Almost bought a JEM today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost bought a JEM today

I was doing my typical pawn shop run today and was having no luck. So when I went into one of my last stops, I looked up on the wall and saw an Ibanez JEM. I normally ignore that brand completely because I think they're generally cheap junk. But I took a closer look; vine inlays, monkey grip, mirror pickguard, scalloped in the higher register. It was a Steve Vai model. I asked the price and they said it was marked down to $599.00. I know that it retails new for over $2000.00.

So I asked to see it. There was fret buzz everywhere because the action was set way too low. So I asked if they had an allen wrench so I could raise the bridge slightly. They did, but the head of the post on the bass side was stripped. So I'm still interested and asked if I could hook it up. All the electronics were fine. It was also missing the B-string fine tuner.

To make a long story short, I pointed out the flaws to the salesman and he agreed. I told him that the buzz was probably just the action, but that they would need to come down on the price for me to be a taker. There's also no case. That's not a deal breaker for me, but combined with everything else..... They wouldn't budge so I walked.

Did I make a mistake? I normally despise Ibanez, but this is their flagship model. I may ask if I can raise the bridge by using a vice grip on the post. If that works, maybe I'll grab it, replace the post, and sell it at a $500.00 profit.

What do you think?

It's this model:

Did I screw up in not getting it?
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

If memory serves, they made a cheap version. The good ones were the neon colors.

Comment

Not an Ibanez expert but don't remember them doing that model in an affordable model
      It's pronounced soops

Comment

Originally posted by 84sups View Post
        Not an Ibanez expert but don't remember them doing that model in an affordable model
        Me, either. I thought that the vine inlays signified the top end Steve Vai model.

Comment

the bluish green one is made in Indonesia fyi. there are some low end ones around now.

Comment

In researching this tonight, it also seems that there are tons of fakes around. So, I guess I'll pass.

Comment

Odds are 10 to 1 it was a Chibanez.
              Last edited by Matt_B; 12-08-2013, 07:19 AM.

Comment

I have 2 Ibeenhad's. One is a 1990 RG550 in black on black, and the other is a USA Custom with the Chop Shop graphic, and is a H-H config instead of HSS or HSH. Both are OUTSTANDING guitars and easily keep up with everything else. Of course these are the cream of the crop of Ibanez pickings, but good ones are out there.

My only gripe with Ibanez guitars in general is just that they are mainly seen as a "guitar virtuoso" axe and not often used as a serious metal machine. Other than that I have no problem with them. Thin necks with jumbo frets always works for me.
                Last edited by DonP; 12-07-2013, 11:20 PM.

Comment

I have quite a few Ibanez guitars and they're all top notch gear but I must make mention that they're all Japanese made. What you're looking at is the Steve Vai Jem 7VBK. It's a $2700.00 dollar guitar if I remember correctly. It comes with DiMarzio Breed pick ups and a basswood body and an Edge Pro Bridge. It came out in 2007 and was in production until 2010. The 2010 model differs in one way than the other years. They changed the bridge to an Original Edge from the Edge Pro. I have a Vai Sig. Model but it's the Jem 7VWHL. It has an alder body and Evolution pick ups and the original Edge bridge. Make sure you look at the serial number of that guitar before you buy it. The only way that guitar should be selling for $600 bucks is if it's really really beat up or fake or the seller is a moron. If it's real the serial # will start with an "F." I am including a photo of a Jems Headstock and serial number. If it doesn't look like this it's fake. https://www.google.com/search?q=phot...2%3B1200%3B800
                  Last edited by leftykingv2; 12-08-2013, 03:06 AM.
                  This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

This is what the fake Ibanez Jem's that are made in China have on the back of the head stock. If it has this mark it's completely fake. Make sure it has the markings in the link from the above post otherwise you're just buying a piece of shit. http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/s...-REALLY-STUPID
                    Last edited by leftykingv2; 12-08-2013, 03:03 AM.
                    This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

If i understand correctly, the picture he posted is a web image, not a picture of the guitar.

The one we are looking at may be $2700, but the one he saw may be $27.

Comment

there were a pair of matching JEMs in my local pawnshop a few years ago. They were a little beat but no enough to warrant the very reasonable prices on them. Both fakes though. The giveaway? Both guitars had the same serial number
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                          If i understand correctly, the picture he posted is a web image, not a picture of the guitar.

The one we are looking at may be $2700, but the one he saw may be $27.
                          I know it's a web image but if the guitar he saw at the pawn shop today is that exact model in the image then everything I told him was correct. I have a large number of High end Ibanez guitars.

Comment

The JEM's are the most faked guitars on the market so do some serious research before you buy.
                            First thing to look for is the Lo Pro trs trems with the angled base plate=fake.
                            The monkey grip handles are another thing to look for some are cut right but most are not cut like the real deal.
                            Serial numbers as well a lot of the fakes have the same serial number.Some have the correct serial number ink stamp but are applied over the clear coat so if you can rub off the serial number you know its a fake.
                            White is the most popular color faked then black.
                            Last edited by straycat; 12-08-2013, 04:21 AM.
                            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Just to clarify...... yes, the above image is from a Google search, but that's the model it is. I even pointed out to them:

1. It's missing the B-string fine-tuning screw.
                              2. The bass-side trem post head is stripped and can't be turned.
                              3. Without being able to raise the bridge, the buzzing might be caused by a bigger problem and I won't know that.

They still said, "that's as low as we can go." ($599.00).

That's a general gripe I have with pawn shops. They know jack shit about guitars; all they can do is pull it up on E-Bay to get a price. They have no clue about how to look one over to check the condition.
                              Last edited by PowerTube; 12-08-2013, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X