No announcement yet.

ESP no more?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In my opinion, they have done a great job with the LTD brand. It's clear that it's a branch of ESP, but isn't actually a real deal ESP. Plus, it's a cool name IMO. With that said, I'm don't see why the LTD Elite brand was necessary. E-II was enough.

ESP is the brand that WAS really convoluted. There were so many levels that it was ridiculous. They were running 3 or 4 different custom shops in Japan, had the Standard series, and were doing both Standard Series and Custom Shop versions of signature models. BTW, It is my understanding that they have consolidated all custom shop builds under one roof.

I don't care for the "E-II" name. Very lame. But I'm sure the guitars will still be solid.

Here is my take on the hierarchy from lowest to highest quality:

LTD-> LTD Elite -> E-II -> Custom Shop/Original Series/Navigator. I'm not really sure where Edwards falls anymore.

Comment

Maybe they could just sell to Lynch, Hetfield, and Hammett.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
        I don't care for the "E-II" name. Very lame. But I'm sure the guitars will still be solid.
        I think Telekinesis was too long to fit on the head stocks....
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

ESP is the brand that WAS really convoluted. There were so many levels that it was ridiculous. They were running 3 or 4 different custom shops in Japan, had the Standard series, and were doing both Standard Series and Custom Shop versions of signature models. BTW, It is my understanding that they have consolidated all custom shop builds under one roof.
          Well, not as convoluted as Jackson. Most ESP aficionados know about the different custom shops which has never been a problem. It never really mattered which shop you were getting a custom from, they're all high end shops. I find it hard to believe that they're consolidating them though. All of their "custom shops" with the exception of the shop that produces most of the export-only ESP Custom and Signature Series are retail locations. But yeah, having American-destined imports reintroduced there would screw their true customs.

It's not like you can buy a bargain bin factory logo'd ESP for $100 and a custom for $8000. You can with Jackson.
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I've been told that Edwards was always a tiny bit above LTD. Whether that makes them on par with LTD Elite or below LTD Elite, (but above LTD) I have no idea.

In my opinion, they have done a great job with the LTD brand. It's clear that it's a branch of ESP, but isn't actually a real deal ESP. Plus, it's a cool name IMO. With that said, I'm don't see why the LTD Elite brand was necessary. E-II was enough.

LTD-> LTD Elite -> E-II -> Custom Shop/Original Series/Navigator. I'm not really sure where Edwards falls anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
              Well, not as convoluted as Jackson. Most ESP aficionados know about the different custom shops which has never been a problem. It never really mattered which shop you were getting a custom from, they're all high end shops. I find it hard to believe that they're consolidating them though. All of their "custom shops" with the exception of the shop that produces most of the export-only ESP Custom and Signature Series are retail locations. But yeah, having American-destined imports reintroduced there would screw their true customs.

It's not like you can buy a bargain bin factory logo'd ESP for $100 and a custom for $8000. You can with Jackson.
              True that. I'm a Jackson fan but can hardly make sense of the current lines. I mainly just keep my interest focused on the USA line.

Comment

And that for me is the key - for me Jackson is all about the USA stuff, and that's easy to figure out.
                Popular is not the same as good
                Rare is not the same as valuable
                Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by MetalHeadMat View Post
                  I've been told that Edwards was always a tiny bit above LTD. Whether that makes them on par with LTD Elite or below LTD Elite, (but above LTD) I have no idea.
                  I recall reading that Edwards was a tiny bit above or on the same level as LTD, and the lowest level was GrassRoots. I'm not even sure if they make the GrassRoots line any more.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yes they are! But I found this while searching for GrassRoots on Wikipedia: Grass Roots guitars are aimed at the low cost market, and can be considered as superior to the LTD guitars, but not the 400 series, The Edwards Series or Navigator Series.

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                    I recall reading that Edwards was a tiny bit above or on the same level as LTD, and the lowest level was GrassRoots. I'm not even sure if they make the GrassRoots line any more.

Comment

I had figured that Edwards was at the E-II level, but for domestic market only.
                      Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalHeadMat View Post
                        Yes they are! But I found this while searching for GrassRoots on Wikipedia: Grass Roots guitars are aimed at the low cost market, and can be considered as superior to the LTD guitars, but not the 400 series, The Edwards Series or Navigator Series.
                        Interesting. I remember buying some British guitar mag in the mid '90s and seeing some of the Grass Roots models. From what I remember reading on some forums over the years, most people think they suck until they get hardware and pickup swaps but still weren't as good as the lowest LTD line.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                          They want the ESP label to be top-tier high end.
                          This right here. They want the ESP brand to be more elusive, exclusive, and expensive.

So they're thinning down what they put that name on to try to make ESP as a brand more valuable; like a Japanese Gibson in terms of the value of a brand name

Besides, isn't the same guy who owns it also the same guy who owns Schecter?

Comment

If I remember correctly, Edwards is their Japanese market mid line, Navigator is their high end vintage line.

Yeah, the guy who owns ESP owns Schecter, but they're independent companies.
                            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
                            X