Gibson EBO bass project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson EBO bass project

I scored this bass with no hardware, cheap, got an allparts bridge on the bay for 60.00, I am going to put an EMG in it, and have budman make me a custom pickup ring, I have tuners and a brass nut for it, have a look.
    METAL, LIVE IT!

Nice. Are you going to make any mods to body/neck, or will you just put new parts on it and play the hell out of it?
    Gear currently owned:

Ibanez RG3120TW '02, Ibanez Roadstar 440P, Samick valley arts custom pro bass, Charvel model 5
    Line 6 Pod x3 live, diy Madamp M15mk1

Comment

The only mods will be an EMG-H bass pickup, a p-bass pickup in a standard humbucker housing, and a custom pickup ring.
      METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

$60?!?!? WOW! Nice score, been looking for one for a while...I would recommend trying to keep the mods reversible so if you wanted to make it OEM again you could and realize the full value if you decide to sell it...
        Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

Here she is with the tuners installed, and the EMG-H, I decided to make the PU ring myself, I'll post more pics when I get the electronics done ,and the nut installed.
          METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Here she is finished.
            METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

somethin' doesnt sit right with me about that PU in there.....
              "Yet, every little piss ant wanna' be death metal wiener will just carbon copy the next phase.." Kam Lee/Massacre

LEFTY METAL HEAD!

Comment

Originally posted by DeathThrashAttack View Post
                somethin' doesnt sit right with me about that PU in there.....
                Nothing about this bass seems right to me(though I could be wrong). Has the body been reshaped? The edge carve of the body is not as it should be as far as the ones I've seen. Should the edge near the controls be beveled? The headstock looks odd as well(too long).
                Last edited by spider murphy; 05-12-2010, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by spider murphy View Post
                  Nothing about this bass seems right to me(though I could be wrong). Has the body been reshaped? The edge carve of the body is not as it should be as far as the ones I've seen. Should the edge near the controls be beveled? The headstock looks odd as well(too long).
                  Nothing has been reshaped,this is a 1966 gibson EBO,even the plastic I mounted the pickup ring to has the screws in the original holes, so it can be restored to original if need be.
                  METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

I dig it. Bet it's a blast to play.
                    From here on the nightmare only gets worse...

Comment

Ok, I just thought it looked odd(the bevels look off to me). I also thought it was in the 73/74 range due to the pickup placement (66 pickup is usually close to the fretboard/neck). The lack of a MOP logo threw me off too. Are you sure it is a 66?
                      Here's an example of a 66 EBO... http://www.tradetang.com/for-sale/19...9-1601452.html
                      Last edited by spider murphy; 05-13-2010, 07:02 PM.

Comment

I'm not positive about the year, that's what I was told, I plays great, but upper fret access is almost impossible, what the hell were they thinking? And that EMG with 18 volts kills.
                        Last edited by jacksonaxes; 05-13-2010, 08:35 PM.
                        METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

I'm sure it's a killer player, Most are. I've had a few and loved them all. The only one I have left is an odd one(special or jr version?). It is the project I often think about but never get around to. The previous owner appears to have sanded it down and hit it with clear(runny as fuck but fixable).

Comment

Working...
                          X