Going back to Cali...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going back to Cali...

Just secured a deal on another Hamer USA Californian Limited Edition from '89. Just can't get enough of these amazing axes! I just sold one in iridescent but felt the need to replace it with another Cali LE in a finish that was more to my liking. IMO, Hamer's particular version of iridescent is like Holo-flash vomit. And what would be less offensive than iridescent? Why, "Barney Sparkle" purple metal flake, of course! Anyway, this one comes with factory EMG 81/SA. I already have a purple metal flake LE (same batch) I might take the more road worn of the two and do a full-on mod to it- new graphic paint, different p'ups, ditch the blade switch for a toggle, etc.

The old USA Hamer's were such under rated guitars in my opinion. At least where I live they were. I still have my old Hamer and it's damn near the same guitar you have pictured there minus the color and reverse head stock. I haven't broken it out in at least a year or so and I really should pay more attention to it and some of my older guitars because they're some of the best players in my collection. Anyway man that's a really great score! HNGD bro!
    This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

There are a few on here that know (and appreciate) what well-built guitars Hamers were, Lefty- Hamers were underrated because they suffered grievously from ineffective marketing IMO. That being said, their guitars were (and still are) some of the best made and playing axes out there.

Comment

When it comes I'd like for you to send me a bunch of pics, same as with the iridescent/holo-flash-vomit-orgy if you don't mind

Congrats on the NGD, looks gorgeous!

Comment

I still LOVE my diablo. pretty much everything about it is perfect. those cali's are awesome too. I remember the late 80s when my local guitar shop had those (and all USA hamer models) along with the peavey shredders....good times!! I couldn't afford ANY of them being a kid, so I got a Yamaha RGX211, which got the job done for a teenager.
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Coolness....congrats!!

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
              I still LOVE my diablo. pretty much everything about it is perfect. those cali's are awesome too. I remember the late 80s when my local guitar shop had those (and all USA hamer models) along with the peavey shredders....good times!! I couldn't afford ANY of them being a kid, so I got a Yamaha RGX211, which got the job done for a teenager.
              Yup. +1 Still have my Diablo and it is my 2nd fave of the Hamer shredders next to the Cali's. Truth is, whenever we go on vacay in the camper or up to the 'rent's lake house, I bring my Diablo. It's my go-to shredder when bringing the more expensive Cali is not appropriate.

Comment

Awesome! Always loved Hamers.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
                  There are a few on here that know (and appreciate) what well-built guitars Hamers were, Lefty- Hamers were underrated because they suffered grievously from ineffective marketing IMO. That being said, their guitars were (and still are) some of the best made and playing axes out there.
                  +1 I don't think they marketed themselves to the right crowd of players. I still think they make a great product. A friend of mine has a really nice newer Hamer. It's called a Hamer Korina Artist the top on it is gorgeous I'd say it's at least 4A or 5A grade maple top and it's a semi-hollow (I could be wrong on the top wood being maple). The Korina back makes it sound super heavy for a semi hollow and I know he paid about 3K for it because you can really hear and see the craftsmanship on the thing is top notch all the way around.
                  This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

I wonder how many people have popped onto E-bay and searched for Hamers after reading this and Toejam's thread about them? The price of them has risen accordingly...
                    So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Man, that Hamer is SICK!

Comment

I had a hamer usa chaparral w/sustainiac. I sold it before I moved to China. Something I totally regret…
                        Nice guitars, great find!
                        Gear https://images.imgbox.com/e4/00/IxQywXkV_o.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
                          But Hamer did market pretty aggressively in the 80s for a while. I think the 'Gibson-shaped'
                          models didn't sell because folks couldn't make the leap of not having a Gibson name on the
                          headstock. The original shaped ones, I guess, were too avant garde. I always loved Hamers--
                          still have 5 of them!

Comment

I'm no expert on Hamer's marketing tactics and it's shortcomings but I've heard a lot of discussions re: this issue. Yes, Hamer aggressively marketed in the 80's. A small number of high-profile endorsements along with some well-done print ads abounded.The end result is still that Hamer is no more. They became irrelevant despite high quality materials and impeccable build quality.

It's funny because I took several Hamers, along with a 4,000+ dollar Gibby custom, to a well-known local luthier who has quite a bit of build experience himself. One of the first things he noted was the "boutique" quality of the ebony boards and the maple necks on the Hamers. In stark contrast, he then noted the inferior quality of the rosewood board on the Gibby. He commented on the shitty Chinese-made toggle switch used in the Gibby.

I'm not here to slag Gibson, just to point out that despite high quality materials and superb build quality, Hamer was not able to compete, long-term with the monster that Gibson is. Shame really.

Ah well, all I know is: I snagged another Cali LE. That's my 4th to date.
                            Last edited by vector; 01-03-2014, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Love Hamers...congrats!

Comment

Working...
                              X