Jake e lee build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jake e lee build

Thinking about putting together a nice Jake e Lee charvel. Thinking about going through warmoth. Any thoughts? Hope I posted this in the right place.....

Try KNE.com.. THey cut more accurate Jake bodies..
    John 3:16

Comment

For Jake build, Jacksonluvr is correct - contact a smaller builder that will build to your needs. KNE will also paint it for you. This is really nice if you choose Ash for the body. Ash is a pain to pore fill and level before paint.

If you want to get real accurate with the neck, I suggest buying a large headstock rosewood fretboard w/ skunk stripe and bullet truss rod from Allparts (Part number LRO-B). You would then have to re-configure the headstock to the smaller size. You can also accomplish the same thing by modifying a Fender 70's type neck off of ebay.

I have seen a vendor on ebay selling Jake E Lee hardtail bridges for $100.00. You may not like the price, but it is very reasonable. The bridge has the one piece brass base and saddles. It has the large "hulking" place for the intonation screws - not the typical bent Fender base. The base is already black Chromed (or nickel) and the saddles are chromed. You can buy a Charvel type hardtail from Wayne guitars, but then you will have to get the different platings done.

Here are some pics of a Jake I had done long ago.
      CP-042.jpgCP-047.jpgCP-059.jpgJL-032.JPG

Comment

Contact these guys. They make replica Charvel bridges and do the Jake model.

Comment

if not KNE, musikraft. Ive ordered bodies from them and no complaints at all, i also have a mutt someone assembled from their parts, def good stuff. plays as well as any high end guitar i own.

Comment

Originally posted by metal4you View Post
            Those are wonky as hell, and I don't think Jake ever really played them much!

Comment

Agreed
              Originally posted by Axewielder View Post

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. this is going to be a slow project, as money is tight. But I want to do this right and use high quality components. I appreciate the recommendations

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                  Those ESP's are great. They play like butter. The headstock is wonky though. They should have one of these:

The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Be aware when getting the body made that the OEM Charvel /OC Customs bridge has a narrower spacing than the standard F spaced Fender Hardtail bridge and the three screws are slightly misaligned. Found that out last month! I do wonder what was the situation with Jake's original Body, I mean being drilled for a F-Spaced Fender hardtail bridge and then having a Gibson spaced, Charvel Bridge fitted in it's place. I'II swear that he got a Charvel body swap, rather than had his Sunburst refinished. Also people point out that his Whitey had a huge gap between the body and the neck at the heel. But in 82/83, when ever Whitey was born again, I don't know that Charvel were doing a 2 1/4" heel, still a 3 and 3/16" so I'm told - I think they introduced the larger heel as standard with pointie headstocks, I have no idea when they were introduced, probably later than 82/83 though. So that kind of blows the theory. Anyway I wonder if they filled and redrilled the hardtail holes or just, kind of widened them a bit on Jake's.

If you want to be a precisionist, it might make sense to get the bridge first and send details of it through to Mitch at KNE or maybe hang out for a 70's reissue neck first, rather than an Allparts one, as they'll have the closer 12th fret, fret dots. As Ulijdavid says, Allparts are the only company to offer a bullet truss rod neck for reasonable money. I got lucky and scored some sort of '70's RI Fender neck with a bullet rod and close fret dots, I don't know if Fender did a Mexican run of these back in the '90's or whether it was a modern US reissue, but I certainly didn't pay US RI prices and it was too cheap to pass on. It came with the serial and logo stratched off. Maybe it was nicked I donno. It's mine now though.
                    You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

seems like this bridge would do the trick without needing a string through body

Comment

oops nevermind
                        Originally posted by rhoadsfan11 View Post
                        seems like this bridge would do the trick without needing a string through body
                        http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brass-Hardta...item20cbe658a4

Comment

Working...
                        X