NGD: 1999 Ibanez andy Timmons AT-100 SB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD: 1999 Ibanez andy Timmons AT-100 SB

Here's my new baby, a brand new, mint, unplayed 1999 Ibanez Andy Timmons AT-100SB!
    This is one of the original run of about 170 pieces made by the Ibanez Custom Shop back in 1999, and it is similar, yet different, to the current AT-100CL reissue which I think came out in 2009.

Well, let me start by saying that this guitar is truly in NOS, unplayed condition. There are no signs that it was ever even strummed, not even the faintest pickguard scratch, and it even has the original set of - get this - factory fresh guitar strings!

Condition aside, it is truly a bomb of a guitar: great looks, lightweight, the most comfortable neck I've ever played on, perhaps with the exception of a couple of original Charvel San Dimas, and it sounds absolutely superb, clean and with gain, and with great acoustic resonance.

I had been looking for a while for this guitar, and while I did find a couple of original ones in decent shape, when the opportunity came to buy basically a brand new AT-100 from 1999 I just couldn't pass it.

In my opinion the original AT-100 is the best signature guitar Ibanez ever made, and I've had quite a few of their high end signature models, original Jems, Universes etc.
    What's also cool is that unless you really know it's a signature model, there are no cheesy name inlays or obvious features, it just looks like a stripped down, performance rock machine with very traditional looks.

Perhaps its best features are the tone, which is incredibly resonant and responsive, for lack of better words, and the neck, a very soft V shape, with heavily rolled fingerboard edges, unfinished, with immaculate fretwork, that feels like the best ever 50s Strat neck.

I took some pics for your viewing pleasure, the color came out wrong, in person it looks more like a true 50s two-tone burst, very classy:

Congrats! Cool guitar.

Comment

I'm not a fan of Ibanez usually but that's very cool. Surprised no edge trem.

Comment

Congrats! I remember seeing those but never played one. How well does the trem stay in tune?
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
          Congrats! I remember seeing those but never played one. How well does the trem stay in tune?
          Sure if you don't use it

Sorry, it's a fine looking axe, but a little too similar to a Strat for me. Kind of takes away from the "Ibbiness" of it.

Comment

Congrats, that looks nice! Andy Timmons is a monster player too. I saw him jam at NAMM with Paul Gilbert a few years back and he was announcing that Ibanez was making the AT-100 once again. So now are you going to do a Beatles instrumental medley on it like Andy?
            Rudy
            www.metalinc.net

Comment

Crank out some Groove or Die on that bad boy
              Jackson KV2
              Jackson KE1T
              Jackson KE1F
              Jackson SL1

Comment

Nice fiddle! I would want to put on a 3 ply pickguard, but thats just a personal preference.
                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Thanks guys, I'm really bonding with this guitar, it plays very differently from the typical Ibby super shredders, the neck has a very soft V shape and very pronounced rolled edges, possibly even more than, say, a MIJ Pro Mod, and I set it up with medium action, it sort of feels and sounds better this way, it fights a bit more but the resonance is amazing.

The Wilkinson tremolo in my opinion sounds great, the bent steel saddles and steel block really help for that glassy, bell tone I like. In terms of staying in tune, well, everything is optimized to make it stay in tune: the Sperzel locking tuners certainly help, the nut is properly cut and the bridge is anchored only by 4 screws, which should help it return to pitch. Still, anything more than some mild wiggling will put it out of tune, and you need to yank it again to bring it back to pitch.

And I hear what you say about the pickguard. It does look cheap, and probably a 3-ply would look better, but this is meant to be a modern interpretation of a 50s Strat, hence the 2-tone sunburst and the single ply guard.

This said, I will play no Beatles on this thing. Call me heretic, but if there are 2 bands I deeply dislike in the r'n'r stardom world, these are Led Zep and the Beatles. i just can't stand either, for different reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by surfreak View Post
                    This said, I will play no Beatles on this thing. Call me heretic, but if there are 2 bands I deeply dislike in the r'n'r stardom world, these are Led Zep and the Beatles. i just can't stand either, for different reasons.

I won't say I can't stand them, they just bore me

Comment

Originally posted by surfreak View Post
                      If you see what Andy Timmons does with those Beatles songs its just brilliant IMHO regardless of whether you like the original version or not. Its all instrumental and he caprtures subtle nuances brilliantly all the way through!
                      Rudy
                      www.metalinc.net

Comment

yeah it was me, you got a problem with that?

Comment

Working...
                        X