Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD - Steinberger GL2-S

NGD!!!

Check it out, an original Newburgh-era Steinberger GL2-S in very near mint condition! Sorry for the crappy pic, will take some better ones soon.

I've been looking for this guitars for years now, and when the opportunity to buy it came along I was over the moon!

This particular Steinie is a one-owner guitar that comes straight from the 1987 MusikMesse fair in in Frankfurt.
    The Steinberger rep for Europe at the time sold it directly to a well known Italian guitarist/session player, who kept it in pristine condition until now and finally agreed to sell it to me.

The guitar is really super clean and it has all the original parts, worst flaws are the resting hand edge of the S-trem has faded a bit of its black color, and the gold EMG logo on the neck pickup is a bit faded, other than that it is basically NOS.

It really plays great, after 23 years the neck is (obviously) straight as an arrow, with super low action and no buzz, and the S-Trem is as smooth as new.

Tone-wise I've never liked EMG's, and many people described these graphite GL's as cold and sterile, so as much as I've always wanted one, I sort of expected I could only find some use for it when I needed heavily processed, compressed hi gain tones.

Well, from the first unplugged strum, I was definitely in for a surprise: this GL is very resonant, basically like a wooden hollow body guitar, and the amplified tone is warm, smooth and rich, much more so than many "real" wood guitars I've played.
    The sustain is really endless, the best of any guitar I own including my LP R9, and there are no dead spots anywhere on the neck, which is vital for the music I play.

I don't know if these old EMG's are supposed to sound smoother and, well, better than new ones, but mine certainly sound great and I'd be curious to try it with some new ones (i haven't opened it yet, but in the original manual it states that the EMG's have a snap-on connector so I may try and swap them one day).

All in all, I did pay quite a bit for this GL2, but it's been my holy grail guitar for years and I was lucky to find one in the exact configuration I wanted (I'm not a fan of the Trans-Trem nor single coils on the GL), and on top of it a true one-owner in almost mint condition.

Any other GL owners out there?

Last edited by surfreak; 07-22-2010, 06:23 AM.

thas kool nice guitar enjoy

Comment

Looks to be in fantastic shape, congrats!
      Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

Very nice! I had a GL4T years ago, and I wish I still had it.

Comment

Very cool, congratulations. Did Steinberger ever make a passive-pickup model?

Comment

I've had a few GL2's over the years and I loved them the necks are awesome.
            I had one just like that one and one with Duncans I sold the EMG one first because I was offered silly money for it.
            The one with the Duncans sounded great too.It was pearl white.Same guy bought it a few years later.
            That's really a nice one and in very good condition.
            I always liked the trem on those.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Really cool! One of my jamming buds has a Steinie bass - he let me play it for a couple tunes at a gig we did last year in Long Beach, CA.
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
              X