Custom Build: Rhoads V - Sandoval Style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Build: Rhoads V - Sandoval Style

This is a guitar build Mike just completed for a local musician. He wanted a custom classic built on the basic style of the Randy Rhoads Gibson V Sandoval.

Specs:
    Wood - Alder wings with 3 piece neck
    Pick Ups - 2 Humbucker
    Controls - Les Paul
    Bridge - Shaller

Scale Length - 25.5
    Frets - 24 Jumbo
    Neck Wood - 3 piece maple
    Neck Binding - Yes, ivorioid
    Inlays - 3 piece pearl bows

Pickups - EMG
    Attached Files
    Diana Learn
    http://www.LearnAirbrush.com
    http://www.LearnGuitars.com
    http://www.MikeLearn.com

Pretty cool!!

Mike you do excellent work.

I'd bet this guitar cost about HALF what a Sandoval would cost.

Am I close Diana?? :-)
    Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

Thanks Hellraiser. I do not know what Mr. Sandoval charges for his guitars. This one is really reworked from his original design. The body shape has a different taper to allow access to the 24 fts. The neck heel is very close to the Jackson RR. The harpoon is slightly different. This guitar is a wiring challenge with the toggle switch on the upper horn. But now I have the patterns done.
      Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
      http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Very cool. Love the white knobs.
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
          That's what he said

Comment

Comment

The binding really stand out, that is just beautiful on so many levels.
              "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

I'm diggin' it.I would have done some dots on the pick up covers.Very very nice guitar.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Learn Guitars View Post
                  Thanks Hellraiser. I do not know what Mr. Sandoval charges for his guitars. This one is really reworked from his original design. The body shape has a different taper to allow access to the 24 fts. The neck heel is very close to the Jackson RR. The harpoon is slightly different. This guitar is a wiring challenge with the toggle switch on the upper horn. But now I have the patterns done.
                  From what I recall, Sandoval starts at 5k and goes up from there. Don't get that at all, but whatever. I've often wondered how the wiring channel is done on those; Mike, did you do an LP style construction with a top covering the wiring channel? I remember chatting about this guitar, looks like it came out wonderfully!

Sully
                  Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                  Sully Guitars on Facebook
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

My Holy Grail Guitar
                    According To The Prophecy

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
                      Mike, did you do an LP style construction with a top covering the wiring channel? I remember chatting about this guitar, looks like it came out wonderfully!

Sully
                      Sully,
                      I don't know how Mike does it, but I will usually use dowels to align the "wings". Before glueing on the wings, I use 18" aircraft drills through the lower wing, neck thru, and upper wing. I just lay my body template on top and mark where the holes need to go. It saves you from having to use a veneer to cover any routed channels. The trick is to use large diameter drills to allow for any misalignment and also excess glue that may ooze into the holes.

Guitar looks awesome Mike!!! And the binding just adds so much to the fretboard.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words guys!

As Uli mentioned, you can predrill and then glue up the wings. I used an 18 in bit and connected the channels right behind the trem. If I was doing a drop top, i would cut the channel before the laminate top. <My pricing is way too cheap according to Mr. Sandoval's price guide. A good portion of the cost on this one was the fingerboard in 3 piece shell inlay bows.
                        Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
                        http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

nice work Mike..I like the look of your "Learn" logo on the back of the head. Also the neck binding gives a nice vibe!
                          www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
                          My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

Hey Mike,
                            Yeah, I am sure your pricing is much better. I also believe Sandoval's $5000-$6000 price tag includes a 1 year minimum wait time.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                              Would have looked cooler if they had been aligned with the dot pattern
                              "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Working...
                              X