No announcement yet.

I Played a Gibson today....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, boy! (Holding on to seat waiting) Hello pandora.... can I open your box?
    "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

My 73 Custom Shop Les Paul is Satan
      H3LL IS HOME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
        Then my 77 Custom is God+1

Seriously, what is the deal with 1993? 1993 wasn't a significant year other than the release of the Historic Reissue models. Standards didn't change; Classics got dumbed down a little with "Model" replaced with "Classic" on the headstock and the ugly thick binding in the cutaway. But Henry was there since 1987, weight relief started in 1984, so I don't get the post 1993 hate. Please explain.
        This is just a personal thing. From 93 and on I started coming across more and more 2 to 4K dogs. Just horrible playing and sounding guitars. Guitars with obvious flaws slipping through their Q.C. It's just about my personal experiences with said company. 93 Is also the year a lot of people who were working for the company for many years decided to walk and go work for Heritage instead of dealing with Henry J. aka Darth Sidious.
        Last edited by leftykingv2; 01-07-2014, 03:30 AM.
        This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by mr426 View Post
          My 73 Custom Shop Les Paul is Satan
          No it's not. Satan plays a Jackson and everyone knows it!
          This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Very interesting to the extent that I had to check the SN on my ebony Standard. It's a '92 that I bought new for under $1K.

Comment

If you get you hands on the right Les Paul a lot of other guitars don't matter It took me about 30 years to have an interest in LP's and I bought a 2012 trad + out of the blue in 2012. I played that 98% of the time until March 2013 when I bought a B7 (3pu 57 RI LPC) and still playing LP's over 95% of the time. I still pickup my Jackson, GMW and self made mutts on occasion and still love them although I appears I made the change where LP's feel normal and my floyded super strats are foreign for a couple of minutes.
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by leftykingv2 View Post
                I personally wouldn't ever buy a weight relieved guitar especially not a Les Paul. If I was going to buy a Les Paul I would want a big fat heavy one like my 1976 Standard. It's almost 10 lbs. and it sounds like God.
                My swiss cheese weight relieved Trad + weighs in at 9.6 lbs
                My no weight relieved B7 weighs a hair over 10lbs

I don't concern myself in that as each guitar is different, there are plenty of dogs not weight relieved and plenty of gems that are. Same goes for eras, good and bad in every production year.
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
                  My swiss cheese weight relieved Trad + weighs in at 9.6 lbs
                  My no weight relieved B7 weighs a hair over 10lbs

I don't concern myself in that as each guitar is different, there are plenty of dogs not weight relieved and plenty of gems that are. Same goes for eras, good and bad in every production year.
                  I can agree with most of that but I still have yet to play a weight relieved model that I loved the tone of. You guys have to keep in mind that I am also left handed so finding a used or new LP is at least 15 times harder for me. I base my opinions on the few I have been lucky enough to have the opportunity to play.

Comment

yeah, being a lefty increases your odds of getting a bad one
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Being a lefty increases your odds of wishing you had learned to play righty.

Comment

Well, hell is freezing over, it was -8 F today. So yeah, it's possible Lefty likes a Gibson I have several Les Pauls ranging from 1974 to 2012 and it really wasn't difficult finding good ones. Gibson has made good Les Pauls in just about every era and they're not the exceptions either.
                        Rudy
                        www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
                          yeah, being a lefty increases your odds of getting a bad one
                          Not saying or implying that Shawn. I am just saying they're hard to find regardless. Also as a Lefty I can tell you when I find a nice guitar I, like most other lefties tend to hold on to it. Chances are if you find a used lefty it's a dog or the guy was really hurting for cash, The one I am speaking of in this thread had to be the latter because it was a used gem. Really well built, great playing and sounding. The guy who owns the shop told me a friend of his sold it to them and was really hurting when he did.
                          Last edited by leftykingv2; 01-07-2014, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
                            Being a lefty increases your odds of wishing you had learned to play righty.
                            +1

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                              Well, hell is freezing over, it was -8 F today. So yeah, it's possible Lefty likes a Gibson I have several Les Pauls ranging from 1974 to 2012 and it really wasn't difficult finding good ones. Gibson has made good Les Pauls in just about every era and they're not the exceptions either.
                              I agree there are good ones from every era. But I honestly have played more dogs that were made mid 90's to present than in any other era(s). I love my Original 1976 Standard and a lot of people say the "Norlin" era was horrible. I've honestly never played a bad 70's Les Paul and some purists won't touch them. It's all subjective to your own opinion or tastes. To each their own bro.

Comment

Working...
                              X