DIY Blackheart Sassafras V Body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Blackheart Sassafras V Body

So what caught my eye originally on this 10 1/2" x 22" x 3" slab of wood was that the pith kinda mimicked the color and size of a rosewood fret board and I thought it might be visually neat to continue that stripe along the length of the body, this despite the fact that the billet was not quartersawn like what would be ideal. The end result well, to be honest, to me kinda looks like the cedro I could have found under the paint on a JS model, so in a way maybe I missed the point of using, what in the U.S. is def considered an exotic wood. Still I kinda dig the rustic look. Sorta reminds me of an old wooden handled screwdriver or hammer handle. Looks like a good old tool. Anyway. The neck is from Eden (have a bound Mighty Mite 24 I could have used, but I think unbound looks better on this body. Skinny frets though), machine heads are Shallers, trem is Jackson, and the hum is a Super Distortion. The finish is Tru oil and my first try at using it. There are still some low spots that I'll take care of in 6 months or a year when I'll have dinged it up enough to justify putting another few coats on. Also, the control cavity cover recess could stand to be squared up a little better. Will take care of that at some point later too. Bevels were done by hand just with a sanding block and look like it. Just way too intricate for me to try and work out a router jig for that. A case of seeing what still bugs me enough to try and perfect when it's time to refinish. But tonight I'm gonna rock it tonight. Anyway, thanks for looking.

There's a cabin in Prescott that has that pattern on the walls.. lol

I like the rustic look. How heavy is it?
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Sounds like an awesome cabin! She weighs in at a comfy six lbs.

Comment

looks good, man. Nice job
        Hail yesterday

Comment

Rules man!
          "Yet, every little piss ant wanna' be death metal wiener will just carbon copy the next phase.." Kam Lee/Massacre

LEFTY METAL HEAD!

Comment

Very good job! I like the look of that one.

Comment

Thanks gents!

Comment

Gotta agree, looks like an old tool that Grandpa had in his shed.

In a good way. Very rustic looking.

Comment

Working...
                X