Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why I Hate the Ibanez Edge III (Read: Help).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I Hate the Ibanez Edge III (Read: Help).

So, a friend of mine just got his first guitar: a cheap Ibanez RG 24 fret with the Edge III bridge. He's got a band and was all excited, so I offered to take a look at said guitar and do a setup/overall inspection since it had been...neglected by his brother that gave it to him.

Long story short, after cleaning the bridge and reassembling/retuning/reintonating the guitar, I noticed that using the bar threw it out of tune by a few cents. Checked the locking nut, no problems there. Strings were fully stretched, so no problems there either. I dismissed it as possibly being the knife edges/trem posts (though I didn't see any obvious wear when I had the guitar apart).

Gave it back to the kid and today he texted saying it goes out of tune over time without the bar being used. Now, I know it's not the locking nut and there's a chance it's the knife edges or the trem posts (especially since they're made of cheap metal), but what else could it be? Ideas are welcome, I've never had this much trouble with a floating bridge setup (though admittedly I've only dealt with the OFR and the JT-6 personally).

ive got an edge in mr rg470 its poor full stop. I would stick as many springs in it as you can and lock it down. Or maybe a block of wood in the spring cavity
    no sig.....

Comment

Springs may be weak try a new set.Add a spring if it just has 3 that works sometime.
      Check the trem claw screws to see if they have been removed a few times and not getting a good grip in the body I have seen them pull out some under tension.
      If its not returning to pitch I woud say knife edges are worn or locking pads on the nut are worn.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
        If its not returning to pitch I woud say knife edges are worn or locking pads on the nut are worn.
        Or the locking blocks at the bridge.

Find this out for us: does it keep going lower in tune or does it go low, go high, go low, etc.?

Comment

It's definitely not anything to do with the locking nut itself, since that's all brand new (when he got the guitar, it was missing the bar and the nut's string clamps/string clamp screws). I also did the "slightly turn the tuning machines and see if the pitch varies" test to make sure it was keeping the strings from slipping.

I also put new springs on it before, so those should be good to go.

The locking blocks at the bridge *might* have something to do with the problems, but I didn't see any obvious flaws.

I'll find out how it's going out of tune (flat, sharp) and let you know. He had sent me an email saying he "played with the strings" and it got a little more stable, but I really don't think he understands the mechanics behind tuning a floating bridge. He keeps talking about unlocking the nut and using both the tuning machines and the fine tuners at the bridge.

If anything, this whole thing has made me appreciate my OFR (and even the JT-6 somewhat) that much more.

Comment

Are the studs locked?
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

Make sure the string saddles are locked on the bridge.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Make sure the posts aren't loose in the holes. If they are, Teflon tape em' in there. It might not be the problem but it will still help tuning stability.
                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working...
                X