Educate me about Suhr guitars...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Educate me about Suhr guitars...

So Suhr guitars have been peaking my interest, lately. Gorgeous finishes, great reputation, supposedly killer players and tone. Given their high pricing, though, I'm not ready to take the plunge without trying one out for a while. Maybe I'll pick up a used Pro Series as a "test drive", if I can find one on the cheap.

But I honestly don't know a whole lot about them, except word of mouth. And there are no Suhr dealers near me to try them out. Hoping there are some knowledgable Suhr fans here to help me better understand...

I dig the looks of the Pro Series, especially the Standards. Are these customizable at all, though? Or just totally stock production guitars (no options, except finish)? For instance, I'm not a fan of basswood bodies. Could I get a Pro - say an S4 or S6 - in alder or ash?

Also not a fan of the Gotoh Floyd, which i know Suhr switched to using. I'm sure it's a solid unit, but I just (strongly) prefer an Original Floyd. Will Suhr still build a custom order with an OFR, if the customer specs it this way? Alternatively, is an OFR a drop-in replacement for the Gotoh? Has anyone tried/done this?

Has anyone tried the baked maple neck option? This sounds really cool, just not sure the reality lives up to the hype?

Is Suhr's reputation for build quality and consistency really the case? I don't want the standard "fanboy" response - give me the reality from folks who have experience with Suhr AND other top notch "custom" brands, please.

Also, any Suhr owners feel free to post pics here so I can drool over your guitars. LOL

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by shreddermon; 08-07-2013, 05:56 PM.

P.S. - meant to also ask, are the necks on the Pro Series oiled? Is this Suhr's standard neck finish? If not, what is? (Satin, gloss, what?)

Comment

Haven't played one, but I can't recall seeing a bad review from anyone in the last few years. I know Matt sells a lot of them and posts about build spots being available from time to time. He'd be a good resource for figuring out what the options are and he always seems willing to answer questions quickly.

Comment

Matt's the best, been dealing with him for years. Didn't want to bug him, though, until i've had a chance to live with one (used) for a while and i've decided I'm more serious about an actual order.

Comment

I'm a Suhr dealer, so I'll spare you my subjective opinions, but I can shed some light on a few things for you.

The current Pro Series line up is not customizable at all, beyond finish, fingerboard, pickup and bridge choices (some models). They are all built to a production schedule now, so the specs are what they are. They used to be more flexible, so you'll probably find guitars in-stock at various dealers or used models that have different specs. They aren't doing the S4 and S6 model names anymore. The Standard-Pro is essentially an S3/S4 and is H-S-S, Gotoh 510, flame maple on basswood, choice of rosewood or maple fingerboards, SS frets and pearloid pickguard. The Modern Pro gives two p/up config options (H-H and H-S-H) and a Gotoh FR or 510 bridge. Fingerboards are maple or pau ferro.

You might dig the Modern Satin. Mahogany body and neck, H-S-H or H-H, OFR or Gotoh 510. We have an H-H OFR in stock that weighs about 7 pounds even and absolutely screams. They are all finished in a super thin satin finish that is UV cured and super hard. Feels like raw wood, as do all of the satin finished necks on all the Pro Series.

I believe the Gotoh and OFR can be used interchangeably, but let me check. I'll find out and confirm here on that and the other question about installing an OFR on request.

I like the baked maple a lot, but it's not going to make or break a spec.
          Chief Guitar Geek at George's Music Center
          www.georgesmusiccenter.com/theguitarstash
          [email protected]

Comment

Seems like we're on the same page Pat!! I just bought a Reb Beach and I have to say I'm really impressed - sure, with the oiled body and Pau Ferro neck, it's not easy to directly compare to anything much else out there, but this thing feels and sounds fucking awesome. I will say that I am still in 'honeymoon period' right now though, so give me a few weeks for a more reasoned review.

For what it's worth, by way some sort of equivilent I ordered a Tom Anderson a year or so ago, and that is still a fucking incredible guitar. Feels great and sustains like no other bolt-on I've played. They're not the 'in thing' at the moment, but if you're looking at some fairly basic specs you can get an Anderson at a price that I think is incredible bang-for-buck.
            Popular is not the same as good
            Rare is not the same as valuable
            Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
              Also not a fan of the Gotoh Floyd, which i know Suhr switched to using. I'm sure it's a solid unit, but I just (strongly) prefer an Original Floyd.
              OFR should be a drop in replacement, depending on how tight the route is done. I've upgraded all of my OFR guitars to the Gotoh. It's far superior in every respect.

If you want to know more about the Gotoh, I've done a review and comparison here:
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Killer burst, thank you for the specs and other background. That's helpful.

Neilli, I've definitely checked out the TAs, too. Your's is very cool. I think I need to focus on no more than 2 or 3 brands at once, though. My feeble mind can't take that much GAS at once. LOL

Xeno, I did read your Gotoh review before. Very informative. I'm sure it's a cool unit. But I'm a diehard OFR user. And with guitar gear, it's all about personal preferences, though. The Gotoh isn't a fatal choice spec for me. But I'd actually pay extra to swap it out to an OFR. Assuming that's possible.

Comment

For what its worth.. I have a Namm show Modern and a Pro series S6 (I was lucky to get one with a mother of pearl scratchplate and a crazy quilt top, when they were allowing small upgrades on the pro series models)

Both never go out of tune.. zero problem guitars that play too easy. Cant say enough about them.

BTW - Just picked up a GJ2 guitar by Grover Jackson.. which also plays like a dream. So at the moment I`m in the honeymoon period, but I`m sure I`ll always go back to my Suhrs.
                  www.vendetta-theband.com
                  www.atomhawk.com

Comment

Have you tried looking on craigslist? You don't need to buy it...just try it out. Easiest that way if someone's selling.
                    Sam

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                      Xeno, I did read your Gotoh review before. Very informative. I'm sure it's a cool unit. But I'm a diehard OFR user. And with guitar gear, it's all about personal preferences, though. The Gotoh isn't a fatal choice spec for me. But I'd actually pay extra to swap it out to an OFR. Assuming that's possible.
                      If you decide to order one, I'll trade you a new OFR for it. Just PM me with your address and I'll send it out to you and you can send me the Gotoh at your leisure. I have two or three sitting in my parts bin. The OFR from my CS ESP or CS Charvel both look brand new.
                      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Played an 80's shred at my regular guitar shop and was blown away with it. I'm sure the Soldano SLO I was playing it through had something to do with it. It played great, made want one but I can't afford too.
                        I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Thanks, Xeno. I'll keep the offer in mind.

Comment

Gotoh trems on Customs. Floyds on the modern satin.
                            Chief Guitar Geek at George's Music Center
                            www.georgesmusiccenter.com/theguitarstash
                            [email protected]

Comment

When it comes to Suhr, believe the hype - they are amazing.

Some Suhr dealers get special runs of the Pro series with slightly different specs (my dealer has a S3 with a magenta quilt).

Good point form neilli - Andersons are also brilliant. I would definitely recommend trying one of those before getting a Suhr.

Comment

Working...
                              X