Fender Eric Clapton Stratocaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Eric Clapton Stratocaster

I have never been into Fender guitars, so I do not have the knowledge of all of their various models and series.
    I have the opportunity to buy an Eric Clapton Stratocaster. I found it on Craigslist, I will have the chance to see it in person.

I know how to play and check necks and etc. I don't need help with that stuff. But what I do need help with is more unit specific:
    Is there anything I should be looking for to distinguish between real or fake. how can I tell if this is an artist series or signature model or cheap chinese import sold at wal mart or anyting in between. I doubt it, but it could even be just a regular strat that someone says 'eric clapton model' because he saw a picture of eric playing one. I have google'd this, and it really doesn't say anything specific for identification.
    I have seen some pictures with a signature in the headstock and some without. But nothing says which ones do and which do not.

I just don't want to overpay.

A real Clapton will have his signature on the headstock and a decal "Blackie" underneath it. Either--or both--could be faked I guess.
    I'm no authority on this model, but look for a blocked trem--which could have been undone if the owner liked to use the trem, and
    I think it's got some kind of boost circuit in it--harder to fake, but not impossible. I expect some other guys will chip in with more
    info. Good luck with it!

Comment

Some good info here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Clapton_Stratocaster
      METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Jacksonaxes, I have been to wiki and others already. Nothing is really clears anything up, that is why I thought to ask.
        Lefty, thank you. But what if it is not the Blackie model? What if it is the Brownie, or one of the other variations. These are things that the Wiki page, and anything else I have found, do not describe well.

But I appreciate your responses.

Comment

I have a white one. Has his signiture on headstock. That one dosent look right. The pick guard etc

Comment

I have a 2001 in Olympic white. It should have his signature on the head stock. Only the black ones say Blackie on them. Prior to 2001 it will have Fender lace sensors, after.. Fender Vintage noiseless, trem is blocked from the factory, tbx circuit, onboard preamp, battery in trem cavity. That pickguard is wrong. I bet the guitar is wrong.

Comment

Well, I nave been playing this guitar almost exclusively live for almost 2 months now. Its amazing how many fellow guitar players come up to me and ask what kind of pickups are in it because it sounds so amazing for anything from The Black Crowes to AC/DC to RATT and Ozzy. When I tell them that its bone stock and the pickups are vintage noiseless single coils they are blown away. I am playing it through a Mesa Boogie Single rectifier head and a Peavey 5150 4 x 12 cab both bone stock. The only effects I use is a delay in the loop and a wah out in front. Anyway..... that's not why I am updating this thread. I am updating because I can't stand the vintage style frets on this guitar. They are tiny, hard to get under, I feel way too much wood and frankly the guitar is just too hard to bend the high E string on. I have tried different brands and gauges. Its the vintage fret thing. All my other guitars have either 6100's or 6105's on them. I don't want to modify it because it will kill the resale or trade bait value. I am looking to trade it for something that is more my style. I can see why players love these guitars though. They are so versatile and the build quality is outstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                I am updating because I can't stand the vintage style frets on this guitar. They are tiny, hard to get under, I feel way too much wood and frankly the guitar is just too hard to bend the high E string on.
                That really bothers me too. Vintage frets feel like I'm fingering the fretboard way too much.
                The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Didn't the earlier non blackie Clapton's have the V profile necks?

Comment

AFAIK ALL Clapton sigs have the "soft V" profile....no??

Comment

Refret it with bigger stainless frets. Chances are that someone seeing the refret as a devalue might also see the stainless as an asset that would make up the difference since they'll last forever.

Or maybe you do a bigger stainless refret and love it enough to not sell it. Then its a moot point.
                      My Toys:
                      '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
                      '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
                      '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
                      '94 Dinky HX in Black
                      '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Working...
                      X