ESP no more?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESP no more?

So my rep for So & So Guitars told me today that ESP is going bankrupt.

Any ideas?
    "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Hum hadn't heard that.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I heard the ESP name will only be used on custom shop guitars. All current production guitars will change to "E2" branding or something similar and I believe LTD will remain the same. This was a few months ago, possibly around NAMM timeframe. But my memory is no steel trap.
      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

You're on the right track, somewhat.

ESP will be custom shop only, and the Japanese production line is called LTD Elite.

But not at all what I'm talking about. I'm talking ESP/LTD is apparently broke and about to die, according to said rep.
        "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

I'd heard ESP were really restricting access to custom shop orders by skyrocketing the prices, and obviously they want to push the LTD Elite stuff but hadn't heard anything about bankruptcy. Don't they own Musicians' Institute?
          Popular is not the same as good
          Rare is not the same as valuable
          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

hmm, that's news!! and neilli, yes, they own MI.
            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Well, going bankrupt doesn't mean going out of business. They may be having financial issues, but I would think they are too big to fail (where have I heard that before? )

Comment

My thoughts exactly. I mean, they have Metallica on the roster, how can they NOT prosper?

I see more LTDs on stages than anything else. I've owned a few myself. I've always appreciated ESP guitars for their amazing quality. It would be terrible to see them go under.

If Gibson bought them out, and LTD made Les Pauls, similar to Charvel using Strat heads now, I can see LTD giving Epiphone a good challenge.

Comment

I've just asked someone in the business and he made some calls and apparently from what he's hearing back, this story is bollocks.

Comment

Well that's good news. I wouldn't have come here for any ordinary rumor had it not have come from my Gibson rep.

Comment

Apparently, ESP are changing a lot of things with the Japanese line (partly due to high demand) so that might be the source of the rumour. Plus Gibson are probably still pissed at the Les Paul knockoffs they do, even with the stupid 3 control arrangement LOL

Comment

This was announced months ago. As far as I know they're not going bankrupt. They used to allow minor changes to standard production and artist ESP models, and minor changes to the higher end LTD line. They're ceased doing "Custom Select" type orders because they felt that they were watering down the brand name (Jackson would do well to realize this with all the import crap). All the previous ESP Standard and Signature guitars will be receiving the LTD Elite moniker. They want the ESP label to be top-tier high end.
                        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

From the ESP board, dated Jan 2013:

Originally posted by TheSixthWheel
                          This information comes from Shane @ Bmusic, one of the more reliable sources of ESP information:

- 16 core "ESP Standard" models will remain remaining in the market as "ESP Standard series" (but with a new ESP logo different from current original ESP logo) for one year, within 2013.

- All "Standard Signature models" will be discontinued. Signature models will be available only from "Custom Shop" as "Custom Shop Signature Models".

- Only "Custom shop models", "Original Series" and "Custom Orders" will have the original ESP logo from 2013.

And the plans for 2014 -

- ESP will introduce a new brand name "E-II Standard" to replace current ESP Standard Series. "E-II Standard" will use the same specifications as current ESP Standards; just the logos would be switched over from ESP.

So by him listing '16 core "ESP Standard" models', he's meaning the 10 models Nick @ The Axe Palace mentioned, in the finish options listed, meaning there's 16 finish options across only 10 models.

Taken from page 3 of this thread: http://guitarsatbmusic.com.au/forum/...hp?f=2&t=14614
                          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

The reason for dropping the Standard Series:

ESP Japan has much pride in the ESP brand and label. They want them to be known as the absolute best of the best. My understanding is that the Standard Series were intended for the Export market only (meaning not in Japan) and they are nice guitars indeed, but not to the level of their Custom Shop guitars. The problem is that the Standard Series guitars were making their way back to Japan and competing with the Custom Shop guitars while having a lower price point. It was creating confusion in the marketplace and frustration for ESP dealers in Japan. ESP is concerned about the Japan market first and foremost, so the ESP Standard Series will soon be history. However, the guitars will still be available under the newly created "E-II" brand.

LTD Elite is something separate with different guitars from the Standard Series (soon to be E-II) line.
                            Last edited by Chad; 06-20-2013, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Interesting. They did it to themselves though, by creating a (very successful) line with a similar name to their 'premium' brand and then putting ESP stickers on the back. You can't create a Private Stock vibe for your product when you're selling $500 chinese (or wherever cheap LTDs are made) with your logo on them..

Comment

Working...
                              X