Suhr 80's Shred... wow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ulijdavid View Post
    I didn't think the GMPs were crazy priced. Now I have a relative idea of what the pricing is. And....it sounds like your Vees were probably less than or equal to the USA Jacksons - I am now seeing typical RRs with lightning graphics priced at almost $2700.00 new. Sounds to me like I need to contact GMP for a new roundhorn.

Also, I personally would not pay $5k for a bolt on strat style guitar. The companies all use the same woods. In my mind I can buy a beat strat on ebay, pay Mike Learn for custom paint and have Dan Erlewine do some neck work (or have the guitar Plek'd) and I don't see more than $1500 invested. Come to think of it I would probably order a GMW.

Why? Don't you build awesome guitars yourself anyway? I thought you built Moshys' blue V?

Comment

Originally posted by veemagic View Post
      See that's what I don't understand about people spouting off at the mouth with absolutely no idea what they are talking about. My GMP was less than half of what you think it was. Don't like it, that's fine. It's not for you. It's apparently for me my Dad and the Barbie girls. But before you bash the price get your facts straight!
      and I'm the one that's stoned!
      Wow dude, you're making it difficult for me to not be condescending.

Standard plain Jane GMP, MSRP $4050, street price $2675. No graphics, no fancy wood, just clear coat and neck and headstock binding:

Standard cheap Suhr, MSRP $3910, street price $2749. No graphics, no fancy wood, just a clear coat.

McNaught order form, $3600 base retail price, 30% discount off final price. That would put it under $3k.
      Guitar Hangar is a family-owned musical instrument shop in Brookfield, CT. We sell new, used, and vintage instruments of all shapes and sizes – from beginner to pro and everything in between!

PRS sorta plain Jane, MSRP $5575, street price $3322. If Matt offers a forum discount, he could probably get it close to $3k.

OMG!!!1111!!! Hey, look, base prices aren't really all that different are they?

If you have half a brain you'd realize all their base prices, along with Jackson Custom are all in the same general price range. Maybe you're just not good with numbers. :P
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Trem View Post
        Why? Don't you build awesome guitars yourself anyway? I thought you built Moshys' blue V?
        Yeah, I do. And yes I built Mosh's 7 string V. But, I can't help myself. I just have a problem with liking a lot of different guitars.

Comment

Well I am sure glad you cleared all that up with your great grasp of numbers. Clearly I have no idea what I paid for my two orders, and your internet searches were far more thorough. Oh and I AM laying on the condescension. Thanks for the wonderful exchange.
          "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

When I priced a suhr it was $2700 for a bolt on with a pick guard and a gotoh floyd. I could buy a neck thru Jackson with a OFR floyd and flame top for $1700. To me that is just insane. There is
            NO way I am paying $1000 more for lesser guitar. The suhr didnt play any better than a Jackson USA soloist not by a long shot. The suhr was a nice guitar but way overpriced.
            "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
              When I priced a suhr it was $2700 for a bolt on with a pick guard and a gotoh floyd. I could buy a neck thru Jackson with a OFR floyd and flame top for $1700. To me that is just insane. There is
              NO way I am paying $1000 more for lesser guitar. The suhr didnt play any better than a Jackson USA soloist not by a long shot. The suhr was a nice guitar but way overpriced.
              I wouldn't say it a lesser guitar. Maybe to you personally as per your preference.
              They come with SS frets, = Win, they are pleked ( if only meaning it adds to the price ), the Gotoh floyd is proven quality, Bolt ons kick ass, pickguards kick ass, compound radius fretboard
              ( 10-14" which i would prefer ) , and you can get one with a frilly wood top all day long.
              USA Jacksons are listing at 2700 new, and there are probably 200 times or who knows how many times the amount of Jacksons on this earth than Suhr.

But i get what you are saying, being it due to your preference...same with me, No SS frets, No care.
              Just another way to look at it.

Comment

Well I am sure glad you cleared all that up with your great grasp of numbers. Clearly I have no idea what I paid for my two orders, and your internet searches were far more thorough. Oh and I AM laying on the condescension. Thanks for the wonderful exchange.
                Wow, you're a fucking idiot. Just because I paid $1200 for an ESP that cost someone over $5000 doesn't make all guitars that cost over $1200 a ripoff.

And your order price means exactly Jack Shit. Just because you butter somone else's nuts doesn't mean your price is what everyone pays. But of course you're too stupid to even realize that.

Seriously, you're a few brain cells short of being a rodent.

Comment

by that logic basically you can order warmoth parts with SS frets, pay for a good setup, have it plek'd and have a Suhr quality guitar for 1/4 the price. I think a lot of guys would be surprised how many of these supposedly hand built customs were started from warmoth parts. If you order the bodies without routes and necks without the fret slots and un shaped headstock, by request warmoth will not put there logo on it. one of the local repair guys here on long island was John Suhrs apprentice back in his Rudy days, you'd be surprised what some of those $3K guitars really were. & yes he had some very cool shop pics from back then.

for me if im paying that much for a guitar, i want KOA and brazilian rosewood, dyed red with the blood of some almost extinct animal, delivered by the St pauly girl..

I wouldn't say it a lesser guitar. Maybe to you personally as per your preference.
                  They come with SS frets, = Win, they are pleked ( if only meaning it adds to the price ), the Gotoh floyd is proven quality, Bolt ons kick ass, pickguards kick ass, compound radius fretboard
                  ( 10-14" which i would prefer ) , and you can get one with a frilly wood top all day long.
                  USA Jacksons are listing at 2700 new, and there are probably 200 times or who knows how many times the amount of Jacksons on this earth than Suhr.

But i get what you are saying, being it due to your preference...same with me, No SS frets, No care.

Comment

I could probably buy two or three of my Barbie GMP's for the cost of one of the Mcnaughts,PRS, or that Suhr.
                    I'm still waiting for the location of that special magic closet where you can buy a top of the line, brand new GMP for $1200-$1800. Anyways, it doesn't matter, that doesn't exist.
                    Last edited by xenophobe; 08-19-2012, 10:34 PM.

Comment

for me it's all about value I just can't see the value if it is not worth $1000 more than that Jackson soloist. Just no way on earth it's worth $1000 more. Supply Nd demand really don't matter. Its all about value for the dollar and the suhr is just way overpriced for what your getting.
                      "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
                        for me it's all about value I just can't see the value if it is not worth $1000 more than that Jackson soloist. Just no way on earth it's worth $1000 more. Supply Nd demand really don't matter. Its all about value for the dollar and the suhr is just way overpriced for what your getting.
                        And you can turn that $1,000 into a damn nice amp too
                        Jackson KV2
                        Jackson KE1T
                        Jackson KE1F
                        Jackson SL1

Comment

Different strokes. With Suhr or Anderson you can pretty much spec your neck the way you want it without an up charge which is nice. Tonally, I like a bolt on more, but again it all comes down to preference.

Comment

And all this is just silly. All of the companies named produce amazing Made in USA products. If you don't like the price, go somewhere else. If you don't like the product go somewhere else.

I did make fun of the US Flag GMP looking like a guitar that Hair Metal Barbie should own, because it does (don't like it, tough shit) but I don't question the quality or workmanship. These are all fine instruments. Pick the brand you like and don't worry what the other guy is playing.

I just posted it because I liked the paint drip, but I don't like the scalloped maple board. It should have ebony, as every goddamned guitar in the world should have.

Comment

I don't know. I have played lots and lots and lots of Suhrs. They get great reviews everywhere on every forum. The ones I played were built great. As much as I wanted to like them they felt sterile to me. The tone was really good on all of them. But for some reason I just don't like the feel. It may be the way the frets are done.

I did not like any of the 22 fret models at all. None of them. They felt "stiff." The moderns were OK. I have played about 10 moderns. GG, standard etc...

I know they are great guitars but honestly my Jackson Custom shop and Rico Jr. have every bit of the quality of a Suhr IMO.

You go to some of these forums and people just drool and praise these things to high heaven. Rig-Talk, Gearpage etc...
                              Guess I just don't get it. I don't think there is anything bad or wrong as these are about as good as guitars get but for some reason they just don't fit me.

But then Anderson's did not do anything for me either. Tyler on the other hand had that familiar feel to the neck similar to a Charvel. I like the Tylers but forget that headstock I just ain't doing it.

However my Jackson Custom was $2500 for a bolt on. My Rico Jr. ouch - $4000. The Rico is almost a one of a kind custom though except for the body shape. And it is a carved top. Special requested wood, a fully custom made headstock shape, jazz tuners etc.... $600 upcharge alone just for the custom one of a kind headstock and special reverse angel hand picked 1/2" maple top. Everything on it is the best of the best and I measured everything to my specs including the fretboard width and thickness in several areas of the neck. I did not buy either of these for resale and they will be with me for life and I am glad I bought them. Both are top of the heap in playability and tone and stunning to look at.

Gigged with the Jackson but the Rico ain't leaving the house.
                              Last edited by shredmonster; 08-21-2012, 03:02 PM.
                              PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Great guitars but REALLY REALLY EXPENSIVE!!! I know a few rich guys who play them. For the money you could buy a bunch of Jacksons or Charvels.

Comment

Working...
                                X