Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What model by what brand has these or very close to these specs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What model by what brand has these or very close to these specs?

Based on a couple threads I've had about some guitars I thought I would gather from the collective knowledge of the board to compile a list of models of guitars that are close to the specs that I like. The type of guitar I find myself most often playing and most comfortable with are:

24.75" scale
    neck through or set neck with a shaped heel
    roughly a strat or super strat shape, basically not the tele or les paul shapes
    2 humbuckers, don't really care what since I'll probably replace them
    locking tuners but this is easily changed as well so either way is fine
    mahogany body
    prefer it to have a maple top
    prefer mahogany neck but maple is okay
    prefer 3 piece neck but 1 is okay
    prefer 3+3 angled headstock with straight strings but 6 inline is okay, straight w/retainers is a distant 3rd
    prefer some kind of reinforcement behind the nut for the headstock
    archtop is preferred but as long as the body is comfy I'm okay with it
    prefer belly and forearm contours but as long as the body is comfy I'm okay with it
    prefer strat style hard tail, then TOM, then floyd with hard tail strings through body
    prefer US made buy I'm getting over it

This is what I have found so far
    Jackson SLS - the only thing I would change on this is a slight forearm contour and add p-rail pickups. Other then that it's pretty much as good as it gets for me but now they are custom shop only

Jackson Mark Morton - sounded great but I didn't like the neck, it was a lot different then the sls

Schecter C-1 custom - looks good on paper and a standard I tried out played fairly well but I haven't owned one

Ibanez szr720 - looks good on paper and gets mixed reviews, never had a chance to try one out

Various carvin models - due to their options you can get a few different models close to these preferences except for the scale which would be 25" but that's pretty close

PRS - this gets close but I hate their fixed bridge and they don't offer the tom anymore plus I'm not a fan of the heel

Les Paul, lets just clump all les paul style guitars right here since there are so many of them and it's not really what I'm going after unless there is something that really breaks the mold

Tele, lets just clump all tele style guitars right here since there are so many of them and it's not really what I'm going after unless there is something that really breaks the mold

Like this:
    Fender Special Edition Custom Spalted Maple Tele - if this thing was short scale I would be all over it

Hamer studio - these are nice guitars and close enough to the specs, the heel isn't shaped but it is so far inset it isn't that big of a deal. This one is on my list and if I find a good player I'm going to jump on it. I've played a bunch but none that were for sale. The neck is a little thicker then I prefer though.

So, I'm sure I have missed some and probably a lot which is why I'm asking for anybody that knows of a model that might be worth checking out close to those specs to please add it to the list

Thanks!!

How about a '61 reissue SG?

24.75 scale, 2 humbuckers, angled headstock, great upper fret access, TOM...
    Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

how about a custom builder?
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
        how about a custom builder?

Also, there were those Gibson super strats. Strat body, set neck, mahog neck on mahog body, 24.75" scale, basically a Gibson with a Fender body. Now the things you wont like, has a Floyd, (I think it might've been recessed), HSS pickups, and the Explorer style headstock.

If you can find one of these, definitely check it out. I loved the one I played, and kind of regret not picking it up.

Comment

Contact metalhead28 he makes very nice guitars in several body shapes check out his site.stinnettguitars.com
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Wow, I can't believe I overlooked the SG all these years. I'll have to try one of those out. I've played the Les Paul DC which is a pretty nice guitar. I remember seeing those Gibson super strat styles but I've never had a chance to play one, the floyd was a pretty big turn off for me. Going the custom route is always an option as is just ordering another sls from jackson. I've talked to a couple area builders and they all wanted to put their own flare into it, which is fine with some things but when it dramatically alters how I want it I start getting a little nervous. I even take in my two favorites so I can go over what I like and don't like about each one.

Comment

Maverick had a model that fitted this spec, they aren't around anymore but there might be some on ebay.

Comment

How about post # 3 again?

and then look to the left side of the screen and see who wrote it.

And then how about pming him with your needs and budget, and seeing if its doable?
                Out Of Ideas

Comment

I appreciate all the suggestions on the custom made units but I really want a cheaper piece that I can take around with me and if something happens to it I'm not out something I'm super attached to and that could be easily replaced.

Comment

Working...
                  X