Any Ibanez Know-it-alls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Ibanez Know-it-alls?

I have 3 guitars on Craigs list right now. A 98 Jackson PS-2, a 2003 Jackson KVX10 and a 1991 Charvel 375 Deluxe on Craigslist. Someone offered to trade me his 2000 Ibanez JEM 7V for all three. This sounds like a killer deal to me... but... how do I know that this Ibanez isn't some sort of a fake? If it was a Jackson, I would probably be able to tell, but I really don't know Ibanez guitars.
    "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

First I'd check the last few frets. Most fakes aren't scalloped. Then I'd go by the serial, assuming there is one. A visit over to jemsite will be the best advice.

PS, All Ibanez JEMs are fake. Vai doesn't play an Ibanez....
    "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Originally posted by Axegrinder87 View Post
      First I'd check the last few frets. Most fakes aren't scalloped. Then I'd go by the serial, assuming there is one. A visit over to jemsite will be the best advice.
      +1 on that! Next to Les Pauls, the Ibanez Jem VWH is probably the most copied guitar out there.

Also, make sure it has an ebony board(`93-`03).

Last edited by SixstringKing; 08-11-2011, 09:16 PM. Reason: forgot to add additional info
      You paid for Platinum..But you're gonna get Gold! - horns666

Comment

Indeed, forgot to mention rosewood started in 2004.
        "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

If the serial number is ink stamped with no clear coat over it stay away.The serial number should be black and under the clear.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I just had my hands on a seriously fake JEM with the monkey grip and all. The only give away was it didn't say Ibanez.

Comment

Use your own ears with respect to the rosewood vs ebony fretboard models. I have a sparkle blue jem which sounds to me better than the white jem. The only difference besides color is the 7VSBL is rosewood.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

PS, All Ibanez JEMs are fake. Vai doesn't play an Ibanez....
                OK...do tell. What does he play then?

Comment

It must be something to do with the serial number, the fakes are really good, don't even feel fake.

Make sure it has all the markings it should have, the 20-24 scalloped frets, (or 21, I forget ), and make sure the inlay doesn't look like shit.

Comment

Merely trying to antagonize the ancient ghost built arguments that fill the net.

Though despite any theory or fact, Steves guitars truly are not off the shelf models.

Comment

To the OP, what's up? Seen/played/acquired the JEM yet?

Comment

Merely trying to antagonize the ancient ghost built arguments that fill the net.
                        Well hello Mr. Ed Roman!!

Comment

You've found me out

Comment

Originally posted by bsteff666 View Post
                            OK...do tell. What does he play then?
                            Steve Vai's guitars are built by Carruthers Guitars, which are branded Ibanez so as to maintain appearances with respect to his endorsement deal.
                            Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumRider View Post
                              Steve Vai's guitars are built by Carruthers Guitars, which are branded Ibanez so as to maintain appearances with respect to his endorsement deal.
                              is this for real?

I had heard of some artists doing this, but didnt know this one. or are you just pulling our leg?
                              "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Working...
                              X