Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OLD Charvel neck on new KnE body = RULIN".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OLD Charvel neck on new KnE body = RULIN".

Didn't know whether to put this in the Charvel USA section or not so started it here: WAY back in the 80s, as a kid firs starting to build guitars, I managed to snag two Charvel Strat 1 3/4" nut width replacement necks - from Veneman before they were Music Emporium IIRC...years and years ago. One ended up on a Dimarzio (I think, who was also making bodies for Charvel at the time)single-hum Strat body that I still use today. The other went on a no-name S/H body I didn't really like, was used on and off for about 5 years and then languished in a corner for YEARS - we're talking the 90s once I'd build other similar Warmoth parts mutts I liked better, since by this time you could no longer get Charvel replacement parts. Recently I decided to give the old neck (which I love, I mean, it's exactly like the other one that is still a fave) another chance on a KnE body...WOW.

Mitch does great work, seems near dead-on accuracy wise, routing tolerances are great, neck pocket was snug, nice stuff. Also decided to ditch the original chrome OFR in favor of a black one I've completely tricked out with Floyd Upgrades stainless steel hardware and a 37mm Titanium Big-Block. I also am direct-mounting the Seymour Duncan Trembucker Custom (which may morph into a Custom 8 soon) and Classic Stack. But even acoustically it already sounds great...LOUD, punchy, I dig it.

I'm sending it off to be painted soon, but dunno WHY I didn't do this sooner...holy crap this thing is (finally) going to kick ass...

That's killer bro! I have a KnE Warren body that's waiting for a custom neck...can't wait til it's ready to go.

Comment

Originally posted by 6string40 View Post
      That's killer bro! I have a KnE Warren body that's waiting for a custom neck...can't wait til it's ready to go.
      Thanks! I have another Ash Musikraft S/H body that's getting a "natural" finish awaiting a neck as well, then I think I want a customized (non-maple bodied) Kamikaze...

Comment

I have a KnE Star body drying as we speak and its getting a USACG strat head neck.And DiMarzio EVH pick up.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

hell yeah that looks sweet....enjoy
          www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
          My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

Thanks!

She's getting along really well with her Warmoth sister this time also...

I have a couple of traditional Strat builds, but I LOVE the S/H w/ a Floyd setup... will always need more of these
            Last edited by jhale667; 08-04-2010, 12:53 AM.

Comment

S/H is my fav as well, very nice
              Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Charvel necks - one of the all time best necks ever made.
                PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Check it!

Totally agree, they're two of my favorite necks in my collection. Wish I could find more.

Just realized I never posted pics of the completed project, which turned out pretty bad ass if I do say so myself...LOL... decided once I'd gotten the finished body back from Jeff @ RCA guitars (who did an amazing job) to go with a black bridge pickup instead. Started off with the Custom 8, which absolutely ruled. Then I got asked to do a series of reviews and articles for Seymour Duncan, so it's being used as a test bed or sorts.

It's currently sporting a Seymour Duncan 59/Custom Hybrid in the bridge slot and an STK-S7 in the neck.

This guitar was my first experiment with direct-mounting a bridge-pickup, and I have to say I think I prefer it overall...

Comment

And here it is alongside the Warmoth that originally "replaced" it (currently testing a JB/STK-6 set in it). Not so anymore...now they're near equals.

And Oh, should probably mention, had a binding issue with the FU Big-Block in the KnE body at first as far as it having full-travel. I worked with Mitch at KnE to modify the rout so that doesn't, and won't happen to anybody that uses a Big-Block that orders a KnE in the future. Also fixed the face-gap on his all-purpose Floyd rout; just specify you want the OFR/Big-Block rout and you're good.

Totally stoked about the Charvel/KnE project (now known as "the Bomber", lol) being completed, though - because up until I started this overhaul it was pretty much a waste/museum piece of a perfectly good vintage Charvel Strat replacement neck...
                    Last edited by jhale667; 09-09-2012, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Wow, sweet! I think both of those guitars are great! Thanks for sharing!
                      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                        Wow, sweet! I think both of those guitars are great! Thanks for sharing!
                        Glad you like! Here's the other Charvel parts monster that's still in faithful service - currently sportin' a Custom 8, a 42mm FU Brass Big-Block and an EVH D-Tuna.

Comment

Working...
                        X