Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star project...Good god how to small custom builders manage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star project...Good god how to small custom builders manage?

I will post a pic when it gets light, I need some input on necks, one feels better and one looks better so I am torn lol.

Anyway I decided to build this up for me in the way I would have wanted and leaning towards the vintage stars. I can see why custom builders charge 3k. For fucks sake I paid retail for a bunch of this stuff and I could have just BOUGHT A VINTAGE ONE almost at this point if I was patient.

Anyway heres the specs:

KnE Custom Painted Flame body off Ebay (small blems I am fixing but other than that very nice vintage creme color with a vintage looking flame job.

Gold OFR

Gold D-Tuna

Gold Tuners (havent decided gotoh or Schaller)

Neck (either maple pointy chandler, or Reverse Striped Zolla neck) I like the zolla better but maple is so fitting. Why cant I have a reverse maple pointy neck that feels like this one lol.

Creme vintage Duncan 59
    Creme Ring

Gold "jackson" logo though its not the actual logo its an artistic take on it. I needed something on a headstock but im not faking this thing with a real logo.

All Gold hardware down to even the nut on the input jack and tool holder

Brushed covers though I am tempted to search out and or make some brushed brass covers (VERY TEMPTED DOES ANYONE DO THIS?)

I think thats about it...some mock up pics in the am after minor assembly and the sun comes out.
    Haters gonna hate
    Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

I think feel over looks of the guitar will end up overcoming the situation. If it feels and plays great, regardless if its not the prettiest, will win.
    "Yet, every little piss ant wanna' be death metal wiener will just carbon copy the next phase.." Kam Lee/Massacre

LEFTY METAL HEAD!

Comment

Originally posted by coloradoman25 View Post
      I can see why custom builders charge 3k.
      Sweet! I can charge more now?
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

You can charge whatever you want Sully, I just have gotten a real good look at what it costs to go with all high end components. And honestly I have a cheap body and neck
        Haters gonna hate

Comment

Yeah, it can get costly, for sure! Getting set up as a dealer with the parts houses can help with that, though.
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Then add all the time involved to hand make a body and neck that fit and also fit to aftermarket components. Once you do that you then really can appreciate someone who is really good at it.

Comment

Oh yeah, there is no winning on cost when all the hardware is gold and doing single unit purchased quanities. Basically get ready to be boned.

Comment

Pm sent
                Haters gonna hate

Comment

You pm'd yourself? LOL!

Comment

lol it was on the tuning keys wise azz
                    Haters gonna hate

Comment

I love custom builders and quite honestly they (most of the smaller ones) don't charge as much as they should.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Heres a few shots of the now drilled and assembled body. IF all goes well the neck will be done in the next 2 days.

Haters gonna hate

Comment

Working...
                        X