NGD myrtle capped star

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD myrtle capped star

Body build done. My first beyond just assembling salvaged components. Started out as a roughly cut, 2 piece center seamed alder explorer body blank and an unglued bookmatched but very warped cap pair I found on Craigslist. Yeah, it's a Mighty Mite neck for now (I know, not the slim profile of a real Charvel style neck) but that that lead me to discover the nut, which is kinda cool. It's called an Ebanol conversion nut or something like that from Allparts. It is a standard (non locking) nut which bolts on into an Floyd type nut route. -Pretty handy. The rest of it: Gotoh trem, DiMarzio Super Distortion, 500k vol pot, Schaller thumbwheel tuners, Dunlop straplocks, homemade cavity covers. Plays ok (need to do a little fret filing this weekend perhaps) and sounds great (love the Super D). Also, my carpentry is ok but I have messed up everything I've ever tried to paint. So the blacked back and sides and the clear overall were shot (flawlessly) by my buddy down the street, Paull Wulffson of Wulffson Customs (now HE builds some really stunning pro grade axes). Anyway, I think the myrtle looks great and wonder why it doesn't seem to be more popular on guitars. Since I just bought the wood from a dude on cl, I don't really know if I lucked out and happened upon a really nice piece, or if it's usually expensive, hard to get, regional, often knotty, or whatever.

that's one nice peice of timber.
    yeah it was me, you got a problem with that?

Comment

Congrats. That's looks pretty cool.

Comment

That worked out well.

Comment

Thank you sirs.

Comment

Very VERY nice!

Comment

Looks great!
              How about a close up of the nut thingie.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Thanks Straycat. This is what you get. Actually, I don't remember if it includes the screws, but if it does they are probably two different lengths like these : )

They come in 1 5/8" or 1 11/16". Of course one's too small and the other is too wide. This is the wide one and I'll be removing it and filing it to fit flush with the neck this weekend. Jeez... I didn't realize how really too wide it is until I took these pics.

And yes, I cut a trussrod cover, just forgot to drill holes for it before stringing her up. I'll take care of that over the weekend too.

Comment

Nice call on the myrtle wood. Often overlooked. It looks beautiful. The black sides and back make it pop. Highly figured wood typically is really stressed out, its an abnormality thus the twisting. Looks like you got it all nice ,flat and matched. Traditional trem, minimal hardware. Hard to beat a star with nice,natural flamed wood in my opinion.

Comment

Thats amazing man! Wulffson has helped me with a couple guitars of my own and is a very friendly dude that knows his shit!
                    "Yet, every little piss ant wanna' be death metal wiener will just carbon copy the next phase.." Kam Lee/Massacre

LEFTY METAL HEAD!

Comment

I like that you went with black hardware.
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

+1 on the black back and sides. Looks great, man.

sully
                        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                        Sully Guitars on Facebook
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Looks great.

Paull is supposed to be building a neckthru explorer for me. Can't get him to update me on it. Can you ask him thrashattack

Comment

Thanks guys. Kind words, all the better cause I know you guys know your stuff.

Comment

Very well done sir!
                              The myrtle looks great.

J
                              >^v^<

Comment

Working...
                              X