No announcement yet.

NGD 02 Gibson LPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing better than an LP - sounding, playing, everything!

Comment

those Gibson deluxe tuners are not all that good.
      there are some great drop in replacements for your LP.
      stock from the plant nut will have issues.
      Nut needs to be directional filed from string break point to tuner on each string.
      the G is always notorious for hanging up. PING!
      use a little bit of chapstick on the nut grooves.
      3 wraps of string max on the tuner posts.
      should get you there, better.
      congrats!
      >^v^<

Comment

Originally posted by murkat View Post
        those Gibson deluxe tuners are not all that good.
        there are some great drop in replacements for your LP.
        stock from the plant nut will have issues.
        Nut needs to be directional filed from string break point to tuner on each string.
        the G is always notorious for hanging up. PING!
        use a little bit of chapstick on the nut grooves.
        3 wraps of string max on the tuner posts.
        should get you there, better.
        congrats!
        No issues with hang ups on the strings, just seems the tuners stop just short of or just past center of the respective note until I go back and forth a dozen times. As far as wraps, I use 10-46 strings, there isnt even room on the low E and A tuners posts to get two full wraps.
        HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

You need to hit that thing with some nut sauce. It will help with the herky-jerk tuning issues.

GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
            No issues with hang ups on the strings, just seems the tuners stop just short of or just past center of the respective note until I go back and forth a dozen times. As far as wraps, I use 10-46 strings, there isnt even room on the low E and A tuners posts to get two full wraps.
            on the low E, A, D, (hard to explain, but bare with me.)
            with a new string, lets say the low E,
            past the low e tuner, cut string halfway between the a & d tuner, 1.5 tuner distance
            insert string, 1/4" protruding from insert, bend full length of string at tuner base 90 d.
            as you start to tighten, place wind above string insert, as wrap comes around to
            the other side of inserted string, now go below and finish the wrap, tune up.
            This produces a "pinch" on both sides of the inserted string in the tuner post.
            This is best for wound strings on Les Pauls with short tuner posts, locks them in good.
            I spent 7 years at the Gibson Custom Shop, Pro Shop department. I built a few Les Pauls
            >^v^<

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
              You need to hit that thing with some nut sauce. It will help with the herky-jerk tuning issues.

http://www.bigbends.com/nutsauce/ago...duct=Nut Sauce
              Ive got some nut sauce, I just assumed since I wasnt hearing the "pings" that the strings werent binding. Whats it take to lift the string and go ahead and put some nut sauce on it, 30-45 seconds. Ill give that a shot and see what happens. Murkat, thanks for the tip, Ill try that next stringing.

Comment

LP6+HBNH1 (dont know what this is)
                LP=Les Paul; 6=60s neck; I'm not sure about the +;HB should have to do with the color;NH=Nickel Hardware;Not sure what the final 1 is.
                Gibson LP STD 2002 Style AA 60's N
                MSRP: $3098.00 Textron(whatever the hell Textron means)
                N||||||||||||||||||| MI
                I'm not sure if this is the same Textron that I know of, but Textron (in my business line) loans money to dealers so that they can purchase inventory for sale to customers. So say you have a small ma and pa dealer and they want to stock Gibsons. Gibson might do something funny like force them to take $100K of stuff. Textron loans them the cash. And if they go belly up, Textron comes and takes there stuff. I guess.

Comment

According to a post at MLP, "+" indicate plus top and "HB" would indicate honey burst. If mine is indeed Honey Burst, its had some major discoloration happen. Its a yellowish trans black now, and it doesnt get darker towards the edges. Makes me wonder if this is the hang tag for this guitar.

EDIT: Gonna go with its not the hang tag for this guitar. Theres no Honey Burst discolored from bright yellow to black. So, I wonder what my finish is called.
                  Last edited by Twitch; 12-17-2011, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Look trans black to me.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

^^ Im pretty sure it is too, I just cant find pics of another one with a AA top, most the trans blacks seem to be at least AAA or the black water. Anyhow, its unique and thats part of the reason I picked this one. It like the odd blemishes on the top, and you cant go wrong with black.

Comment

was (to be slated as) Honey Burst, but, there is probably a flaw in the wood top.
                        So, it got re shot to a darker color to conceal whatever it is hiding.
                        >^v^<

Comment

Originally posted by murkat View Post
                          was (to be slated as) Honey Burst, but, there is probably a flaw in the wood top.
                          So, it got re shot to a darker color to conceal whatever it is hiding.
                          Interesting if true. There are some odd blemishes in the wood, primarily forward of the control knobs and under the tailpiece. Wouldnt that be the kind of thing that would have gotten a 2nd stamp back in the day? At any rate, its unique and those "flaws" to me, add character. That would explain the yellowishness of the black color(the yellowish hue doesnt come through in the pics).

Comment

very common practice at the plant and custom shop.
                            I know first hand.
                            >^v^<

Comment

Working...
                            X