Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ESP LTD George Lynch Serpent 600 (review)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESP LTD George Lynch Serpent 600 (review)

Picked this up a few days ago. This had been sitting at one of my local non box store music stores for about 7 months. I had eyeballed it quite a few times, stopping there every so often. One day I decided to try it out and I was shocked at how great it played and sounded. The store that had it is one of those places loaded with Gibson and Fender and I'm convinced they frown on any "shred-like" guitar. Needless to say, I got it for a very good price because they just wanted to move it from their inventory. It was labeled used but in brand new condition.
    I put new strings on it and set the bridge height to where I like it. I played it for 2 1/2 hours straight at rehearsal and my conclusion is that I really like this guitar a lot.
    I was very hesitant to buy an LTD (or any Korean guitar for that matter) but I have to say this thing rivals some real high end guitars. I hear a fair share of people refer to LTD's as (L.ick T.he D.umpster) guitars, which is really very funny, but this thing plays damn good and I'm accustomed to relatively high end Kramers', B.C. Rich's, and Jackson's.
    The build quality is top notch, acoustically, the guitar has a very loud sound and great resonance, the pickups sound great..I was concerned about the Screamin' Demon because I've never liked that pickup in anything I've tried it in but it sounds nice in this guitar. The single coil sounds great especially with clean tones. The fret ends are finished like what I see on custom shop guitars-that was a shocker, nice and rounded and you don't feel them running your hand on the edge of the neck. Another nice cosmetic touch is the abalone dot inlays on the neck. The neck is thicker than what I'm traditionally used to but comfortable. I think the factory listing of "thin u-neck contour" is slightly misleading. U shape, yes, but not exactly thin by any means. Now my only concern about the guitar, and surely something I can live with, is that there is no beveled edge where your picking arm rests on the guitar. It has a flat top. Something I'm not used too, so it felt a little weird. I only noticed this while playing in a standing position..sitting it's pretty much unnoticeable. Also, and utterly trivial, the ESP case is very flimsy but fits the guitar well. Otherwise, totally happy with this guitar and I'll be using it for part of the set list tonight at a gig.
    Specs on the guitar:
    • Swamp ash body
    • 25-1/2" scale
    • Bolt-on maple neck
    • Reverse headstock
    • Rosewood fretboard
    • Thin U neck contour
    • 22 extra-jumbo frets
    • 43mm neck width
    • Floyd Rose 1000 Series tremolo bridge
    • Locking nut
    • Seymour Duncan Screamin' Demon bridge humbucker
    • ESP LS-100 neck single-coil pickup
    • Volume control
    • ESP tuners
    • Black hardware
    • Black finish with serpent graphic

Here's one of my quality (crap) cell phone pics...and one factory pic to see the guitar more clearly:

2 BC Rich USA Gunslinger's-lightning bolt graphic
    BC Rich USA Mockingbird-candy apple red metallic
    BC Rich USA STIII-gray snakeskin
    Ibanez RG770DX-lazer blue
    Kramer Sustainer American-black

Great review! Thanks for sharing......................
    Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

I've had the same disdain for these LTDs.
      I've played a few over the last month and they played very well too my surprise.

One was the Chinese made Lynch Bengal and it played very nice.
      I was sure it'd be a POS.

The imports have come a long way all round from what I've seen and played, even a friends Schecters are better than I thought possible.
      Currently at 78 guitars - Paul Reed Smith, Jackson, Robin, Washburn, Carvin, Peavey, U.S. Masters, G&L, Hamer, Godin, BC Rich, Yamaha, Fender, ESP, Kramer, Cort, Ibanez, Aria Pro & Charvel
      Pics:http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/mr.rs/pictures/gear

Comment

All GL guitar have a chunky wide neck that's the way he likes em'.
        I've had both the Jap and Korean models and they are great guitars.
        The SD pickup works well in maple bodies IMO.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

How much did you get it for? And how much are these new?
          I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

Comment

As for pricing, I got this for $550 out the door including tax. I see them selling for $699 to $799 most places, highest price out there is $1049. It's discontinued now, so bargains are out there. When it first came out, if i recall correctly, $999 was the going rate.
            I played it for a few songs Friday night at a show and everything went well. Got a few positive comments from people in the audience on how much they liked the look of the guitar too.
            2 BC Rich USA Gunslinger's-lightning bolt graphic
            BC Rich USA Mockingbird-candy apple red metallic
            BC Rich USA STIII-gray snakeskin
            Ibanez RG770DX-lazer blue
            Kramer Sustainer American-black

Comment

Congrats. Great looking guitar. Several months ago, I played the LTD bengal. Just like you, I was surprised at how easy it was to play. The neck felt great. Now if I just had any reason at all to have that guitar, I'd buy it.
              Breaking Point, my all instrumental CD available here:
              www.cdbaby.com/cd/richardjamessounds

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Point...92366&sr=301-1

http://youtube.com/user/jsrmusic

Comment

Working...
              X