My Les Paul Project (Pic Heavy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Les Paul Project (Pic Heavy)

Hey guys, I don't post too often but I lurk pretty regularly and just thought I'd share some pics of my project.
    Seems like every year I get the Les Paul GAS for no reason that I can figure out, and though I've never actually owned a real Gibson LP I've tried others (Agile and the like) and none have ever managed to stick. So I decided that since I also kinda have the aspiring luthier bug as well that maybe the way to finally bond with one was to put it together myself.

Started out with a random Chibson body and neck that I grabbed off eBay. I was actually surprised with the quality when I got it and it had the specs I was looking for (triple bound body and h/s, bound neck, block inlays, etc). I was very tempted to do a transparent finish on this but decided to stick to my original idea.

All glued up.

I wanted to make this one a little more "personalized" to my preferences so I filled 3 of the holes since I only wanted to have just a 1 Vol, 3-way setup. Here it is with the bridge and stoptail holes drilled and all masked off for paint.

I don't usually need that many.

Here it is after sanding sealer and a few coats of primer.

...after the first few coats of colour...

...and unmasked once the black was dry...

Like many metal fans I'm also a big horror movie buff so I decided to go that route with the graphics. I've seen alot of the movie tribute guitars, the Friday the 13th and Nightmare On Elm St. guitars and such, but I've never seen one with my personal favorite Michael Myers from Halloween. I should probably note that these are all vinyl decals, I didn't actually paint any of the graphics.

Apparently I didn't take any pics during the clear coating process, so here it is after some shielding paint for the cavities.

....and some shielding tape for the covers.

I'm not into hell.........I just dig the soundtrack.........

All wet sanded and buffed out.

Ready for assembly.

I decided to give these Dragonfire pickups a try because they were relatively cheap, I've read a few good reviews, I liked the idea of the 12 adjustable poles and they're silly high output (8.75 and 16.9ohms respectively, very similar to the Duncan Distortion set), so we'll see how they do.

Switchcraft switch, CTS 500k pot and the jack.

...and we're done. It didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped, which is to say it's not factory perfect, but for my first full finish I'm very pleased with the results.

Thanks for looking!!!

Comment

Nice work!
      What did the body and neck run you?
      They look pretty decent.
      -Rick

Comment

Thanks!!! Actually fairly cheap for the neck and body, I think somewhere around $150 shipped or so.

Comment

Nice job.

That Myers graphic really looks great on there.

Comment

That is amazing bro... awesome work and great choice on the theme... everybody does Friday the 13th...
            sigpic
            Action Jackson

Comment

Nice job, thats sharp looking.

Comment

A blood red trans finish with that graphic would have looked cool too, it seems a shame to cover that nice top up. But it still looks cool and original.
                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Thanks everyone!!

Originally posted by Nimitz View Post
                  That is amazing bro... awesome work and great choice on the theme... everybody does Friday the 13th...
                  I thought it was past time Michael got some love too...

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                  A blood red trans finish with that graphic would have looked cool too, it seems a shame to cover that nice top up. But it still looks cool and original.
                  I had the same thought, I really liked the top too, only I had thought trans black. Red with the rest of the guitar black would probably have looked sick.

Comment

Nice job. The blade on the back of the neck was a nice touch.
                    What did you use for the clear coat?
                    How did you like the Dragonfire pickups? I have used their actives, and for the price they were good, but haven't tried the screamers.
                    My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

I can't believe I left that out......it was finished with Nitrocellulose Lacquer. The sealer, primer, black and first few coats of clear were done with spray cans, the last few coats of clear were Nitro that I thinned and sprayed with Preval sprayers.

The pickups seem pretty good so far. These are the Hexbuckers, I haven't played it too much yet because I'm still tinkering with the setup. I can say for sure that the neck pickup sounds really good in this guitar.

Comment

Was the neck a tight fit? So many of those I've seen have some shoddy neck joints.
                        Need shims and things like that is what I mean.
                        Came out nice tho'.
                        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

That is absolutley kickass! how much did this cost total, parts-wise? I think I might try something like this.
                          I want a guitar made of ALL abalone. That would be badass. All shellfish should die for my shreddage delight.

Guitar Guy 22345762.9 is Jarek...like from Subway.

Comment

Great job! Thanks for sharing your project. Inspires me to get back on my latest project.

Comment

Nice job. That came out great!
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X