NGD 02 Gibson LPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD 02 Gibson LPS

I talked to the guy I always talk to that runs the store. I told him that the money is for sure coming in Feb now and Id pay the full $1800 then instead of the $1500 if hed let me take it home now. I do this from time to time there so he knows Ill pay. Anyhow, hes a cool dude for sure.

Ill get pics later, my cams battery is dead. I do have a couple of questions though for the LP people here.

1. I took the pickups out when I changed the strings to see what type they were. All they are marked with is "#2 AL V" in the bridge and "#1 AL V" in the neck, who wound them and "patent applied for" sticker. I assume that means theyre Alnico V based but how do I know what models they are?

2. I assume if I cant see the neck tenon in the pickup cavity that it must be the short tenon then?
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

1. Those are Burstbucker Pros 1 and 2 (for the bridge) AL V indicates and Alnico 5 magnet instead of Alnico 2 in regular Burstbuckers. For the most part someone with the initials PS winds them. Should be on the pickups, possibly hand written in pen.

2. Only Historics get the long tenon, so yes, you have a short tenon.

When it comes to playing cruncy, I do hear a difference in all my LPs but I think it's more the pickups that construction.

I bought my 2002 Standard in Feb 2003 when I hit a BIN on it for $1750 free shipping, in the original box straight from Gibson. It took a long time for me to get used to it. At first it was very harsh. I think time mellows them out. Now it's one of my favorite metal axes and I love the thin shredder neck.

Comment

Im totally digging the tone. Its very crunchy, punchy and raspy. Its great.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post

2. Only Historics get the long tenon, so yes, you have a short tenon.
          I thought there were three tenons, short, regular and long?

Comment

So, a short review. The action and smoothness of the frets are phenomenal. The tone is different, but not better or worse than my Epis. It weighs around 11 to 12Lbs, and it has the nicest example of rosewood Ive ever seen. Hardly any pores at all, almost a brown ebony. My only gripe is the fucking tuners. Once I actually hand over money, I think its gonna get Grovers or something with a higher gearing ratio. Theres no in between with these damn things. You have to tune up and down 20 times to get the string tuned right. A half of a turn is all it takes to go from E to D, theyre not precise by any stretch of the imagination. Once you get it there, I will say theyre pretty stable though.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
              I thought there were three tenons, short, regular and long?
              Technically, yes there were three. Long, short, and Transitional. The Transitional was around for a short period of time during the Norlin era. It appeared around 1974 and was around for a couple of years or so. The regular production guitars today have short tenons. The Historics, Reissues, and some Custom Shops have long.
              Dont let the tenon deal diappoint you. I have all three types and you'd be hard pressed to feel a difference playing wise or hear a difference among them.
              Congrats on your LP!
              Rudy
              www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                Technically, yes there were three. Long, short, and Transitional. The Transitional was around for a short period of time during the Norlin era. It appeared around 1974 and was around for a couple of years or so. The regular production guitars today have short tenons. The Historics, Reissues, and some Custom Shops have long.
                Dont let the tenon deal diappoint you. I have all three types and you'd be hard pressed to feel a difference playing wise or hear a difference among them.
                Congrats on your LP!
                No disappointment on that aspect, was just an observation I had a question about. I wasnt aware the intermediate tenon was a short lived thing, was just surprised to not see it when I took the neck pickup out. Long tenon, short tenon, as long as the damn things securely glued in, I dont care.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
                  No disappointment on that aspect, was just an observation I had a question about. I wasnt aware the intermediate tenon was a short lived thing, was just surprised to not see it when I took the neck pickup out. Long tenon, short tenon, as long as the damn things securely glued in, I dont care.
                  I'm with you on that one. I have an 01 Les Paul Custom which has a short tenon. It sounds very fat and punchy.
                  Rudy
                  www.metalinc.net

Comment

Ahh, LPC. One day, I will own an 80s LPC in Ebony. The guitar that started this whole LP kick Ive been on. Standards will have to do for now(yes, plural, Im thinking I may get another one in Feb. too. I know for the price of two LPSs, I could snag a LPC, but that would only be 1 guitar. Gotta stock up now as it will be the last time Ill have the chance until I get a real job.).

Comment

First, check you nut if you are having tuning problem. Make sure the slots are not pinching the strings and that the slots are lubed up. The stock tuners are Gotoh and and pretty well made.

Next, besides the traditional tenon the new for 2008 LP Standards have what looks like a locking long tenon, sort of like a dovetail.

Comment

Nice guitar man!

The tuners are decent and should stay in tune pretty well, but the ratio is fairly quick. I got some locking 18:1 Grovers from Stewmac, it's like fine tuners on the headstock.

Comment

Take a file to the saddle notches and smooth them out that will help too.The nuts are barely cut so you should smooth those too then the Klusens will work fine.
                          Doing a lock wrap when stringing up helped my L.P's tuning stability as well.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Ha! I hadnt looked in the neck compartment of the case yet. It contained the optional pick guard AND the hang tag.

LP6+HBNH1 (dont know what this is)
                            Gibson LP STD 2002 Style AA 60's N
                            MSRP: $3098.00 Textron(whatever the hell Textron means)
                            N||||||||||||||||||| MI

Comment

Congrats! That's a sweet looking LP.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X