87-89 Peavey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 87-89 Peavey

Was out buying some cases today and landed a nice used Jackson Dinky case, but a guitar caught my eye way in the back of the store.
    Me being a guitar whore and seeing a pointy headstock I had to look.
    Well lo and behold it was an old Peavey Nitro III 87-89 as to date of mfg dating these is a nightmare.
    I got to looking it over and thought damn this looks like my old one that the neck pick up never worked in and yep neck pickup dead in the water.
    Checked the serial number and yep again( I keep the serial numbers in my little black book).
    So I pay the 100.00 and take it home.
    Black with black hardware and Kahler 2700 trem, electronics still original too.
    Damn fine player wonder why I ever sold it.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

I think I have the same guitar. Just got one a couple of weeks ago for $80. It's got a bananna headstock with the three carves in it, single hum, 2700, black with rosewood board.

The issue with mine if the body is hose up at the trem. The post are pulled forward and the wood is busted. Needs some body work. I have it de-tuned to D, but even with the action a mile high (trem high and forward) it still plays fairly nice and has good tone.

I've been trying to find one on ebay and they don't seem too common. I guess I'll have to repair the body, as scoring a used one doesn't look like it will happen.

Comment

Mine has 1 hum 2 singles and is real solid in the trem area.Had to tweak the neck a little in the pocket and do a truss rod adj.
      Now have to figure out why the neck pick up isn't working.The bridge pick up reads 15.8k the middle is 6.90k and the neck is 15.8k which tells me its not wired correctly or is tied into the bridge some how.May be some odd Peavey wiring thing they did.
      Not much info on these guitars.
      The trem works great but I think the strings are pretty much dead so its not returning to pitch on the g and b strings.
      Plays great and the bridge hum rocks.

Comment

You carry a book around with you containing serial #s of every guitar you ever owned?
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Yeah Ron I do as silly as it sounds its really helped because I've had so many.
          I log in the reason why I sold it too just not to get hold of a turd all over again.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
            You carry a book around with you containing serial #s of every guitar you ever owned?
            I sure as hell wish I did!!!!!
            Why the hell doesn't Eddie pick up a goddamned guitar and play something?

Current Junk:
            98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

I started about 10 years ago and wow I have has a lot of guitars.

Comment

I think my bridge pickup is stock just because it's all rusty and looks old. Haven't pulled or measured it, but it's definitely high output and beefy (lot of bass). Of course this could be a result of the guitar being tuned to D.

Comment

Don the hum should be painted black on the bottom if it is its a Peavey pick up.
                  Had it all apart today and the hum is a black bottom.
                  Still never found out why the neck pick up is dead because I get a reading.cleaned the toggle but still not working.I will change the switch in hopes to fixing the problem.
                  Had an old Kahler auto latch system so I put that on to help the trem come back to pitch better but not happy with the unit so I pulled it out and boxed it back up.
                  Blocked the trem to dive only but still not coming back to pitch correctly so no big deal just won't use the trem on this one.
                  Great player tho as is.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                      Yeah Ron I do as silly as it sounds its really helped because I've had so many.
                      I log in the reason why I sold it too just not to get hold of a turd all over again.
                      Actually, it's a good idea; I laughed because it reminded me of yesterday's Garfield:

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

LMAO Ron good one.
                        Got the neck pick up up and running had to reconnect the small hair like wire that was it.

Comment

Yours looks just like mine except for mine being a single hum, and one volume knob. I'll need to take it apart to see how bad the body damage is.

Why do Peavey's get such a bad rap? In the past month I've scored this an a Peavey Predator, which seems like a fine strat style axe. Compares good to the MIM 50s axe I have, but I must admit I'm not much of a single coil player.

Comment

Sold an old Peavey Tracer to a pawn shop a long time ago and when I went in today they had sold the guitar long time back but still had the Peavey case so I bought it and yep the Nitro fit perfectly.Score !!
                            Yeah I agree Don these are really nice guitars why they get a bad rap is beyond me.
                            I look at it this way yeah Peavey made some turds along the way but some are damn nice.Made in USA guitar to me so worth something right?
                            If I see a Tracer ,Nitro or Vandenberg model I check them out.
                            Last edited by straycat; 02-16-2010, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Made in USA guitar to me so worth something right?
                              If I see a Tracer ,Nitro or Vandenberg model I check them out.
                              I agree 100%

And you can't complain about the price!

Comment

Working...
                              X