No announcement yet.

Philosophical Gibson LP Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, jgcable that I agreed on something from start to finish! The apocalypse must be coming soon!! Seriously though bro, I think you made the right and logical decision. Enjoy her. I'm sure she'll give you years of service (and won't get mad when you grab a different one).
    In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

Originally posted by CowboyFromHell View Post
      Wow, jgcable that I agreed on something from start to finish! The apocalypse must be coming soon!! Seriously though bro, I think you made the right and logical decision. Enjoy her. I'm sure she'll give you years of service (and won't get mad when you grab a different one).
      Yea, you were right. The funny thing is that I used an early 80's Silverburst LP Custom for most of the studio work that I have done recently even though I always brought my normal player guitars. The LP always sounded better in the studio so thats what I used.

Comment

An early 80's Custom would have a 3 piece maple neck and ebony fretboard. That is something special. I have a 77 with those specs that I love. I got it just for the maple neck. It is PLAYED TO DEATH and barely has enough fret left, but has major mojo. Paint all worn off the back of the neck, etc.

Comment

I strung it up and put a comfortable strap on it last night and put it through the paces. I don't like it. Too heavy, no upper fret access and I don't like the low profile frets. Sounds fantastic though.
          I won't be playing this one and it would be a damn shame to take it to gigs and get it all mucked up and not even enjoy playing it.
          I will stick to my ESP EC1000 Deluxe for my LP needs. I love that guitar. 24 super jumbo frets, seymour duncans and light as a feather. Its a little to bling'd out but I don't look down when I play so it doesn't matter.

Comment

Big frets are a WIN to me. My 77 Custom is 10lbs 14oz. Sounds great but I'll tote around my 7lb 1oz historic instead.

Comment

So at this point, I would be getting excited. Because I would be selling or trading the LP which means.....NGD SOON!....but that's just me
              -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

How heavy are we talking about here? One of my Les Pauls is 12.5 lbs. Now thats a heavy LP! But I have played it live My other LP's are much lighter than that. I don't mind my LP's having a bit of weight to them but I understand thats not for everyone.
                Rudy
                www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                  How heavy are we talking about here? One of my Les Pauls is 12.5 lbs. Now thats a heavy LP! But I have played it live My other LP's are much lighter than that. I don't mind my LP's having a bit of weight to them but I understand thats not for everyone.
                  it weights 9.8lbs. Thats entirely too heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                    That's actually not too bad for me, in fact just about right. Most of my Les Paul Customs are in the 9.25 to 10 lb range. For a Standard, yeah it's on the heavy side but nothing I couldnt sling on my shoulder for a whole set
                    Rudy
                    www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                      pussy lol. If a hundred pound Randy Rhoads could sling a heavy LPC a big burly man like yourself should too
                      shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
                        pussy lol. If a hundred pound Randy Rhoads could sling a heavy LPC a big burly man like yourself should too
                        Thats usually what I post on MyLesPaul forum
                        Rudy
                        www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                          Thats usually what I post on MyLesPaul forum
                          yep...I have seen you post that and it is true

John, I know you gave it a shot for a bit but I'd like to see if you try it for a week and your complaints can be overcome. I was never a LP guy, I really didn't care for them, played a singers LPC a couple of times but never really cared for them nor ever wanted one eve thought one of my main influences used one (RR). Fast forward 25 years of so and never owning a LP I bought my LP in March of 2012 on a whim, didn't even play it before I bought it. I loved the 50's neck profile but it took a while finding the proper height to where my pick hand attacked where I wanted it to and I could actually see the fretboard if I wanted to and upper fret access. I found I had to sling the LP just a little lower than my strats and super strats. The bodies are thicker than strats so that was a bit odd. It was a 12 Trad + and weighs 9.6lbs than doesn't bug me. I played the LP 98% of the time and grew to love it....so much that I bought a 57 RI 3PU Black Beauty Custom (10lbs 7 oz) this March. In my case I liked them so much I don't know why it took me so long to get it. Yes, they are not for everyone but if I would have put the trad + down after a day and been done with LP's and missed out on everything I grew to love about them and would hate for a forum bud to miss out on that If you end up not caring for it its all good, sell it and get something you really like. I know one thing, more are gonna make there way to my flock and some of my SS's are gonna leave the coup
                          shawnlutz.com

Comment

I saw your Black Beauty on both forums before Shawn, very nice! I've always liked LP's although Jacksons are still my favorites. The last couple years I've been taking at least one LPC to play at gigs along with my Jacksons. I much prefer the Customs to Standards but own both. Rhoads can't be wrong, Jacksons and LPs
                            Rudy
                            www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
                              Thats true and the truth hurts!

Comment

It is true, but it doesn't hurt me to hear that. Thankfully, I have a good back and still holding up pretty good for 39 years old, but at the same time I find no joy in slinging a boat anchor around my neck when there are non-boat-anchors that can play & sound just as good. I'm not a guitar playing masochist for crying out loud. I play to have fun and enjoy myself.

Comment

Working...
                                X