EVH Axes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVH Axes

Been looking at lower end top mounted floyded/maple boarded guitars for a while now
    and though I am an AS fan, the stories about the High E being pulled off the FB because of misaligned necks kinda puts me off of those
    2nd hand promods are rare over here and fetch newprices

Already checked out Shreddermon's Striped/Charvel thread, but my eye also caught the WG standards

So anyone have experience on both the Striped series and the WG Standards?
    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

I played a WG standard for a few minutes. Made in Indonesia pretty good guitar. I have not played a striped guitar that's I would buy yet.

Comment

You can loosen the neck plate screws and re align the neck, you did know that right?
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
        You can loosen the neck plate screws and re align the neck, you did know that right?
        Does that still work with a tight neck pocket?

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I was looking to buy a used MIJ Wolfgang and high E was almost off the board. The neck pocket looked cut correctly and was cut tight. You could still move the neck left and right as the screws with clearly not tightened enough to hold the neck in alignment. I guess there may be more tension pulling on the heavier strings which pulled the neck slightly upwards. I think it probably would have been easy to fit with a screw driver, but the seller would not let me correct it or even acknowledge the issue which I thought was a bit of dick move, so I walked away from the deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Radiohead View Post
            I guess there may be more tension pulling on the heavier strings which pulled the neck slightly upwards.
            I would think, to get the high E back on the board, you would actually need to pull the neck upwards (towards the low E)
            And looking at the numbers on my pack of d'Addarios, the unwound strings have the highest tension, so that probably wouldn't help much

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
              I would think, to get the high E back on the board, you would actually need to pull the neck upwards (towards the low E)
              And looking at the numbers on my pack of d'Addarios, the unwound strings have the highest tension, so that probably wouldn't help much
              Yes, you are right. My mistake. The neck must have been pulled downward, not upward to have the high e almost off the board. Interesting to hear the highest tension is on the G, B, E... but makes sense.

Comment

Give the strings some slack and loosen the neck plate screws and adjust whichever way to bring the strings neck into alignment.
                Very simple to do.
                I played one of the stripped EVH's and wasn't all that impressed with the workmanship.
                Fret ends had sprouted and sloppy neck pocket.
                All that could be fixed I suppose but for $899.00 no case I opted not to buy it.
                Last edited by straycat; 03-01-2015, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                  All that could be fixed I suppose but for $899.00 no case I opted not to buy it.
                  $899 sounds like the Special, not the Standard

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

This was the strat head stripped EVH.

Comment

I saw one of those EVH Striped at the local GC and my Adrian Smith SDX feels better lol.

Comment

I check out some EVHs thought they were pretty bad. It was really a sloppy guitar. The SDX AS model felt a lot better to me and build wise seemed a lot more solid.

Comment

I have also played one of the new EVH Striped series guitars and wasn't impressed. What is it with that price point though? It seems a few others in that range I played where just as bad, can't remember brand as I was just killing time but is this where we are now?
                          I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Originally posted by tomanyjacksons View Post
                            I have also played one of the new EVH Striped series guitars and wasn't impressed. What is it with that price point though? It seems a few others in that range I played where just as bad, can't remember brand as I was just killing time but is this where we are now?
                            Was this by any chance at Guitar Center? If so, then it's just par for the course. Half their instruments have been abused, had parts stolen, etc.... And of course there's my favorite: when a string is out of tune on a locking trem, beyond what the fine-tuner can fix, and I have to go and find an allen wrench.
                            Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

From what I understand the AS still is a somewhat floating floyd

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Working...
                              X