1950 Martin D-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 Martin D-18

my wife's grandma in Atlanta just passed away after a long decline, I guess she was a radio country music singer in the 1930's, and she had an old Martin guitar for years. this guitar has now come to my wife in the estate. it's an all original D-18, and based on the serial number and Martin's well-documented numbering system we've pegged it at a 1950 model year. she got it new that year or in 51 as a gift after leaving a prior guitar on a bus one day.

it's actually in decent shape considering, but it's taken some abuse over the years. the top has a couple hairline cracks and dings, and play marks above the sound hole, but no splitting. there's wear on the sides, and scratches around the back edge. the neck and nut are fine and the headstock is good too. action is decent, not too low or too high. the fretboard is dry and needs much love. it has the open gear tuners, the G string tuner post (to the knob) is slightly bent, I'll see about straightening it. I bought a new case to have it shipped in, I guess the original case was shot.

the main issue on the guitar is the bridge is cracked along the peg holes and by the saddle, pushing the saddle down and forward. but it still plays, and damn if it wasn't in tune, right out of the case/box from Atlanta to CA yesterday. even with the messed up bridge and old beat strings, the notes and harmonics really jump off this thing, especially small half barre chords up the neck, it's very lively. I'm impressed and interested to see what it will be like once I clean it up and put new strings on it.

I'll have to get a new bridge made for it eventually. I also have to take some better pics of it in the sunlight.

Last edited by skorb; 02-26-2010, 03:40 AM.
    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Looks like it's in decent condition for 60 years old, I'd have the bridge-issue done by a Martin-certified luthier - it would be well-worth the investment.

Also, check out http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/ for more info, it's got a LOT of Martin-related info...last but not least, place a piece of cotton cloth between that guitar and the hanger - that foam will eat straight through nitro lacquer (ask me how I know...)...
    Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

Wow, your Gramma-in-law sounds like a hell of a cool woman. Sorry for her passing, but glad that you're now the custodian of such a cool guitar with a great history. Personally, I'd hit up Dan Erlewine to do the repair, but that's me.

Sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

cool, thanks mission, I'll do that with the cotton.
        these are supposed to be nitro finish neutral but can't hurt with this kind of vintage instrument.

I took some better pics today. this is in 'as-received' condition, old strings and all.

Comment

sully - Erlewine huh? I've only ever heard about him, didn't know he still was active. kinda like Yoda LOL

you can see the crack in the bridge along the pins in the last pic, the saddle is bowing just a bit toward the sound hole as a result, but again, still plays.

I'm oiling and cleaning it up now, had to order new bridge pins (ebony) as the ones in it were plastic and one broke coming out.

Comment

Dan is in fact, the man. He's very involved with Stewart MacDonald in Ohio. Him or Erick Coleman (also with stewmac) would be a good place to go for the repair.

Such a cool guitar, man.

sully
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

+1 with Sully DE is a great guy.The only other guy I would let work on that guitar passed away some years ago(Homer Ledford) so DE is the man to contact.
              If you google Homer Ledford its an interesting read he was the king of the saw.
              A very humble man and and awesome bluegrass picker.He helped me a lot when it came to learning guitar repair.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

yeah it appears all it would be is a bridge replacement. the large triangular bridge plate up underneath feels like it's in good shape.

thanks for the kind words and recommendations guys. random fact I learned along the way: Martin made just under 5000 guitars in 1950.

weird coincidence, I grew up in PA and went to college in Bethlehem, about 20 mins from Nazareth.

Comment

great guitar and the sentimental part adds to its coolness....enjoy!!
                  www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
                  My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

I sold a 1938 pre-war Martin D18 for a friend of mine several years back on ebay for $14,500! I had one guy drive up from Atlanta to look at it. It'd had a different bridge put on it and I was told that if it'd had the original bridge it would have went for closer to $20k. Mind you this guitar was beat to crap and I wouldn't have give you $5 for it if it hadn't had the Martin name on it where the guitar you have appears to be in fantastic shape for it's age. I know that this is a post-war (after factory fire) Martin guitar but, just keep in mind that ANYTHING you do to it will affect the value. It seems to be all original as is so I'd do as little as possible and make sure that whatever I did have done to it was by someone reputable and well researched like the above mentioned Dan E.

Comment

I'm thinking along the same lines in terms of not modifying it at all. it's all original and if the bridge holds up after an oiling (expands the dry wood, helps close the crack) and a restringing, and can play normally, then I'm not doing anything more to it. I'll just keep it tuned to Eb to keep the tension down. and it won't ever be sold, it's my wife's guitar really, I'm just taking care of it.

as to value, the early 50's D-18's are going btwn 5K - 6K right now. the 1930's ones (if they are in good to great shape) can pull upwards of 30K. depends on condition as always, but yeah even beat ones from those vintage years that are all original bring big bucks.

Comment

You guys better check into the latest pricing! Antiques Roadshow just
                        appraised a 1938 D-18 for .... $28K to $32,000.00 ! I thought my 1943
                        was worth about $12K...its not! Closer to $17K now.
                        Hang onto it...prices will only soar in the next 10 years. This was
                        my grandfathers..he played in a swing band with it mic'd! Must have
                        been hell on feedback? :-)) This one is in 85% conditon, with no
                        problems, and 100% original. I almost sold it once for $6K... my wife
                        stopped me. Glad she did!

Oh and tone? Its sings, and resonates like a Hammer of the Gods! Almost haunted
                        on how incredible that 80 year old Mahogany vibrates...(probably even older wood, as
                        Martin sometimes had stock that was still from the 1890's!
                        Piano is from London.. made in 1858..paid $100 for it an an auction weighs about 500 lbs!
                        It has enough 200 yr old mahogany to make 30 dreadnaughts..

**** Yeah dont touch it skorb... i once thought that i would have the martin factory completely referbish it, since im such a cosmetic whore..
                        but once again, another person saved me from being an idiot. If i would have had even the factory referbish it...value would have dropped in 1/2 !!
                        Last edited by Robert Burns; 02-28-2010, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Robert, I'm sorry but yours is not all original, the bridge pins were black. it's beautiful, almost 70 yrs old, wow. they sure made them right back then.

j/k, thanks for the good word on value, like I said above I saw the 1930's ones were going upwards of 30K, so I knew about the high value on the prewar manufactures. at first I read the serial # on the guitar wrong so when my wife looked it up we thought it was a 1938 model, worth 32K, LOL!! but I quickly realized my mistake and we were only off by 12 years.

Comment

Working...
                          X