Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips on selling a guitar...

Hey guys,

I am thinking about selling my only guitar and getting something not as valuable. Maybe a newer Melody Maker or something... The thing is my guitar is beat to shit and it's been around the blocks here from what I remember. I'm sure some of you remember it.

It's beat to shit and shows it. Used to have a Kahler, neck was snapped at one point. Neck paint was removed. Third pickup was installed. It looks like it's been spray painted. The number scheme makes it strange too, it's either a 70 or 71.

Any ideas what kind of dough I could get for it?

Wasn't that black before, and had a headstock repair? I would search Ebay for similar LPCs that have been rode hard and put up wet to get a comparison.

Headstock repair and so much butchery to it is gonna hit the resale hard enough that you might just be better off keeping it, since you aren't gonna get another for remotely what you have into this one. And you aren't gonna get out of it remotely what you probably want looking at LPCs that are whoe and original from the period.
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

It's always been white and yeah the headstock snapped but glued back on. It's pretty solid. I think I paid around 800 bucks for it at the time.

Comment

there is one for sale here in holland (a 74) which had had the fingerboard replaced after a neckbreak (it now has snowflake inlays) and they are asking about USD 2000 for it, which means it will not get sold for many may years I'm afraid
        for that one you should at least get back what you have put into it, what amount are you looking for ?

Comment

I'm sorry, but I don't even want to guess. With the amount of work that's been done, I think buyer's on ebay would be sketchy. You'd probably need to sell it in person via craigslist, and probable go through a lot of tire kickers.

You say you want to sell it and get something cheaper, but for the life of me I don't know why. This isn't a collector piece, and it might be a step down getting a melody maker, and you might just break even taking the step down.

I'd call this guitar a "keeper", but if you want to sell it, I think you better get started because it might take a while. And if you use ebay, be prepared to pay a lotof fees from multiple listings unless you start a .99 and let it ride. You might get a surprising bidding war that brings in much more than you thought, or you might end up disappointed.

Good luck.
          Last edited by DonP; 05-17-2010, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Hmm, not sure what I'm gonna do. I want to move to the city and I don't want something valuable. I'd even settle for a Mex Strat haha.

Comment

Only one way to be sure. Put it up on the bay w decent pics and a reserve you'd be happy with.
              "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Seems that if the headstock repair was done correctly and well, it still could be a good base for a project. Obviously the way you explain it, the modifications, and some things I see in the pics, it needs a full refinish, binding help around the headstock at least, new hardware, etc.. The value as far as selling in my opinion probably isn't much more than a Mex strat as it is. But for someone who has the skills and urge, maybe a bit more. Shit, I'd probably trade you my Mex strat for it just to refin and flip it..
                Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Are you afraid someone would steal it when you move to the city?

I'm sure many people would swap you a MIM strat for it. I have one that's brand new - sat in the closet for 12 years. But think of the loose in tone you will be going through.

Pete (lhrocker) would be another great candidate for this guitar. He's taken on many project guitars and brought them back to life.

Comment

@apedosmil: you have a PM

Comment

Working...
                    X