To Strat or not to Strat ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
    There are very few fender strats that a like. I usually prefer flatter fretboards than fender offers. I really liked the older American standard strats w the satin necks roller nut and lace sensors. I like strat tones for something's but playability just not up to par with more shredder type guitars.
    Find an old 3tite C/J.
    Fender offer a number of models with flatter fretboards. If you want something cheaper, the Deluxe Player series (MIM) have a 12" radius & medium jumbo frets & can be found for peanuts secondhand. Not quite a J/C compound board, but playability is reminiscent (to me anyway) of the Model series Charvels.

My USA Deluxe V-neck has a 12" fretboard, medium jumbo frets & N3 noiseless pickups. The bridge pickup is bright but not brittle or ice-picky. Never thought I'd go for a boatneck guitar but this thing is very comfortable & very playable. And it can do tones that my Jacksons can't. Instead of using a coil split Jackson on some songs, the Strat is much better suited.
    Hail yesterday

Comment

everyone should own at least one strat as the tones can't be achieved any other way...saving for a classic players 60s strat myself...d.m.
      http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

I have all kinds of strats, here are a couple of Fenders... though I don't particularly care what brand... ESP, Fender, Jackson, Charvel, etc...

The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

The koa one makes me visibly moist.
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

The Fender Sonic Boom promotion is only $100 off USA guitars, and $50 off Mexicans. We flip used Americans all day long for $750 with case. I'd say go used. And get one with a humbucker, they're nasty.
            "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

My first guitar was a Strat copy with a horrible laquered maple board, then I played Les Pauls, then switched to non recessed trems with the same neck angle and bridge height. Then I got a MIM Strat (9.5" rosewood radius).

If you love the bounce of valve amps near clean or with a little gain get a MIM and put some SSL1's or Texas Specials in there.

I picked up a '62 jap necked mutt the other day with a 7.25" radius and I can't put it down, also got a soft V neck (Aka 50's RI) and love it too. The V is surprisely comfy and actually has slimmer shoulders than many C or fatter D necks about and the V bit fits comfortably into your palm.

Also relic the fuck out of it. I love my bare maple Charvel necks, but no one ever gives any thought to the guitar body paint sticking to your forearm. With a relic down to bare wood your right hand frees up too.

I can't put my Strat down these days, it's 4 dimensional, even compared to my Charvels, so involved and so easy to play and make music on.
              You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

hahaha, these 2 take care of all my strat neads.

Comment

Here's some straty goodness. Hang in to the end he gets to all the pup selections

Comment

Damn, we got a 24 hours black-out (we had some severe thunder storms here) and now there is a ton of replies to my thread! Thanks for all the comments everyone. Now, I'm more confused than ever. :think:

And Greg Koch would make anything sound good... Monster player!
                    JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                    Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Just search your local consignment shops... it's not hard to find a used USA Strat. Play it and see what it does for you. I think they're really decent guitars, some of them outstanding...
                      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                        Fender offer a number of models with flatter fretboards. If you want something cheaper, the Deluxe Player series (MIM) have a 12" radius & medium jumbo frets & can be found for peanuts secondhand. Not quite a J/C compound board, but playability is reminiscent (to me anyway) of the Model series Charvels.
                        The Deluxe Player Strat I had was great, and I loved the 12" radius. I traded that guitar off, but I probably should have put that neck on my USA Double Fat Strat that I love the sound of but I'm not too fond of the 9.5" radius.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks for all. Started to search the local ads. Some folks out there are on crack and asking almost same price as new for some old beaten crap. Saw one that was an awesome deal but can't reach the seller either by email or phone

We'll keep ya posted.
                          JB aka BenoA

Comment

One of my 2 main guitars live is a Fender Eric Clapton Signature model. It has Fender Vintage Noiseless single coils in it. I use it for anything from Cream to Ratt to Dokken to AC/DC to Ted Nugent to Alice in Chains with no problem.

Comment

Sorry to bump this thread up but...
                              ... Resistance was futile! I ordered a MIJ FSR Stat 72 in vintage white. Store I got it from had only 2 left. As it's a limited run, I had to took the plunge if I wanted one. Once I get it I'll try to make a quick review.
                              JB aka BenoA

Comment

I have a 1976 Re-Issue Fender strat that I like. It has a really twangy tone and I use it mainly for clean recording. It is a noisy S.O.B when it's distorted and really loud but it has a really classic kind of tone and vibe that has it's uses and like a couple of guys on here said I think everyone should have at least one strat. Also the new ones with the "Channel bound" Fret board look and play very well. Granted I played my friends and it's a righty but it was a quality guitar.
                                This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Working...
                                X