NGD + a bonus!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD + a bonus!!

Just an update from this thread: http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/121...a-Cool-meeting.

My new axe arrived! I couldn't have been happier with it. Quality for days, and just flat-out fun. The neck is just AMAZING! I liked the neck on the RGD 7-string...I LOVEE the neck on this K7! Thin, flat, and FAST.

Another thing I figured out -- those guys on KoRn can PLAY. I got a few tab books, and I've been sitting around trying to "get around" on these guitars...IT'S HARD!! Their music is very dissonant, and there is SO MUCH going on with the guitar parts. It's hard to separate them, and then once you do, it's really weird to figure out the chord shapes, and all the string skipping. I have a new challenge!

Anyway, the Silver one showed up, and after repairing the ding on the lower rear edge, and giving it a quick setup, I was having a ball. I was surfing the net later that night, and decided to see what else was out there on the used market. Not much on eBay that was priced DUMB, but GC had a few used ones listed. Then I ran across the Blue/Purple looking one in Phoenix...called them...beat up on them a little bit, and it showed up on my doorstep today! BONUS!! Gave this one a setup tonight, and it's EVEN BETTER!

I'm waiting on some strings from my local GC - you can't get the custom set that they come with, and Dean Markely doesn't make the KoRn signature set any more, but you can order custom sets from DR for the same price as a normal set. Can't wait for those to come in...the fret boards will get a good cleaning and conditioning then too.

Anyway...pics!! I'm think Head & Munky would dig it...

Last edited by chrisolson; 08-01-2011, 10:43 PM.

You got both?!? Sweet! How do you like the PAF-7 pickups?
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Looking good! Congrats!
      I'd be curious about a seven string as well one day...

what happened to the whammy bar on the left one?
      do they make'em that way?
      tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
        You got both?!? Sweet! How do you like the PAF-7 pickups?
        Yeah...lucky set of circumstances, and things lined up. Maybe I'll go after the Munky Apex models down the road - we'll see how I bond with these.

I've always liked this pickup in a 6-string setup, and it's pretty good! Better than any stock 7-string I've heard so far. It's not a really hot pickup, nor does it need to be. They allow individual strings to come through, which is good/bad - you can hear every clam!

Originally posted by micha View Post
        Looking good! Congrats!
        I'd be curious about a seven string as well one day...

what happened to the whammy bar on the left one?
        do they make'em that way?
        That's the "U-Bar". They make them that way. Head & Munky came up with the design. There are two trem holes in the bridge, so it connects top & bottom, and also protect the fine tuners from getting bumped. I kinda like the design - I'm not much of a trem user, and it keeps everything out of the way, but gives me something to grab if I want to do something. It's pretty cool.

Comment

Another thing I should mention - the folks that overdo binding should look at what they did here. The fret board binding is cool & understated. Looks AWESOME. It beats the snot out of how companies like Schecter due theirs with the overdone abalone and so on. This is way cooler. You don't really notice it unless you look for it. I think the edge dots glow too, but not positive about that - haven't tried to play them in the dark yet.

Comment

Cool pair! Congrats.

Comment

Nice geets, congratulations!

Comment

Thanks, guys.

The more time I get on these, the more I'm surprised about how playable they are. I don't struggle with the neck at all the way I had when I had an RG7420 about a decade ago. These are far better, and the neck finish is pretty cool too. No gripes at all beyond the typical "sharp edginess" of RG's which make them so susceptible to chips.

Comment

Working...
                X