Charvel USA Trans Candy Gold Pro Mod...or Steve Stevens 80's Hamer SSII USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel USA Trans Candy Gold Pro Mod...or Steve Stevens 80's Hamer SSII USA

Seen a Hamer SSII USA, Original Floyd Rose, H/S, Mahogany natural body with a fast wide hybridy rosewood/maple long tenon set neck, big frets and low action. Looks really appealing.

Also seen a USA Trans Candy Gold Pro Mod H/S/S....

Which would you go for?

Anyone remember the '80's Hamer Steve Stevens SSII's? What are they all about? I kind of just feel in love with it's honest looks, but don't know anything about them or what they are worth. Seem like they have one hell of a Gibsony/ Superstrat fast neck hybridy thing going on and only 22 frets which I like.
    You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

completely different animals. Personally i'd go for the hamer. you don't find those if its got the locking nut bolts thru the neck, check carfeully, Hamers are infamous for cracks there especially between the 2 bolts.

Comment

Send Emerald a PM on the SS. He probably knows everything about them.
      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

The Hamer. I have owned many of them over the years. Very good quality.

Comment

I'd go with the Hamer.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Personally, I'd go with the Charvel. I've had both Hamer SS I and II, and I could never get on with them. Fabulous build quality and finish, but never worked for me. Admittedly, it was more likely to be a deficiency in the player rather than the guitars...

Comment

Charvel hands down. I have owned a Hamer Cali and currently own a Hamer TLE. I regularly jam with Hamer guys in town here. I go to Chicago jams where there are 60 guys with all kinds of Hamers. Point is I know Hamers. Played most of the models out there.

Charvels / Jacksons have a totally different feel - which I happen to really like. They have more of a D shaped neck. Hamers are more C shaped. Charvels will have jumbo frets. I have yet to see a Hamer with jumbo frets - I have literally seen hundreds - yes hundreds of Hamers. They usually have medium frets. Charvels will usually have a 1 - 11/16" nut where the Hamers almost always have 1-5/8".

Unless I get necks custom made for me I have yet to find a better neck than a Charvel period.

However if you like the feel of a Gibson I would say get the Hamer.
              Last edited by shredmonster; 09-11-2012, 03:20 PM.
              PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

for me, the Charvel. I had a friend's green sparkle Hamer SS, and it was TINY. And short scale, iirc. Strikes one and two for ol' Sully.
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by slayer View Post
                  The Hamer. I have owned many of them over the years. Very good quality.
                  +1 I own 2 SS IIs [and a SSI]. I'll probably be buried with the
                  copper SSII in my coffin!

Comment

Working...
                  X