy and I was blinded by the @$$. Huge regret.

I miss both guits but like what I have now just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Trem View Post
                      Gave away my first guitar to this ragged kid who used to always hang around, and he was so into metal and music, always wanted to hang with us of course we always gave him shit - but he was like 14 and his family poor as dirt - not that i wasn't but...i'm talking living in a shack, with parents never around ect...kinda felt bad for him cause my life wasn't so peachy either.

Before i moved away i said...here and handed it to him - he wasn't expecting that, and man i thought he might cry - looked about as happy as i did when i got it, parents probably never believed him that someone just gave it to him, lol, anyway- hope he's out there still jammin.
                      In a way I was "that kid" a hundred years ago when I started.
                      10 years old and a drooling dork at the thought of my own electric guitar.
                      To people like you, and the one that saw me as worthy, I thank you!

Comment

I have given away a guitar before. Bought a 2007 Squire, CA red to gut/mod. Changed damn near everything I possibly could... Sperzel locking tuners, Tusq bone nut, upgraded all pots, wires, jack and 5-way switch. Replaced stock pickups w/GFS overwound 70's gray bottoms. Couldn't replace the trem w/o routing or filling. Replaced all saddles w/Graphtechs.

Played out with it once in Ohio in August of '07. Used it to noodle around with at home. My son came over one day and eyed it. He played it for a couple hours as we jammed together. Following week I get a call from his wife. She was saying how much he loved it and wouldn't stop talking about it. She wanted to buy it off me and give it to him as an Xmas present. WTF do you sell a $200 axe for when you've spent well over $500 on it in mods? We struck some sort of a bogus agreement (on my part) for some said amount. Payments and a payment plan was discussed. When payment one was due I called and told her to forget about it and give it to him as a gift from her.

So I guess I actually gave it to her, not to my son directly. She, in turn, gave it to him as a present. He and I play in a band together and play out once a month. He uses it exclusively.... that is, until he pays off the Model 3A he's getting from me. I would really miss the 3A if it went elsewhere. I'd like to keep that one in the family until the neck rots off.
                        In an insane world, only the sane seem crazy.

Comment

I just gave a buddy of mine a Les Paul. He is on the road and was playing on a shitty mutt. Made his day to say the least.

Must be my aversion to Gibson never can keep one.

I give guitars as Christmas gifts every nephew I have has received one or two from me. All my kids have them.

My grandson now has three.... Not bad for a fourteen month old!

Here he is rocking for Elmo

“The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is winning an argument with a liberal”

Comment

Nothing as nice a Japanese Jackson. I gave my buddies little bro a Chinese Ibanez GIO fat-strat-type I got off one of the auction sites at a price Fett would've been proud of. It was a display model and I meant to refinish it and put it on ebay. It actually played surprisingly well. He plays the crap out of it, he likes it much better than his crappy Warlock.
                            |My CSG gallery|
                            (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

Are you counting times when you lent a "friend" an axe and he never "returned" it?
                              I'm sure that's happened to a few of us, eh?

Actually, I remember I gave Rich (lerxstcat) a Yamaha that was in the JCF Classifieds as a birthday present: http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89718
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                              X