yeah so the carvin got here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yeah so the carvin got here

When I first opened it, it looked pretty damn sweet, but then my attention got quickly pulled to...

down by the lower wing there's a flaw in the wood. Not thrilled at this point but still happy, then...

behind the floyd where the two pieces of maple meet there's what kind of looks like a knot in the wood.

if i were in a guitar shop i would pass by this one. the rest of the quilt is beautiful, so i'll get over the two flaws, just they stand out and make me wonder about future purchases.

I played it for a couple minutes, as UPS didn't even get here til 5:30... so.. I'll get a strap on it and play with it through the line 6, i couldn't really dial it in well on the Roland. I don't think I'm at all in love with the pickup in it. Will see how things are once i can add some volume to it though.

over all it's a 9, those finish flaws though really make me uncomfortable ordering from them again. but then again the rest of the quilt is sweet so, maybe that's just the trade off. plus i got two hours sleep last night, i'll wait until i'm awake to judge.

oh yeah and i was going to take a bunch of dark photos with just like corners of the guitar for Ron as a joke, but I'm just too damn tired and it's really just too pretty to do that too.
    In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

What was the pickup they put in the Concorde? I know it wasn't a JB, wasn't it a super distortion or something? Ugh. can't remember. I need to find out, since it was maple i think I'd like to try that pickup in this. or at least have it on the back burner to try if i do end up hating the m22.

Comment

Ouch.

Comment

Eh, it doesn't look that bad... that's the nature of wood, sometimes. I think the two little knots behind the Floyd look cool. The one by the horn might bug me a little. You've got 10 days to try it out and return it for a refund or rebuild if you're not happy with it.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I say if it bothers you, send it back.
          They will know what you expect if you decide to do a rebuild.
          Models
          The prudes may snub them, but I don't care.
          I dont need furniture.
          If its tough, shreds, and screams, Its all good.
          If it gets jacked, I'll get another one.
          And rock that sucker.

Comment

*after a few hour nap*

Looking at it, you know what, the thing is meant to be played not cuddled up and f*cked . I'm not going to worry about it, I think I'll pretty much get over it. It'll just be a matter of bonding with that pickup right now, as far as the physical feel of the guitar I'm digging it. Just need to put a strap on it and dial in the amp for it and play. But that M22 is just not very meaty, but like I said I haven't had a chance to really crank the amp up and see what it can do yet.

Comment

Nice. Would love to see more pics and hear your review of it. Sign up for the Carvin Forum and post some pics there, too.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/bbs/
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

That sure is a nice top, it looks like it just has a couple of little knots in it that really stick out on such a light color.

This is the issue I have with buying a guitar you've never seen before... And then there is the choice of sending it back or not. It's really hard when you might wait a year or more, at least with Carvin you can get a refund if you don't want to deal with it.

IMHO, just make damned sure you're not talking yourself into accepting something you'll wish you hadn't later. And I've never heard great things about Carvin pickups, though I'm sure they have some I'd like.

Comment

Kudos to you and the honest review. Having a guitar built is scary just like having a house built. You never know how it'll turn out, if they poured the concrete correctly, etc.

I agree with MAJNH that I don't think I could deal with taking a chance with a custom shop. I'd rather play it / hear it before deciding if I want it or not.

Comment

NICE, those little knots arent too bad, the 2 by the floyd are normal, the one on the horn may have not been visible until they started rounding out the edge.

as for maple, ive got an X2N, a few super distortions (dual sounds), and a tone zone. for me the X2N is great in maple, the SDs are nice but sometimes doent have the lowend of the X2N. the TZ is nice too, but its seems more mid rangey than the other 2, very good 80's high gain stuff.

ive found in maple you can get away with a high out put pickup with alot of lows end and low mids and the brightness of the maple keeps it from getting muddy.
                    Last edited by j2379; 08-02-2011, 02:02 PM.

Comment

I like the ones behind the floyd, they add character.

VEEEEEEERY nice guitar day, congrats!!!

Comment

Ill be honest, I understand its meant to be played but if it were ME....I would be pissed. That to me is a QC deal, why they would use a top with what many would consider sub-par issues is beyond me. This is a custom build not some off the shelf player that wasnt meant to be perfect. Id ask for a rebuild. Hell I dont see that kind of stuff on a mighty mite body why the hell would it be on a high end custom deal.

Just m 2C but it would bug the shit outta me.
                        Haters gonna hate
                        Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

Comment

For some reason I cant see the pictures.

Comment

Yeah who wants wood that looks like wood! Adds character. Is wood. No big deal to me

Comment

Originally posted by Econ View Post
                              For some reason I cant see the pictures.
                              I can't see a single pic either, and I've looked at this thread on 2 different computers.

Bummer, sounds like a cool guitar.

Comment

Working...
                              X