NGD - Surprise Xmas gift from wife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD - Surprise Xmas gift from wife

After I opened it, my wife tells me, "I just didn't have any ideas of what to get you." All guys should be this lucky
    I do not have a photo account so here is what I got:
    Shop the best selection of Gibson SG guitars: ? guaranteed low price, ? free shipping, ? 0% financing, ? 8% back in rewards.

Mine is a 2009, black, with hard Gibson case. At first I thought it was just a case for my acoustic. My friend bidded on 2 last summer in hopes of getting 1. He ended up winning both. So he parted with one of them at a ridiculously low holiday price. Guitar and case are in 9.9 out of 10 condition. I played a LP years back that was my singer's guitar but this is my 1st Gibson I have ever owned.

I'm considering making it my drop-D stage guitar. Are SG's good for low tuning? I know Iommi played some low stuff but anyone here have thoughts? Would you put 11's on it?

That is a great gift and a totally solid guitar. The other guitar player in my band has been playing one for years with no issues. No issues with drop D using standard 9-42 gauge strings. I would recommend the light top heavy bottom gauge if you are going drop d. That would be 9-46 gauge.

Comment

What string gauge do you like on your Jacksons? These are shorter scale so the same string gauge will have less tension. Do you solo or are you a 2-3 note power chord basher? If you solo look at some of the light top/heavy bottom strings.

Because of his finger damage, Iommi plays very light gauge strings to enable easier bending. SG's allow plenty of downtuning, the only caveat being if you want to go down to some ridiculous downtuning you are probably going to need to get the nut slots cut a little bigger.

For drop D on a short scale guitar though you probably won't need to worry about going to a heavier gauge string, just play what you are accustomed to end enjoy the loose slinkier feel the shorter scale will give you.
      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

My current drop-D axe is a Model 7 with 10's. I miss playing it more often so this is why I want to switch to the SG. I doubt I will be shredding much on it. I will leave that to my Charvels.

I did not realize the scale. So the SG is the same scale as my Fusion. Hmmm.. Well now I sort of have an idea of what it will feel like with 10's. Thanks guys.

Comment

Don'tcha love when the wives/sig. others do that stuff? My wife has scored me several killer axes over the years including this x-mas' iridescent Hamer Cali LE.

Comment

4th guitar in 22 years of relationship = about 1 every 5 years. I really need a new acoustic. Remind me to throw around hints in 2017.

Comment

Nice one! Congrats. My fiance also got me a guitar this year for Xmas, but I got it a couple months early.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Was that the AW-7, toejam?
                "Dave Mustaine - apparently, he invented thrash AND Christmas." - Grandturk

Comment

As far as the OP goes, yeah reasonable down tuning shouldn't be a problem. Really the only limit your gonna hit will be the size of the slot in the nut! If you're gonna try to go super low, you may have to file the nut slots to accept bigger strings... I had an SG for years and normally played with 11's(dropped D was no issue)... I tried some heavier droppings and going to B, to play with a 7 string friend.... It should take whatever you through at it!!!!
                  Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Originally posted by ekalb09 View Post
                    Was that the AW-7, toejam?
                    Indeed, it is the AW-7. It's a great player!
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                    X