Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NGD: Fender Strikes Again! Also: Need help, ASAP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD: Fender Strikes Again! Also: Need help, ASAP!

Blackout pictures added. lol

So, I stopped by one of my local consignment shops. Something catches my eye. Yeah, it's horribly overpriced. I pick it up anyway and start to strum it. Oh man. As if the blank ebony board wasn't calling my name... the matching headstock screamed at me too. I tried to negotiate, they wouldn't have any of it. So I leave with it anyway.

God, this thing plays. Not perfectly, but damn well beyond acceptable. This, now, might be the best sounding Strat I have... Enough to where I'm scared to return it and buy another cheaper one sight unseen. There's one on ebay with original HSC that this didn't come with. What do I do? Return this and hope the other plays as well? I have another day I can get a full refund... after that it's 14 days of store credit.

I'm mesmerized. And yes, I'm going to pick up all the parts needed to fully black out this guitar. The chrome stands out too much. And I like all black. The trem will be the difficult part. /sigh

What should I do? Return this and hope the one I can't try before I buy will play better? Or should I just suck it up and take the beating and keep this amazing guitar?

EDIT: 4 Oct 2015

I never took "after" pictures. I still couldn't find appropriate black knurled knobs, but I do have black plastic. I could never find the correct sperzels... seems they only made the Deluxe version tuners in Chrome... but I added as much black bits to it as I could, and I think the headstock looks pretty amazing now. The Gotoh was a drop in fit but it needed a custom sized block.

Last edited by xenophobe; 10-05-2015, 02:05 AM.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Nice one! I'd return it and try to get the other one with the case. How much of a price difference is the one on ebay? Or see if they'll get you a case or some kind of reduction on price due to not having one?
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

They just got it in so they didn't want to move on the price. It was $1200, it came with a Fender case, but not the G&G. I don't care so much about that, but I have no idea what ending price the ebay one will have.

My main concern is that the one I get off ebay won't play as nice. This has a wonderfully flat neck. Ah man... dunno what to do.

I'm fairly certain they won't do anything with the price. It was the nicest guitar at their shop. :\

Comment

Hmm. I guess if you got a case with it and it plays nice and you're happy with the price, then stick with it. It's a crapshoot as to whether the other one will play as well.

Comment

Ahh.
          The None More Black FSR Deluxe Strat.

I have one that's almost my daily driver. The necks on these are that good.
          I'd keep the one you have if you like it. The case isn't anything special.

Word of warning though. The knobs are push/push to engage the S1 switching. That knob is a PITA to remove w/o breaking it.
          Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

wow....VERY nice....maybe the nicest strat I have every seen. Its going to look SICK blacked out.....good score ....

oh, and KEEP IT!
            Last edited by dvscool; 11-30-2012, 01:59 PM.
            -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

Comment

I HATE strats, but that one is sweet. Love that blank board

Comment

Ok, I'm keeping it. Didn't take much to twist my arm.

So what is the S1 switching? That's just for the single coils, I take it.

Whatever humbucker is in there, it's pretty awesome.

Comment

that is a pretty one Mike, but $1200? Ouch! In a few months it'll be selling for $700 on the bay. I say return it.
                    Sam

Comment

$700? It's a deluxe, not a standard. The only ones I could find for sale google searching forums years back were all in the $900-$1200 range.

Comment

KEEP IT. Moving on....lol....

Its a great strat.....
                        -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                          So what is the S1 switching? That's just for the single coils, I take it.
                          I think it's to split the coils of the humbucker, and also convert from series to parallel.

Comment

Here's some info about the S1. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/brows...ediaId=m712031

Comment

I think it's more phasing vs splitting.

As for the price, they sold for 1599.99 in 2005 (I believe), I doubt they will go lower than 900-1200.

They were a very limited run, Either 250 or 500, and they came out with almost no marketing.
                              I lucked into one as I was looking for a SSH strat as they hit the market. Fell in love with the pics then the guitar.
                              Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Working...
                              X