01995_Performance_Snakeskin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 01995_Performance_Snakeskin

Back in the 80's when I was ateen I was really into DLR and when I first saw Steve Vai play the PerformanceFlame guitar in the "Going Crazy" video I was blown away. That was myfirst introduction to the boutique builder, Performance Guitars from HollywoodCalifornia.

http://www.performanceguitar.com/

Almost 2 years ago I landed my first Performance Guitar, the Corsair. I wasvery attracted to the more slim / sleek strat body (more sleek than a dinky)but I will admit that my attraction was based on my perception from when I wasa teen. So, even though that guitar has a rosewood board (and I'm not fond ofthem) I could not pass it up. I didn't pay huge money but it was no bargainether. When I got the guitar I was truly blown away. The feel and playabilityis just something I'll never be able to describe - I just love the guitar andthe sound is so heavy yet bright that it's really become one of my favorites. Iwas told it's basswood and it is very light so I'm inclined to believe thatalthough I have no supporting paperwork. I believe the wood is what makes it sopunchy yet it still has a nice bottom end.

So since that time I've been watching eBay everyday looking to land anotherPerformance. in that 21 month period or so I've seen a total of about 5Performance guitars come up and 4 of them have not fit my single hum or hum /single specs - there is a tele on eBay now but I'm not a tele guy.

Just last week this Snakeskin model came up in the UK - man, I was in love.It's wrapped in real snakeskin and I've heard that Performance is the onlycompany that can get it right due to their Japanese heritage. Now I'm not bigon artist endorsed guitars and in a way this pays tribute to Warren Demartinieven though Performance has not officially made it an endorsed or WD model.But, what the hell, it's a single hum, maple board wrapped in real snakeskin -does anything else say "80's" more than this?

Well, I made a deal with the seller (great guy) and now it's here in NY.

I will admit that the frets are not bad but do need some work and the action ishigher than I fancy so I'll be doing some fret and setup work when I get achance but boy does this sound KILLER!! - Very clean, distinct, sustainingnotes that just jump off the fret board - what can I say, awesome NGD!!

I'm currently putting together some specs to order a CS Performance so staytuned.

So, enough with my babble and here are the pics - enjoy:

That's bad ass! Really niiiiice

Comment

Wow, cool!

There's an old school Performance flame guitar that's always at the Dallas Guitar Show in April. Guy wants $3500, which is why it's always there.
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
        Wow, cool!

There's an old school Performance flame guitar that's always at the Dallas Guitar Show in April. Guy wants $3500, which is why it's always there.
        Interesting. If it's mint and all original, $3500 is not bad - it's not good but not bad. Some dude has a beat to shit one on ebay now (for the last year or so) for $4800. I almost got one for around $1500 but I was pretty sure the body was a fake - Performance never uses trem covers and this one had it.

Comment

Well, if you want me to keep you posted, lemme know!
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
            Well, if you want me to keep you posted, lemme know!
            Hey Sully - Yes, please do. I would not pay $3500 but that does not mean I would not try and work something out - if you have the guys contact info please pass it along. Thanks man!!

Comment

Oh, I definitely don't know the seller, but I'll get in touch and get some contact info for ya should I run into it again.

Sully
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Very cool Dave!

I've never played a Performance, but I've always been curious about them since Vai used his flame back in the day. Didn't realize the snakeskins had so much texture...

Comment

Originally posted by Ward View Post
                  Very cool Dave!

I've never played a Performance, but I've always been curious about them since Vai used his flame back in the day. Didn't realize the snakeskins had so much texture...
                  Thanks Man - this one is real snakeskin so it's pretty cool. The neck is very different than my Corsair but the body is similar. I've not measured it yet but the neck appears to be the same thickness all the way from the 1st fret until the heel...

Comment

BTW, here is my Corsair:

Last edited by Dave Rocks; 08-08-2012, 08:13 AM.

Comment

That Corsair is also killer!

Comment

How does the snakeskin feel on the arm when you play it? Does it scratch or irritate your skin at all or just feel kind of rough?
                        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                          How does the snakeskin feel on the arm when you play it? Does it scratch or irritate your skin at all or just feel kind of rough?
                          Great question - I really did not know what to expect. It feels as it's been clear coated but I don't know for sure (I need to ask Performance). In some places, the scale of the skin is raised / loose if that makes sense. If feels different but from my limited play time last night it was fine..

Comment

Sweet guitars, Dave!

Pat

Comment

Looks very nice!!

DaveRocks,
                              It seems you prefer the "Real Deal", but if you ever need a replica let me know.
                              Flame_4_2.JPG

Comment

Working...
                              X