Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Identifying Possilbe USA Find!

Hey guys!

I normally lurk the Jackson section, but I was in a pawnshop today, and I saw a cool Charvel labeled a 'USA' on the tag... Not sure it is, though.

Does this sound legit?

Pointy, bound headstock
    22 frets
    sharkfin inlays / bound rosewood fb
    metallic blue finish
    s/s/h, covered jackson pickups
    JT-590 trem, i believe (the same one on my '89 USA Custom Soloist.)

It didn't have an MIJ label anywhere, but it didn't say Made in USA on the headstock. Did Charvel do that?

Originally posted by Drazden View Post
    Hey guys!

I normally lurk the Jackson section, but I was in a pawnshop today, and I saw a cool Charvel labeled a 'USA' on the tag... Not sure it is, though.

Does this sound legit?

Pointy, bound headstock
    22 frets
    sharkfin inlays / bound rosewood fb
    metallic blue finish
    s/s/h, covered jackson pickups
    JT-590 trem, i believe (the same one on my '89 USA Custom Soloist.)

It didn't have an MIJ label anywhere, but it didn't say Made in USA on the headstock. Did Charvel do that?
    Is the logo on the headstock a script logo, similar to the Jackson logo? If so, then you are looking at a Charvel Model 475DLX (made in Japan)
    Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by Tekky View Post
      Is the logo on the headstock a script logo, similar to the Jackson logo? If so, then you are looking at a Charvel Model 475DLX (made in Japan)
      Yeah, the font was very similar to my Jackson's, except the lettering wasn't quite as big as it was on the catalog scans I've seen of the MIJ Charvels.

So, not a USA, then? It felt pretty good, but if it ain't USA...

Comment

Toothpaste logos = import. But if the price is right & it feels good, don't let the pedigree keeps you away.

Comment

what is the serial# on the neckplate. that will help to identify the guitar.

joe...
          www.godwentpunk.com
          www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

Pawn shop probably saw the FT. Worth, TX address on the plate and thought it was a USA.
            -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by GodWentPUNK View Post
              what is the serial# on the neckplate. that will help to identify the guitar.

joe...
              Originally posted by rjohnstone
              Pawn shop probably saw the FT. Worth, TX address on the plate and thought it was a USA.
              Since when? Serial number might be a key to the year of an import, but never the model. And with the Contemporary series, they dropped the Fort Worth off the neck plate.

Based upon what he's saying, I'd bet pretty good money it's a 475DLX. The script Charvel logo, 22-fret bound neck and headstock is a pretty big clue.
              Occupy JCF

Comment

Although it may not be a USA, those are really good guitars!

Comment

And with the Contemporary series, they dropped the Fort Worth off the neck plate.
                  The 275, 375, 475 and 575 (Bass) are part of the Classic Series, not the Contemporary Series.
                  The Contemporary series are the Spectrum, Predator and Legend and all had reverse headstocks. (Info based on the 1989 catalog scans)

The neck plate on my 1989/90 375 has the FT. Worth address on it.
                  -Rick

Comment

OK, my mistake.

The neckplate on my 1989/90 475 does not have the Ft. Worth address on it.
                    Occupy JCF

Comment

OK, my mistake.

The neckplate on my 1989/90 475 does not have the Ft. Worth address on it.
                      No biggie really.
                      Does your serial start with a 2 or a 3?
                      Mine starts with a 29xxxx (don't recall the exact number). I think the ones that started with a 3, lost the FT. Worth address.
                      -Rick

Comment

Working...
                      X