Any info on these new Gibson Studios?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any info on these new Gibson Studios?

Interesting, but looking at the pics, they appear to have those scrawny fretless wonder frets. Anyone know for sure?
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

No, but it looks confused. P90 Pickups are correct for a 1956, but the control knobs are for a 1960 Les Paul. Neck is missing binding (I know, it's a Studio), but the price doesn't seem bad. Have you looked at TGP, LPF or MLP for anyone who might have gotten one?

Comment

Probably a lot like the Gibson LP Studio Gem.

Comment

it looks better than a studio. could you fit mini buckers in the p90 holes?
        no sig.....

Comment

Pretty tasty for $850, even without the binding.
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by asix View Post
            it looks better than a studio. could you fit mini buckers in the p90 holes?
            yes, you can put mini's in a P90 slot. the pick-up rings for a mini fit the P90 hole.

that guitar DOES look sweet. i hate gibson guitars, but i may have to check one of those out.
            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

DiMarzio and EMG (probably others) make humbuckers in P-90 housing. That guitar does indeed look sweet! They're probably medium jumbo frets like Gibson uses on most guitars nowadays. The "fretless wonders" were a lot wider.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Looks pretty good, but its the "worn" finish, aka no filler or clearcoat. If only theyd make a studio with a 60's profile instead of the 50's baseball bat Id pick one up.
                Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

It's a matte satin finish. You can always buff it out to a high gloss.

Comment

They do make a Studio with the 60's neck and a non weight relieved body. It is called the Studio 60 and it is a GC exclusive. It comes in Vintage burst, Cherry burst and Ebony. $1300 MAP

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                      It's a matte satin finish. You can always buff it out to a high gloss.
                      You sure its a matte finish, not like the lame "faded" series or what ever they were called?
                      Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

The faded/worn series are also a matte satin nitro lacquer finish. I own one of the red ones put out by MF several years back.

Comment

Oh really? I remember check them out a few times and noticed that it seemed like more of a stain, and I could feel the mahogany grain especially on the neck, which was a big turnoff.

Anyways, I dunno whats up now a days with satin being all the rage. I personally cant stand it, I like shiny! Im not buying into the "worn" feel, even some hard ridden beat to hell guitars have atleast a few shiny spots left.

Comment

From what I had read these won't be shipping till september thanks to the flooding.
                            Regular production fret sizes according to the LPF.
                            Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
                              Oh really? I remember check them out a few times and noticed that it seemed like more of a stain, and I could feel the mahogany grain especially on the neck, which was a big turnoff.

Anyways, I dunno whats up now a days with satin being all the rage. I personally cant stand it, I like shiny! Im not buying into the "worn" feel, even some hard ridden beat to hell guitars have atleast a few shiny spots left.
                              Sometimes I like the satin, other times I don't. You can feel a little of the grain on the neck, but I think that's just because the nitro is so thin, plus the nitro feels a little weird and can be sticky at times. It also does get a little shiny over time from your hand running up and down the back of the neck, and some spots on the body from where your arm rests. I know someone had buffed one out (I think on the LP forum) and made the whole guitar nice and shiny.

Comment

Working...
                              X