Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Ibanez fans ?

Hey guys!

I have always been a Fender guy. I think that it's a design that is partly there in all the guitars i own. Since most guitars seem to lend a huge of their design and feel off the stratocasters anyways. So naturally i really bonded with Jacksons, but good ones are hard to come by seeing as the really good ones are often usa's and they always keep huge value! i had always disliked Ibanez's before. Mostly because i felt the newer models were overrated. Eventually i got to play a nice Korean made neck-thru. From then i was hooked. Not as much as the day i bought my first jem. I bought an old school 88 jem and since then i swear by the late 80's early 90's ibanez's.

Here are some i've owned, and the only one i have left. A 1989 early RG550 yellow with the rare black headstock. It plays as good as the jems. Only difference is cosmetic, the scallops and of course the pick-ups are different. Though they are early v7's and the age and probably old wax have made them sound crisp. Very authentic 80's hair metal sound and good all around performance. she places scary fast and is hands down the best guitar i've had.

anyways enough talk!

Wow i really sold a lot of good guitars

I sold all of these guitars to buy....

I have a soft spot for the late 80's early 90's MIJ RG's they are very good guitars.
    I have a 92 550 and a 91 570 both kick ass.Had an 89 USA custom too and it was way bad ass.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

i had a RG320DX and that sucker could shred. it was cheap and played better than any jackson within under a grand. i sold it because it just didn't have any real tone (and i'd just bought my RR5 so it didn't get much use). the neck was later broken at a hardcore show.
      good tone isn't something you learn, its something you develop.

Comment

I just sold my '93 RG 770 DX. I miss it already... really nice guitar. I like the RG body shape better than the Jackson Dinky shape - seems a little bigger and meatier overall.

My main issue with Ibanez is that they produce a lot of guitars and a lot of different models and have everything nestled in every price point. Top that off with a horrid model name scheme that consists of too many numbers and letters - utterly confusing.

I think I'd like to get a LNG Universe, maple board, pyramid inlays. That's probably about the only Ibanez lust I have right now.
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

Never had an "I been had"

Nothing against them. RG550's look very nice. I love thin necks. I like the body shape. H-S-H pickup config is fine.

Almost got an old red one for $350 on craigslist a while back but didn't get off my ass to go get it.

I am model number challenged with them. I'd have to spend some time figuring out what is what,

Comment

Love me some old school Ibanez:

Comment

Oh boy do I love ibanez? They're just about the best guitars I have played. No Jackson, ESP, Fender or Gibson have felt so good as ibanez.. For me, anyway. I currently have 2 ibanezes: RG2570e VGD and S470 that I bought couple days ago. Love the 2570, but not so sure about this 470.. It's made in korea anyway, so no wonder why it doesnt' compare with my mij 2570.
              Gear currently owned:

Ibanez RG3120TW '02, Ibanez Roadstar 440P, Samick valley arts custom pro bass, Charvel model 5
              Line 6 Pod x3 live, diy Madamp M15mk1

Comment

My friend has a late 80's (I think '88 or '89, but I forget for sure) RG550, and it's the best thing I've ever played. Sounds the greatest, and I can shred for days on it

I've also tried a newer (not that new, '96 or '97) RG3120 Prestige. Superb guitar, sounded and played amazingly. Was sold while I was saving up for it

If I had a chance to get one or both of those guitars, I would pounce like a mountain lion.

Oh nice Jem, pink guitars are amazing imo

Comment

yeah i like em...own a saber and a 90 rg 570 that someone stripped the finish off of tuned to drop c...the rg plays as good if not better than some jems i have owned...d.m.
                  http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Originally posted by diablomozart View Post
                    yeah i like em...own a saber and a 90 rg 570 that someone stripped the finish off of tuned to drop c...the rg plays as good if not better than some jems i have owned...d.m.
                    It's basically a Jem to begin with, just less bells and whistles.

The numbering system is not a logical one, but it's easy to get

Anything below the RG5xx series is usually made in korea and as it nears the bottom it would be china/indonesia respectively. So again RG4xx series and lower are usually korean and RG5xx and up are japanese made. There were a few early RG470's made in japan. Some are apparently brilliant guitars, but they have less appeal than the nicer RG5xx series and the RG7xx.

RG550 = RG(model) 550 denotes the pickguard and HSH pickups
                    RG570 = RG while 570 denotes HSH without pickguard
                    RG560 = Less common RG's with HSS
                    RG565 = Even less common with Humbucker and single coil neck pick-up
                    RG520 = RG model 520 denotes dual humbucker and no pickguard

Now this is where it gets people. The RG7xx models.

RG750 = Same as RG550 + shark tooth inlays and nicer finish options
                    RG760 = Same as RG560 + Shark tooth inlays and nicer finish options
                    RG765 = Extremely rare guitar. Same as RG565 with shark tooth inlays and better finishes.
                    RG770 = RG model 770 denotes HSS with mounted pick-ups and a non functional transparent pick-guard + sharkfin inlays which could be made to match body color. (these are my favorites, i have yet to get my hands on one)

Comment

Yeah, but now they have like RG 1565 DLXMHMG and stuff like that...
                      -------------------------
                      Blank yo!

Comment

I dig my 560...
                        It's been through hell and back again, but keeps on ticking.

-Rick

Comment

My old RG620 workhorse still feels great to play

..though I did replace the lo-pro edge trem for a shaller low profile after barely 2 years
                          Wise man say: "If Tremolo arm remains squeeky, and gold turns to silver, rip the fucker out and get a better one
                          "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                            Yeah, but now they have like RG 1565 DLXMHMG and stuff like that...
                            They added the (1)550. They wanted to make a clear separation between the classes. So anything with 4 digits is usually prestige. I don't the above guitar actually exist. Jackson does this too. Like a Dinky DK2LTFSFF

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
                              My old RG620 workhorse still feels great to play

..though I did replace the lo-pro edge trem for a shaller low profile after barely 2 years
                              Wise man say: "If Tremolo arm remains squeeky, and gold turns to silver, rip the fucker out and get a better one
                              WHAT ? All you had to do was replace the little seals. Do you still have it :P ?

Comment

Working...
                              X