Ever wonder why guitars cost so much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by leftykingv2 View Post
    I guess you missed what was said directly after this sentence about how it was "Just my opinion sorry if it offends anyone." Like I said I don't have experience with these models you guys are speaking of aside from the cheaper Eastman's that I've played and they were nothing special.
    I've taught both my kids that saying "no offense" doesn't give someone license to be an asshole. I could say "you are a fuckin' douchenozzle and your breath could level a city block. JMHO, no offense" But regardless of disclaimers, it would still be rude to say so. Particularly as I've never smelled your breath

Originally posted by leftykingv2 View Post
    Not trying to offend you bro but you get what you pay for when it comes to guitars, or at least it's supposed to be that way. I don't know. Maybe you're Badens are better. I've never played one and that was a bit dick-ish to draw a conclusion that way so my apologies.
    both Badens retailed for AU$3,800. Could buy a couple of entry level Martins for that much. I believe they go for under $2k in the US. I would hope that I get what I paid for. I was fortunate to pick them up as closeouts and paid significantly less, so I think they were a hell of a deal.
    Hail yesterday

Comment

• Originally posted by leftykingv2 View Post
      you get what you pay for when it comes to guitars, or at least it's supposed to be that way. .
      This statement here....at least the last part of it, is why this thread was basically started. You do NOT get what you pay for these days when you place two guitars, same brand, same body style (going with Fender Stratocaster here) different build location, side by side and the cost difference doesn't equal the actual value between the two.

This one:

in no way shape or form is worth $700 more than this one:

and that's the street price difference

The MSRP difference of $1010 is ridiculous

And then there's these two that again, are the same guitar except for the two point tremolo:

Where is the value is buying the American standard at that price difference when you can buy the Mexi (which are ridiculously good guitars as they are and with proper setup, be made to play just as well as the American), upgrade any parts you want to match the value of the parts on the American and still come out way ahead?

The same can be said if you really downgrade and buy a new Squier.

This:

out of the box doesn't measure up to the American I'm sure, but.....Upgrade it and put work into it, you'll have a guitar that sounds and plays JUST as well as the American for FAR less $.

That's what this thread is about
      Last edited by bombtek; 01-19-2014, 08:19 AM.
      I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

• Originally posted by bombtek View Post
        You do NOT get what you pay for these days when you place two guitars, same brand, same body style (going with Fender Stratocaster here) different build location, side by side and the cost difference doesn't equal the actual value between the two.

This one:

in no way shape or form is worth $700 more than this one:

and that's the street price difference

The MSRP difference of $1010 is ridiculous
        Talk about timing. Just last night I started a thread on the Strat-Talk forum where I mentioned this very thing. I went to Guitar Center and played two Standard Stratocasters, one Mexican and one American, and saw ZERO difference between them in feel, playability, fret work, finish, or overall quality. None at all. Granted, I played them both unplugged and if I had plugged them in, I might have seen a difference. But even if that were the case, I somehow doubt that it would cost me $1000.00 to put them on par, especially since you can buy decent loaded pickguards for under $100.00 these days. You can get one from Seymour Duncan loaded with three Hot Rails for under $300.00. The bridges were even the same type on these.

So yeah, I agree. This is a case where you definitely aren't getting what you pay for with the American version. In a few years, the American Strat will resell for maybe $200.00-$250.00 more than the Mexican and even that doesn't make up for the disparity in initial cost.
        Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

• Then why don't we just close all US factories and build everything in China with two dollar daily labor.

Comment

• I say we go the other way and only sell THE AMERICAN guitars here in AMERICA from companies that build American guitars. The price would be able to be lowered if that was the only option we had going therefore making it worth the price. If you want an import, then a HEAVY import tax should be imposed making the import NOT worth the extra coin it would take to get it.
            I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

• Originally posted by artonsafari View Post
              Japanese guitars, cars, motorcycles were pretty much disposable when they first hit the shores of the US.
              Then was the wave from Korea.
              Now we have China.

They all step up their game along the way. The Chinese models I've played haven't left much of an impression.
              Cheap guitars.
              The Charvel Desolation Soloist I had was actually really nice in some regards. The neck was amazing, especially after putting a couple hours and finish sanding the back. The components were solid and it sounded really nic. It just had tons of little finish flaws and aesthetic problems. From the standpoint of just being a guitar, it was actually quite nice. I thought they were overpriced though. Too much money for an entry-level guitar.
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

• Originally posted by bombtek View Post
                I say we go the other way and only sell THE AMERICAN guitars here in AMERICA from companies that build American guitars. The price would be able to be lowered if that was the only option we had going therefore making it worth the price. If you want an import, then a HEAVY import tax should be imposed making the import NOT worth the extra coin it would take to get it.
                all very nice, but not when your overhead is 10 times more expensive then the guys on the workfloor
                It's the profits that go upstairs, not downstairs, and it's the cuts that happen on the ground floor, not the board of directors room at the 35th floor
                "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
                  all very nice, but not when your overhead is 10 times more expensive then the guys on the workfloor
                  It's the profits that go upstairs, not downstairs, and it's the cuts that happen on the ground floor, not the board of directors room at the 35th floor
                  I was just responding unrealistically to the unrealistic post above my response

Comment

Working...
                  X