No announcement yet.

Does anyone prefer non-recessed FR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first floyd (first real guitar really) had a recessed floyd. My second, had a non-recessed. At the time, as a kid, I probably didn't even understand the difference.

One thing I notice now, especially with strat style knobs is that a recessed floyd puts your hand very very close to the knob and I tend to bump it down in volume a bit more often. I had this problem on that first guitar and then again with my Fusion. The Dave Murray strat has the volume knob just a hair further away (but no recessed floyd, obv) - and that seems to work well - I mentioned this to the Warmoth guys when I ordered a pickguard this week. I told them - if you offer a "Tom Delonge" knob placement, you should look into a Dave Murray knob placement.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

The Delonge knob thing doesn't look right to me with the other 2 positions, anyway. I like the 2-knob setup on your Adrian Smith sig.

I had that same problem with my 475, that damn knob was too close to my pinky, always turning it down.

Comment

i cant get used to recessed floyds or hard tails. my first git had a non recessed floyd, most of the guitars i had early on were non recessed floyd or TOM/badass. now it just feels odd.

Comment

no
          JvicE

Comment

I prefer the non-recessed. Purely for aesthetics. I can do all of those dime and herman li fancy whammy tricks, and the flutter which isn't in those vids, but I dont like to. I really only use it hit a harmonic and slowly lower it, not even a dive bomb, though I do sometimes for fun. So it's pointless to have a recessed one for me, which is why I REALLY want the adrian sig!
            I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

Comment

Yes, I do too.

For feel and also aesthetics.

I won't ever buy a guitar with recessed floyd again, I can't play good enough on them. So I'm looking only for '83-'89 Jacksons as only those had non-recessed floyds.

Comment

I do like the non recessed better more neck angle= more comfy.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Yes .

Comment

No , even though my first real guitar was my Model 88 . After I bought my first soloist if was all over . I just find more comfortable to play . I will play a non recessed but it not my first choice .
                    Mike
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------
                    SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
                      i hate non recessed floyds. all the things you guys like are what i hate. i like a very streamlined feel, and a recessed floyd manages to create that for me
                      This!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                        One thing I notice now, especially with strat style knobs is that a recessed floyd puts your hand very very close to the knob and I tend to bump it down in volume a bit more often. I had this problem on that first guitar and then again with my Fusion. The Dave Murray strat has the volume knob just a hair further away (but no recessed floyd, obv) - and that seems to work well - I mentioned this to the Warmoth guys when I ordered a pickguard this week. I told them - if you offer a "Tom Delonge" knob placement, you should look into a Dave Murray knob placement.

+1...I used to have a non-recessed Floyd, and there was nice clearance over the top of the volume knob for my picking hand. Recessed Floyds...not so much!

Comment

I like the non recessed trem s much more. I can set it up for full floating or dive only. Om My SD1 and my Axis I have the floyd mounted flat on the body in a dive only position. It makes changing strings and staying in tune if I break a string much easier.

Comment

I go either way without issues. Either look doesn't bother me.

There is truth to the neck angle = comfort. It brings the guitar closer to the player by "wrapping" it around the body.

Comment

i can go either way...but i have found that a non-recessed floyd is better for muting with my playing style...probably because it's what i got used to for many many years...d.m.
                              http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

I have and use both, but given a choice I prefer recessed...it keeps my hand in the same position as it would be on a vintage style trem which I prefer.

Comment

Working...
                                X