Bass Strings??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass Strings??

I just bought an Ibanez SR1200 and it is in dire need of new strings. This is my first bass and it will be the first time I ever bought strings. Which ones should I get. What gauge, scale, style brand?? Regarding styles, I am looking at Steve Harris, Flea, TM Stevens which I am pretty sure is considered a bright high end type sound?
    I just need some help because I have been reading about flat wound, round wound, steel, scale lengths. There seems to be more to think about than buying guitar strings.

steve harris uses flatwounds. you mentioned in your other thread that you wanted to play funky. flatwounds won't work for that. they tend to have a duller tone. steve harris plays through weird gear to get his sound.

personally, i use round wound, ernie ball "regular slinky" gauged 50-105. i like a slightly heavier low E, but a lighter high E. here is the link to what i use:

i have 2 basses, a spector NS2 and an ESP made kramer "american". each has different sounds, but i use the same strings on both and the feel is consistent.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

oh, and regarding all the other stuff you mentioned...yeah, bass is a lot more complicated with the details than guitar. think "hi-fi" and "full-range" and you might be a bit better off. that is what i did, and it helped me a lot!!
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Thanks as always Mark! JG

Comment

When I played a lot of bass, I ended up going through a lot of strings. I ended up staying with DR Hi-Beams. Round wound stainless steel... they sound good and they lasted a long time.
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

first ROTOSOUND..2nd Gibson "Thunderbass" round wounds only. The kind that tears your fingers to shreds!!

No flats..you wants the britghtest strings humanly possible. If you want to sound anything like Flea or TM stevens..well then. that!

You wants crisp, punch and growl!..Not mud. That's what tone knobs are for.
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

GHS Precision Flats... 45-95 long scale.
              The only bass strings I really liked.
              I have active electronics in my bass, so I can make them sound smooth as silk or slappy and bright.
              -Rick

Comment

Roto's for me also.
                Rounds, never flats.

I have a 5 string but hardly ever touch the low B.
                EB's are OK but in my limited experience they get dull too quickly.

Comment

Working...
                X