Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Non mint 1976 Les Paul Custom..... Am I an idiot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non mint 1976 Les Paul Custom..... Am I an idiot?

Found one for 1300 with 2 coil splits and a "b" on the headstock, which I think is due to a line in the finish, presumably between 2 pieces. It's still sitting there. Wine red, played nice, comes with original case.

I always wanted a custom- I know it's Norlin, whatever. Any thoughts?

Bridge was also swapped for something I didn't recognize.
    Last edited by Vass; 11-06-2012, 10:29 AM.

If you like it and it sounds good, you could do worse.
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

If you like it, you like it.

As for the price I have no idea. But the more I like a guitar, the less I'm concerned about the price tag.
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I have been watching the customs on fleebay and have not seen any go for less than $1900. If you don't end up liking it, it seems you should be able to get your money back relatively easy on a flip.

Comment

Ace played a Norlin. Lots of people played them. They sound good and play good. I never understood the anti-Norlin thing.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks guys. Re reading my post it does have the characteristics I kinda dislike in posts from others. So maybe I could've done a better job of saying what I meant. I have so little about Les Pauls it could be anything and it would make much of a difference Norlin whatever. I never end up selling shit so yeah, market value is in that sense totally irrelevant.

Ill cruise by and see if its still there. I liked the way it felt but haven't gassed it up... They don't have much in the way of amps so I have been going by feel. Felt good. Thinner neck than my old Studio but not thin by any means.

After the original post I came by a "can't pass it up" deal, so I already have a NGD on the way and my GAS is sated for the moment. The B stock thing is what I had a concern over but my half assed google research indicates its almost never anything serious.

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much about b-stocks. If it was an electronics issue that got it the b then that should be no concern because it's almost guaranteed that it was fixed before being sent back out as a b. Often times it's a cosmetic flaw that gets it the grade. If that's the case then as long as you can live with the appearance of it and it feels good to you then pull the trigger.
              In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

The B indicates BLEMISH, which excludes electronics of every sort. Look the guitar over carefully and if you still love it, done deal. The B is for something in its finish - only.
                Mitch
                AxeDealers/Guitarsehole

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                  Ace played a Norlin. Lots of people played them. They sound good and play good. I never understood the anti-Norlin thing.
                  The anti-Norlin sentiments come from Gibson cork sniffers who think any deviation from the original 50's design Les Pauls makes them inferior. I say it makes them different but not inferior. I have some Norlin era Les Paul Customs and love them! Oh yeah, that Randy Rhoads guy played a white Les Paul Custom that also just happens to be a Norlin
                  Rudy
                  www.metalinc.net

Comment

There is some objectivity about Norlin-era Les Pauls, in that were built with some features which don't belong on a top instrument. For example, the mahogany body pancake instead of a single piece, or the ill-placed neck volute: a good idea in theory, but the fact that it was poorly executed actually makes for a weaker neck.

Generally speaking also, many of them are very heavy, in the 10-11lbs range. Tonally this means that they tend to be less resonant and "airy" for lack of a better word, but the advantage is that usually they sustain very well, with fewer structural dead spots, as cross resonancies between neck and body tend to occur at frequencies above the instrument's range.

So, no doubt that original 50's Les Pauls are better instruments, and so are modern Les Pauls. But the Norlin-era LP's are still quality instruments, with their own tonal merits if that's what you like, and 600 bucks for a LP custom is a good price.

Comment

I was under the impression that a b-stock guitar was any one with a defect from the factory, not just finish imperfections. Having had whatever the issue was repaired, if possible, it could still not be sold as a new guitar thus was graded as b-stock for sale.
                      In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

Congratulations, they're great guitars. Stamped B stock is probably something minor in the finish. If it sounds, plays and looks cool who cares? Enjoy it. I want a BB LPC...
                        shawnlutz.com

Comment

All the iconic rock was played on a Norlin L.P. think of it that way.
                          If you like how it plays buy it I have never had a bad Norlin if that helps, some of the newer ones I have had some duds.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

If you like it, then all is good.
                            But you can never get away from that "B" designation.

I've been tempted in that territory but never convinced myself to close the deal just on that one detail.
                            We may not care, but the market does.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
                              If you like it, then all is good.
                              But you can never get away from that "B" designation.

I've been tempted in that territory but never convinced myself to close the deal just on that one detail.
                              We may not care, but the market does.
                              Fact
                              Mitch
                              AxeDealers/Guitarsehole

Comment

Working...
                              X