No announcement yet.

NGD: My MIJ Fender Stratocaster...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Gotoh trems are really nice, for sure. The bushings for those are longer and thicker than a standard floyd post is. That may be what you're feeling.

Sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
      The Gotoh trems are really nice, for sure. The bushings for those are longer and thicker than a standard floyd post is. That may be what you're feeling.

Sully
      There's some actual vibration coming from somewhere else on the guitar that I haven't quite pinned down. I don't really care at this point, the guitar is so well done for what I paid. Build quality on par or slightly better than Jackson with the exception of the sides of the frets, which isn't a big deal because you can't feel it when playing, only when being anal and running your fingertip across fret ends. It also usually takes a bit more effort to get the action as low as this fender as I would set up my Jacksons.
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I spent a hour or so trying to figure out what you have there so I can add it to my target list. I've appreciated your comments on axes you've owned in the past, and with your comments on the build quality I'd probably go after one sight unseen if I could find it at the right price.

If you figure out what it is, or get any additional info, please post it.

I keep finding contemporary strats that have similar specs, but all OFR and rosewood so not thinking they're the same model.

Comment

This is the blog post from a store's employee blog announcing the special order in 2010, sadly the youtube video has been taken down, I would like to have downloaded it:

??????????????????Fender Japan ST-80'S Type L.A.(ST57 1H)?????????????KEY SPECI…

I've looked over everything, even being anal retentive, I can't find any flaws in the paint that come close to the threshold of even mentioning, and even the paint in the trem route is consistent and perfect. All the routed edges have a nice consistent edge and uniform coat of paint without any bubbling or gathering, even where it doesn't really matter. The finish is pure gloss white. It has a deep white look to it. I've owned a number of white poly guitars and this is by far the deepest looking of them. I dunno how to explain it better than that. I would rather have nitro, but you can't have everything, I guess. lol

All of the sanding of the edges of the headstock, front and back, is uniform and consistent. I especially love the volute, which isn't even standard Fender, there's no sharp break anywhere. It's been sanded and the edges rounded down uniformly and artistically. It feels good and it looks great. It has a satin clear coat finish on it that feels remarkably close to a 1500-2000 grit finely sanded oiled finish.

There is one tiny chip in the body's neck pocket edge visible in the picture, it looks as if some very minor additional routing was done at the factory to fit the pocket after paint, but that's the only real flaw I can see and it's not really visible with the neck installed. I may not know Fender guitars very well, but I have owned 30+ CS guitars from Jackson, BC Rich, ESP and Warwick as well as plenty of imports and US standard production guitars to know what good craftsmanship feels like and my standard for the CJCS isn't even this high.

And to top it off, it has the amazing Gotoh trem. Everything I hated about an OFR was cured for me by the Floyd Rose Pro, or the Schaller, whatever you want to call it. This trem makes that feel so obsolete. Oh and the fine tuners are calibrated so much better. I'll have to grab my strobe tuner to figure out how much a complete turn adjusts... but I'll talk about that when I actually do my in-depth review of the Gotoh in a few days.

And in the last month or so, I've been on another major search for a new #1... I dunno how many times I've done this and then weeded out what I didn't like or couldn't find an attachment to it. And every guitar I've adjusted the truss to my liking, intonated when necessary, set the action where I want and then fine tune with spring location and tension till I'm happy or give up in frustration. Even after the culmination of doing this multiple times over the past 20+ years and then weeding down to my best 3 or 4 players, I've only owned one other CS Jackson that played this well and had that personal attachment factor, and it's not my strathead.

If I flatten the fretboard just a touch, like maybe 1/8 of a turn of the truss at best, I'll be able to get this action un-playably low. My Flying V will go this low, that neck is just incredible too... I've had maybe 3 or 4 CS Jacksons that could come down as far as this strat, but only 1 that I liked as much. Go figure.

I've been a brand loyalist far too long and Jackson hasn't really done necks the way I've liked since the mid to late 90's CS neckthrus.

Oh, and yeah, I'm kinda gushing over this guitar. Some guitars have necks with tonally/vibrational dead/overactive spots. This neck feels like every spot is a 'live' spot and it doesn't seem to have any favorite vibration range. Maybe it's just the maple neck, I dunno. lol
          Last edited by xenophobe; 08-24-2012, 08:36 AM.

Comment

very cool, it must have a flatter radious than typical fenders. ive found standard fender fretboard radious's suck for floyds and low action. & they can build quality shit in any country. maybe its just me, thicker necks with 1 way truss rods all seem to resonate and sound more lively than my C/Js and Rich super strats.

Comment

If I knew a way to measure the fretboard accurately, I would. Lots of meticulous detail work, and I can only say that assuredly because I've done a lot of finish carpentry in the past. It's really an outstanding guitar for being so plain jane-ish. Hell, I've owned a lot of nice guitars... I don't think I've ever gushed as much as this...

Comment

that strat is gush worthy, for sure!!!! i know i am green with envy
                GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Thanks! Those luthiers at the Fender Japan plant must be happy with their jobs, it shows in their craftsmanship.

Comment

for the possible vibration,
                    the Gotoh posts have a very small allen head set screw...
                    You set the depth / height of the post(s),
                    then "lock it in place" with the allen screw which is down center in the shaft of the posts.
                    Could not be set, and rattling in there (?)

J
                    >^v^<

Comment

I replaced the two factory springs with three noise cancelling springs and it's cured. You're right, I don't have the trem posts locked. I have the guitar at a luthier to get the fretboard edges rolled. I'll check the posts out once I get it back.

Comment

Working...
                      X