Emergency prs question!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency prs question!!

I ran across a PRS CU22. Blue flametop, the back is a walnut color, birds, tremelo bridge, volume, tone, 3 way toggle.
    Front of headstock has Paul Reed Smith signature in gold on it. Back of the headstock has written in gold sharpie...

2 15802

The guitar has gold grover tuners on it and the guy is telling me its a PRS CU22. Black humbuckers and cream trim rings.

I wouldn't be worried about it except for the price he is asking. Its stupid cheap.

Let me know. I am thinking its an SE or some other PRS import but I have never seen one that had the handwritten gold serial number and none of the typical SE import type stuff on it.

I hear PRS's are like Gibsons anymore, so many counterfeits it is hard to actually know if you are getting had till you get it home and tear into it. I recommend doing some research unless it is so cheap it doesn't matter. Good luck with the purchase!

Post some pics if possible, that would help alot.
    I like black and white guitars

Comment

Does it look like this?

This one is not mine, but I have a 2002 with a 2 serial number written like this one.
      It's legit because I bought from a reputable dealer back in 02.

Also:
      Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

John,

If you email the SN to PRS, they will tell you what it is and they're pretty fast.

Comment

Try emailing PRS support/customer services. I can't remember the email address, but I know I found it on the prs site somewhere. I asked them about the specs of a CU24 that I picked up based on serial number, and they got back to me very quickly. FWIW the serial number on mine is also in something like gold sharpie.
          My other signature says something funny

Comment

It has a 2 on back of the headstock with a space and then the 15802. Its not written in. Its block numbers. It looks just like this on the back. This one is a 1992 and its only a few numbers off in serial number. It has the Grover tuners too.

Comment

I don't have time to contact PRS and wait for a response. I need to meet the guy in a few hours.

Let me know. JG

Comment

I have not seen a PRS with grovers or with block letter SN, usually it is written free-hand in gold paint pen.
                GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
                  I have not seen a PRS with grovers or with block letter SN, usually it is written free-hand in gold paint pen.
                  Me either. That picture looks a bit suspicious.

Comment

The picture that I posted is one I found online from somebody else. They called PRS and were told the guitar is a 1992 and totally legit. The one that I found is only 3 serial numbers away from that one. Do you think his was a fake? I have never seen a PRS that didn't have a hand written serial number and I have owned about 6 of them.

Comment

PRS knows their guitars. if they said that was legit, then they would know. the earliest PRS I have owned was a 1988. the SN was hand-written and it had the Schaller made phase 1 locking tuners.
                      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

Comment

Its a fake. I called the guy out on it. He now has it listed as a NON USA made guitar. He is still listing it as a PRS though. You really have to be careful out there!

Comment

good job!!
                          GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                            Its a fake. I called the guy out on it. He now has it listed as a NON USA made guitar. He is still listing it as a PRS though. You really have to be careful out there!
                            I don't know my PRS specs very well and I've never owned a PRS. Just looking at those pics of the back of the headstocks, I can see the difference in the tuner layout and the serial # font. Curious, what else did you see when you checked it out in person that you were able to ID it as a fake? Was it that obvious based on the quality of the build? Curious, for my own knowledge, what to look for to help ID real from fake. Thanks.

Comment

Good job on catching the fake, you definitely have to be careful nowadays. One thing I have noticed is the lack of counterfeit Jacksons. I have seen a few that have a "made in USA" waterslide on an import but never any actual counterfeit Jacksons and I have been through roughly 30 or so over the years. Just curious why that is and does anyone have any stories on being had by a "Fake Jackson"???
                              I like black and white guitars

Comment

Working...
                              X