Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Non-guitar purchase: A journey to the dark side...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-guitar purchase: A journey to the dark side...

Picked this up the end of July after much research on modern analog synthesizers. It's a Dave Smith Instruments Prophet 08 analog polysynth.

That's the Prophet on the top tier. Below it is a Fatar 88-key midi controller.

Dave Smith was a key engineer at Sequential Circuits back in the late 70's and 80's. Sequential's Prophet 5 was an incredibly popular synth, as it was one of the first polysynths with patch memory storage (you couldn't save presets on old analog synths). It was used by the likes of Genesis, the Cars, INXS, Eurythmics, Duran Duran, etc. Sequential closed its doors in 1987. Dave later went to work for Korg before forming his own company.

The Prophet 08 has a sound similar to the Prophet 5, thanks to its utilization of Curtis analog chips, similar to the Prophet 5.

For those unfamiliar with analog synths, some information will be useful. Analog synths come in two flavors; monophonic and polyphonic. Monophonic means only one note can be played at a time (no chords). Polyphonic means multiple notes can be sounded simultaneously to form chords. On polyphonic synths, a single note is called a "voice". Therefore, a polysynth that can play a miximum of 8 notes at one time is said to have 8 voices. The Prophet 08 has 8 voices. The Prophet 5 had 5 voices.

Don't confuse "voice" with "preset sound". they are different things. Again, a voice basically means a single note.

Each voice on an analog synth will typically have either 2 or 3 oscillators. The Prophet has 2 oscillators per voice. An oscillator is basically a tone generator.

The waveform of each oscillator gives the voice its tonal characteristic. Typical waveforms are sawtooth, triangle, and square.

When creating a preset sound, you can use one or two waveforms for the sound. If using the same waveform, you typically detune them slightly from one another to fatten the sound. Or, you can use different waveforms, i.e., one sawtooth and one triangle and blend them for the sound you are seeking.

The sound you create using the two oscillators is shared across each voice (i.e., you cant create a different preset sound for each of the 8 voices simultaneously).

The Prophet 08 has a total of 16 oscillators (2 oscillators per each of the 8 voices). When running the synth in poly mode, each voice gets 2 oscillators. When running the synth in mono mode, the one available voice gets all 16 oscillators, which makes for a very rich, fat (phat, if you will) sound.

The Prophet 08 can run in a number of different configurations:

1) Full keyboard, one preset sound across all keys, polyphonic mode, 8 voices, 2 oscillators per voice.
    1) Full keyboard, one preset sound across all keys, monophonic mode, 1 voices, 16 oscillators for the voice.
    2) Split keyboard, one preset sound for the left half, a different preset sound for the right half. Each half has 4 voices, 2 oscillators each. However, you can opt to run each half of the split in mono or poly mode. A popular configuration is to run the bass keys in mono mode for fat bass sounds (8 oscillators for the one bass voice), while running the treble keys in poly mode for chords (4 available voices, 2 oscillators per voice).
    3) "Layer "mode where two 4-voice preset sounds are stacked on top of each other, allowing a unique combinations of sounds. This allows you play play a maximum of 4 voices at once, with 4 oscillators per voice (2 oscillators for each preset sound).

Sound-wise, think late 70s, early 80's Rush (Moving Pictures and Signals Era), Van Halen (1984 era), Styx (pretty much all of their 70's and early 80s stuff). Rush, Van Halen, and Styx used Oberheim synths back in the day, but the Prophet sounds similar, as Oberheims used the same Curtis analog chips as the Prophet does.

This is not a "modeling" synth; no dog barks, hand claps, or piano sounds. Just good ol' synthesizer sounds.

To create a sound on an analog synth, you start with your oscillators, and customize the sound by adjusting up to three "envelopes", which control the attack, decay, sustain, and release of the note volume, filter volume, and pitch. The most common envelope is the note volume (also called Amp as it controls the amplifier for the note). Attack means how fast the note starts when you press the key (immediate, like an organ, or a slow swell). Decay is how fast the note falls down to the sustain level after you hit the note. Sustain controls the volume of the note while the key is being held. Release is how long it takes for the note to trail off after the key is released.

The aforementioned filter is a control that lets you control the harmonic content of the note. It doesn't change the pitch, but adjusts the levels of the harmonics in the note. You know that awesome opening note from Tom Sawyer? That is a filter sweep, meaning that the harmonic content is being adjusted over time. The filter envelope is used to adjust the sweep.

There are a number of other adjustments as well, such as the LFOs, or Low Frequency Oscillators. These are different oscillators than the ones used to give a voice its sound. The LFOs are used to give a voice vibrato. The LFOs can also be mapped to perform other function, such as volume, filter control, and more. The Prophet 08 has 4 LFOs, each of which can control a different tonal aspect of the voice's sound.

All in all, there's 50 some knobs and about 20 switches to tweak your sound. Your creations can be stored in one of 256 locations.

I've been bringing the Prophet to band practice, and we use it on Orgy, Nine Inch Nails, The Cars, Linkin Park, etc. We've also been messing around with Subdivisions by Rush, and I connected a piano sound module via MIDI to it last night and we worked on "Love is a Long Road" by Tom Petty.

I've messed around with keyboards for the past 15 years, but only now have I been serious about learning and practicing. It is quite sobering to start a new instrument, and be whisked back to the days of "uh, I don't know how to play a C#m7". I have to figure new chords out note for note right now.

I just picked up a Fishman Chorus pedal to fatten the sound up a bit more. Fishmans are popular among keyboardists, as they do a good job of not coloring the original tone since they are designed for acoustic guitars.

So... are there any other synth enthusiasts on the board?

- E.
    Last edited by AlexL; 10-11-2009, 08:10 PM.
    Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Now that is very cool!!
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Outstanding!
      Now get some time on it.

I have owned an Ensoniq SD1-32 Voice for many years.
      It is a workstation/digital synth with all sorts of controls on both sides-composition/midi and synth wave forms etc.
      It also is not a modeller-it is the real deal...but alas, not enough time spent with it.

Cool deal!

Comment

just messed around with old Vermona, gives you that great nintendo 8-bit sound

I really want ARP Odyssey though, that thing does the craziest sounds and does that psychedelic George Clinton P-funk sound very well
        Last edited by Endrik; 10-12-2009, 05:16 AM.
        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by AlexL View Post
          To create a sound on an analog synth, you start with your oscillators
          Or to get that piece of shit in tune
          Remember the original mini Moog's, awesome sounds but you could never replicate the same sound exactly and sometimes because of the heat the oscillators were fucked up and everything went out of tune

Chic Corea used to carry tons of stuff to gigs, concert piano, Rhodes, Clavinet, Odyssey etc. and of course mini Moog.

Check this out, amazing performance but the moog acts funny
          Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
            Or to get that piece of shit in tune
            Remember the original mini Moog's, awesome sounds but you could never replicate the same sound exactly and sometimes because of the heat the oscillators were fucked up and everything went out of tune

Chic Corea used to carry tons of stuff to gigs, concert piano, Rhodes, Clavinet, Odyssey etc. and of course mini Moog.

Check this out, amazing performance but the moog acts funny
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSksWyHsYw8
            Yep, that's definitely true. A buddy of mine has an Oberheim OB-8, and sometimes when he turns it on it works, and sometimes it doesn't. Those old synths had so many components in them, that breakdowns and flaky operation were common.

My Prophet has an analog signal path, but the oscillators are controlled digitally. It may not as purely analog as the vintage synths, but at the trade of avoiding all of the hassles the old beasts had, it's a trade-off I'm happy to make.

- E.

Comment

Congrats on the Prophet!! Great synth, a definite keeper there. I have an older first gen Motif 6 and an ION at the moment, and have bad gas for an Andromeda, but the Prophet is an instant classic no doubt. The only thing that keeps me from wanting one is the trouble I've had with the Evolvers; my mind just can't get around what they are doing most of the time
              Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

Originally posted by AlexL View Post
                Yep, that's definitely true. A buddy of mine has an Oberheim OB-8, and sometimes when he turns it on it works, and sometimes it doesn't. Those old synths had so many components in them, that breakdowns and flaky operation were common.

My Prophet has an analog signal path, but the oscillators are controlled digitally. It may not as purely analog as the vintage synths, but at the trade of avoiding all of the hassles the old beasts had, it's a trade-off I'm happy to make.

- E.
                oh yeah, Oberheim OB-8's were amazing but totally unreliable

most people know British and German bands because all kinds of synth sounds but actually it were the French and Italians who did the most experimenting with all kinds of synths in the 70's. Totally out of box, bizarre stuff. But while they had fun with all that cool vintage stuff in the studio, they opted for more modern models for live concerts. They too have some digital components.
                Kinda sucks when none of the functions work when you are one the stage in front of thousands of people.

I've personally tried all kinds of soviet/eastern block stuff... some were cool but some were capable of doing the most annoying sounds ever... like Junost 21. And some local indie bands these days think that those sounds are cool and use the worst settings possible. I want to tear my ears out.
                Last edited by Endrik; 10-12-2009, 10:27 AM.

Comment

I don't play keys myself but I remember seeing the Sequential Circuits/Prophet stuff in the music stores back in the day. Funny you should mention Tom Sawyer and Subdivisions by Rush. My band did those two covers and since we don't have a keyboard player we got someone to put the midi tracks on a mini-disc player for us. That opening hit on Tom Sawyer from the Oberheim was really difficult to find but the guy found it somewhere and we were able to do a fairly authentic version of it I wish I did play keys though. Congrats on the Prophet!
                  Rudy
                  www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                    I don't play keys myself but I remember seeing the Sequential Circuits/Prophet stuff in the music stores back in the day. Funny you should mention Tom Sawyer and Subdivisions by Rush. My band did those two covers and since we don't have a keyboard player we got someone to put the midi tracks on a mini-disc player for us. That opening hit on Tom Sawyer from the Oberheim was really difficult to find but the guy found it somewhere and we were able to do a fairly authentic version of it I wish I did play keys though. Congrats on the Prophet!
                    Thanks!

Subdivisions is a great song on keys. It was a good song to start learning chords with. Witch Hunt from Moving Pictures was actually the first song I learned, but Subdivisions is a bit more challenging, and therefore, more fun to play.

I was able to get REALLY close to the Subdivisions sound with the Prophet. The lead sound I programmed for it is a little more agressive sounding than the one on the recording, but I did that on purpose because I prefer it that way. But the rhythm sound I pretty much nailed dead on.

One of the presets on the Prophet is actually called Tom Sawyer. It doesn't nail the sweep quite right, but the lead sound is awesome. You can hear it in this clip (not me playing, BTW). This clip was what really sold me on the Prophet. Literally. I watched the clip and said to myself "That's the one!".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh1BU8tY4Kc

- E.

Comment

Originally posted by jim777 View Post
                      Congrats on the Prophet!! Great synth, a definite keeper there. I have an older first gen Motif 6 and an ION at the moment, and have bad gas for an Andromeda, but the Prophet is an instant classic no doubt. The only thing that keeps me from wanting one is the trouble I've had with the Evolvers; my mind just can't get around what they are doing most of the time
                      I haven't tried the Evolvers. The Prophet is definitely a different beast. Evolvers are "virtual analog", meaning it is all digital but is meant to act like an analog synth. But functionally, they are very similar.

I need more time learning how to tweak sounds. I can dial in some great synth sounding stuff, but it can do some off the wall stuff as well. I need to analyze some of those crazier presets to see how they achieve those sounds.

The Motifs are nice, and the IONs are popular as well. Those are a couple of nice synths to have.

- E.

Comment

Yeah, the ION is an 8 voice VA as well, lots of fun to play with. Have you been over to vintagesynth.com? Tons of synth info (synfo?) over there.
                        Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

Originally posted by jim777 View Post
                          Yeah, the ION is an 8 voice VA as well, lots of fun to play with. Have you been over to vintagesynth.com? Tons of synth info (synfo?) over there.
                          vintagesynth.com is great. Tons of good information there.

- E.

Comment

What kinda tubes in it?

Comment

Working...
                            X