Recommend me a 7 string

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend me a 7 string

As the title says. I'm having trouble finding/choosing me a seven, for some good old downtuned prog metal. What I want:

- Superstrat shape
    - Passive pickups (dimarzios and duncans are fine)
    - Floyd/Edge/some kind of floating trem
    - Not Schecter, as I find the neck shape/body shape uncomfortable to play live
    - Preferably not basswood
    - Preferably some colour other than black
    - Preferably around a grand in your US dollars

Any suggestions?
    I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

I was considering getting a 7 string too when I get the money. I was looking into Ibanez because they usually have thin necks. The thing that sucks though is that most of them are basswood.

I did find one that had a mahogany body with passive pickups and an Edge floating bridge. It comes in red trans burst or gray trans burst too...

Here it is for $850 from guitar center. Guitar Center also has $150 off of $749 or more promotion going on.

Jackson ke3 kelly trans blue
    Jackson Dk2m bengal with emg 81/85

Comment

I have an Ibanez RGA but that doesn't fit all your requirements. What I would recommend though if you want a shredder is a 25 1/2" scale length. I tried the Jackson 26 1/2" X series before the RGA and while it was a FANTASTIC guitar, I just couldn't get used to the length as far as soloing and stuff goes. That's just my opinion though. You'll probably want to try out both scale length's to see which you like best.

Comment

Here's a couple LTDs.

http://www.gearhounds.com/esp-ltd-ben-savage-bs-7-electric-guitar-see-thru-black.aspx

http://www.gearhounds.com/esp-ltd-ma...k-satin-2.aspx
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

My WR7 has a thin neck. You might want to play a thin-neck 7-string before saying it's better than a thicker neck. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but a thin neck actually gives the illusion of it being wider than it really is. Hitting that low C5 power chord on the first fret is a bit more work than it should be imo. Much easier to grab that on my DX7, which has a thicker neck.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations all.

Originally posted by toejam View Post
            http://www.gearhounds.com/esp-ltd-ben-savage-bs-7-electric-guitar-see-thru-black.aspx[/URL]
            This looks interesting TJ, Have you tried it?

Originally posted by Newc View Post
            My WR7 has a thin neck. You might want to play a thin-neck 7-string before saying it's better than a thicker neck. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but a thin neck actually gives the illusion of it being wider than it really is. Hitting that low C5 power chord on the first fret is a bit more work than it should be imo. Much easier to grab that on my DX7, which has a thicker neck.
            I kinda like the Ibanez UV/RG necks, but I have large hands anyway so it shouldn't be so much of a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by levantin View Post
              This looks interesting TJ, Have you tried it?
              I haven't tried the Ben Savage model, but I do own the Alex Wade hardtail model and really like it a lot. The neck seems a little similar to my Carvin which is somewhere in between the thinner Ibanez RG7620 I used to own and the slightly thicker Schecter 007 Elite I also used to own.
              I think someone here actually had the BS model for sale in the Classifieds not too long ago. The guys at www.sevenstring.org should be able to help you out, too.

Comment

Toe, what did you think about the 7620? There's one up for sale locally at a tempting price.

Comment

It was a decent player. It sounded okay, but I wasn't a big fan of it since its body is basswood.

Comment

Ibanez Universe?
                    Haters gonna hate
                    Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

Comment

Levantin I am going out of town sunday for a bit over a week but if you want to peruse the guitar center online site and find what you want ill take care of helping get it and getting it to you. I have done this a bunch of times.
                      Haters gonna hate
                      Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

Comment

thanks for the offer c-man, I'll definitely consider it.

Comment

RGD-2127z. Pure awesome. Otherwise an Ibby K7 or Apex.

Comment

My vote is for a Carvin. Every year I play them at NAMM they are so consistent in terms of quality and action. They don't feel cheap, plastic, or imported. The neck isn't too fat or thin. Great fretwork. And used can be a screaming deal.

Comment

I just spend all of last Saturday trying 7's and 8's at a couple of local shops. Jacksons, Ibanez and LTDs. The LTDs were far superior quality builds. I liked the SLATTXMG3-7 Soloist despite the smurf-hat headstock, but the frets were hanging off the edge of the neck! Same with every single Ibanez I played. You'd run your hand up the neck and you could feel the frets sticking out. Just unacceptable quality, even for $500 guitars. The lower end LTDs were way better than the mid priced Jackson and Ibanez axes. An LTD H-208 may very well be in my immediate future. :-)
                              THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

Working...
                              X